New Identity theft Scam....be aware

Jan 26th, 2004, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

New Identity theft Scam....be aware

I am usually " Mr Skeptic" about emails I receive from others..but this checks out.

I am only posting it her because of the recent credit card theft post.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
FDIC-PR-6-2004 January 23, 2004

FDIC And FBI Investigating Fraudulent Emails

At approximately 12:00 p.m. (EST) on January 23, 2004, FDIC Consumer Call Centers in Kansas City, Missouri, and Washington, D.C., began receiving a large number of complaints by consumers who received an email that has the appearance of being sent from the FDIC. The email informs the recipient that Department of Homeland Security Director Tom Ridge has advised the FDIC to suspend all deposit insurance on the recipients bank account due to suspected violations of the USA PATRIOT Act. The email further indicates that deposit insurance will be suspended until personal identity, including bank account information, can be verified.

This email was not sent by the FDIC and is a fraudulent attempt to obtain personal information from consumers. Financial institutions and consumers should NOT access the link provided within the body of the email and should NOT under any circumstances provide any personal information through this media.

The FDIC and the FBI are attempting to identify the source of the emails and disrupt the transmission. Until this is achieved, consumers are asked to report any similar attempts to obtain this information to the FDIC by sending information to [email protected].

For verification: http://www.fDIC.GOV
Jan 26th, 2004, 10:32 AM

I'm so proud. I always wondered who gets all these strange scam emails. Well, I got one just last week very much like this. It was supposedly from Citibank asking for various personal financial information with the warning that failure to provide this information would result in the cancellation of my credit cards. It stated this was a result of many recent cases of fraudulent use of credit cards and indentity theft and this was a mean of protecting their clients. Ironically within hours of receiving that email, I got another one from Citibank, warning that this scam email was being circulated and asking to forward it to them if you get one, also reminding me to never give such information out.

Oddly enough, neither of those emails were caught by my spam blocker. I wondered at the time, how many people fall for that scam asking to provide the financial information.

But thanks for the heads up, Dick.
Jan 26th, 2004, 10:52 AM

I got the same FDIC e-mail a couple hours ago. I have pasted it at the end of this reply if anyone is interested.

Patrick, I also got the Citi Bank one last week. I forwarded it to the Citi Bank fraud department and got a standard reply from them that they know about it and were working on it.

Here is the FDIC one I got today:

To whom it may concern;
In cooperation with the Department Of Homeland Security, Federal, State and Local Governments your account has been denied insurance from the Federal
Deposit Insurance Corporation due to suspected violations of the Patriot Act. While we have only a limited amount of evidence gathered on your account at
this time it is enough to suspect that currency violations may have occurred in your account and due to this activity we have withdrawn Federal Deposit
Insurance on your account until we verify that your account has not been used in a violation of the Patriot Act.

As a result Department Of Homeland Security Director Tom Ridge has advised the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation to suspend all deposit insurance on
your account until such time as we can verify your identity and your account information.

Please verify through our IDVerify below. This information will be checked against a federal government database for identity verification. This only takes
up to a minute and when we have verified your identity you will be notified of said verification and all suspensions of insurance on your account will be
lifted.

http://www.fdic.gov/idverify/cgi-bin/index.htm

Failure to use IDVerify below will cause all insurance for your account to be terminated and all records of your account history will be sent to the
Federal Bureau of Investigation in Washington D.C. for analysis and verification. Failure to provide proper identity may also result in a visit from Local,
State or Federal Government or Homeland Security Officials.

Thank you for your time and consideration in this matter.

Donald E. Powell

Chairman Emeritus FDIC

John D. Hawke, Jr.

Comptroller of the Currency

Michael E. Bartell

Chief Information Officer
Jan 26th, 2004, 11:11 AM

Well I got one on my AOL account from somebody claiming they had submitted a charge on my credit card which had been rejected and I would have to pay $35 if I didn't re submit my credit card number.

Immediately forwarded it to AOL security. Folks never give out credit card information if you receive unsolicited e mail.

These scams are originating in the Ukraine and Belarus among other places. Never submit info such as this, never, never, never.
Jan 26th, 2004, 11:24 AM

Patrick, I received one also from Citibank a couple of weeks ago....Mine was so full of spellings Errors that I laughed when I was reading it..
Jan 26th, 2004, 12:17 PM

Finally, an real-life example of the Patriot Act being used for some nefarious purpose.
Jan 26th, 2004, 12:47 PM

I got the Citibank one a couple of weeks ago too. In addition to the typos and grammatical errors, it had an msn address so I assumed it was fake.
Jan 26th, 2004, 02:38 PM

I also received both of these messages (from "Citibank" and "the FDIC," however, I didn't open either, I just deleted them. I'm surprised to hear of so many people opening spams. To me, it was clearly spam... if the FDIC, the FBI or Citibank have serious issues relating to my bank account, I seriously doubt they'd e-mail me. I don't mean to criticize anyone for opening it, but maybe heighten their awareness instead, to think before opening. It could save you literally thousands of dollars. My husband and I have lost everything - all our business records; bookkeeping records, our web site records, past correspondence, etc., not once, but TWICE due to our negligence. I used to open just about anything that arrived in my queue. But after you pay for a new computer (ours was left completely blank), all of your bookkeeping to be archived & recreated, and have to recreate your entire business record system - TWICE you learn (finally). All of this was because of a virus attached to spam from who knows where? So, folks, not to lecture, but don't open anything that seems mysterious when you think about it, and think about it before automatically opening it. That will at least filter out a lot of the more obvious junk (and viruses). Also, don't forget your virus protection software. We haven't had a single problem since we started being more cautious. Of course, there are always those non-suspecting slimy spams that slip through from time to time anyway.

I don't know how those spammers sleep at night.
Jan 26th, 2004, 05:27 PM

Actually since I do receive frequent emails from Citibank including requested newsletters about special American Aadvantage offers, I had no reason not to open it. There was no reason to suspect it was spam or scam. And it is odd that although it didn't come through my OK'd Citibank address, it still wasn't weeded out by my spam blocker. These guys are clever, I'll say that for them.
Jan 26th, 2004, 06:50 PM

I also got this email. Of course I knew what it was as soon as I got it -- I don't even have an account with Citibank. I've also received a similar email from AT&T Wireless -- the problem there is that I closed my account with them a year ago.

It is getting so that I am almost afraid to open even the ones I expect for accounts I do have, especially the ones I routinely pay on-line. I have quit using the links in the emails to go to my accounts (even the ones I'm expecting) and now only go to the URLs I know are good for my accounts which I've previuosly bookmarked.
Jan 26th, 2004, 09:40 PM

I've been getting similar emails purporting to be from Paypal (which I have never used) and Earthlink. They all ask for "reverification" of a credit card number or sometimes a bank PIN (yeah, right!). Thanks to advice I got on fodors, I no longer use my preview pane in Outlook Express so I delete spam without it ever being opened.

Has anyone else noticed a huge increase in spam lately? I don't get so much on my free accounts at hotmail and yahoo, but the account I actually pay for has just been deluged. I'm about ready to dump it.
Jan 27th, 2004, 04:04 AM

Interesting, what you just posted Marilyn. Used to be that it was the anonymous mailers like Yahoo or Hotmail that got most of the spam. I remember abandoning an email box or two.

It made me think though. Are most of you receiving this spam through the email address that came with your ISP account? I'm just wondering because we never ours, but check it incase the ISP tries to reach us and have never gotten one spam on it. We own several domains, so we can setup or change email addresses at will, and yet still haven't gotten much, except on one address.

I've been working to figure out who is selling these email account lists. So, we signed up for each thing with a different email addy - [email protected], [email protected], etc. Nothing, except for one online shop. That address is now routed out to never never land.

Nothing definitive, but I'd wonder who has access to your ISPs email address list (and why), because it seems that's a common link.
Jan 27th, 2004, 06:05 AM
ira

Dear friends,

I have recently embezzeled over twenty million dollars US from my government. In order to get the money out of my country, I need a safe bank account which will accept electronic transfers.

If you will send me your bank account number and PIN number. I shall wire the money to your account. I trust you not to keep the money.

I shall give five hundred thousand dollars US for your help.
Jan 27th, 2004, 06:16 AM

We get these in the UK sometimes too ? my bank, Lloyds TSB, had a warning on the website about it.

Luckily, I have always been aware that banks (here at least) do not send emails of this kind, email being too public. For security, banks always use telephone, a message diverting me to the secure section of their website, or good old fashioned Royal Mail.

I would be very very suspicious of any message I got via email or text.
Jan 27th, 2004, 08:55 AM

Ira, I just got one of those Nigerian scams yesterday. When we owned a business, I used to get a letter by mail at least half a dozen times a year with the same scam. How much easier and cheaper it is for the scammers now with email! What used to amuse me was that the letters always started by telling me that the writer had obtained the money in some illegal fashion. So the writer was telling me from the getgo that he was a crook! Also, the sums were so fantastic ($30 million etc) that I could never understand how anyone fell for it.

Clifton, the account that is getting so much spam lately is a mindspring account that I pay for. It's not connected to our ISP at all. I think we are going to get a domain name to escape the problem.
Jan 27th, 2004, 09:00 AM

I took have been overwhelmed with spam. I have received 3 different notifications from "Earthlink", which, of course isn't Earthlink but some scam artist. It was really creepy that they even had my email address and were doing this to me. I feel sorry for someone that would be so trusting and naive and give them the information they are asking for. EX: credit card #
Jan 27th, 2004, 09:08 AM

I got a fraudulent Earthlink message this morning and when I right-clicked on it and looked at the properties, there was some mention of Cyrillic code. So I think that one was coming from Ukraine or Belarus, as xyz123 said.
Jan 27th, 2004, 09:52 AM

Funny, Ira. I just got one of those except mine was from a member of the South African government. I guess too many people know about the Nigerian one. Who's next? Madagascar?
Jan 27th, 2004, 11:15 AM

Ira,

You mean I should not have e-mailed my bank account number and I will not receive the four million dollars Abdul Gabba (or whatever his name was) promised me in his e-mail? He sounded so sincere! So much for early retirement.
Jan 27th, 2004, 11:26 AM

The scary thing is, for these types of emails to perpetuate, people (ahem, idiots) must be falling for them. (No offense, Maitai Tom!)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO