New Help with Tentative Trip Through Multiple Countries

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10th, 2005, 11:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok...looks like I may be able to leave the US a bit earlier than I expected. I will now have 25 nights and 26 days (though on a super strict budget).

Here is the deal...I am getting conflicting views on how long I should stay in my target cities. Any advice? The places I will not budge on are:

Paris, Bruges, Amsterdam, Berlin, Prague.

I fly into London on a Thursday night (land at 8) and expect to fly into Paris early the following Morning. My question is:

How long should I spend in each of the above cities to get a decent taste (Museum, food, nightlife, walking). Further, I was thinking of throwing in one day to do a day excursion out of Paris.

Where I fly out of is still up in the air. Right now its Paris, but it may end up being in Zurich, which would tempt me to head up to Interlaken for a night/day (at the end of the trip) to do some extreme sports.

I am open to suggestions...and was thinking of taking a one night stop either on the way to Berlin (from Amsterdam) or from Berlin to Prague).

I am not against heading to any of the following places as well: Vienna, Budapest, Munich, Interlaken.

I am 30 and travelling alone.

Thanks gang...you dont know how much this board has already helped.

Dr. Rex...you advise on a flu shot for this late march, early april excursion?
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 12:51 AM

Bratislava is charming.
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 03:39 AM

My probably inadequate reply is gonna be VERY subjective but here goes: for Amsterdam it would depend on how MANY of the museums you want to see. Even though the Rijksmuseum is currently "under renovation" there are still between 400-450 major, and I do mean MAJOR works on view; then there's the Rembrandt and a couple other places not to mention the Anne Frank House, the churches, etc., etc. I would advise at least three days there at a minimum.

Berlin..do you wish to stick to the museums or would you also be interested in seeing at least one of the two Potsdam palaces, too...if yes to the latter that alone could easily take up a full day. I'd probably give Berlin at least four days.

Ditto at least three if not four days in Prague.

You are in for a wonderful time IMO as these cities offer so much and they are all different in so many ways. What a trip!!!!!
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 03:50 AM

Here's my subjective suggestion. I've not been to Berlin but I have been to the other four cities you mentioned. I'd do:
6 nights Paris (you said you wanted a day trip)
2 nights Brugge
3 nights Amsterdam
4 nights Berlin
4 nights Prague
2 nights Munich
4 nights Switzerland (fly home from there)

The trips between Paris and Brugge and Brugge and Amsterdam are very short and easy and really don't eat up a whole day of sightseeing. The others are longer.

I don't know about Dr Rex but Nurse Isabel says definitly get the flu shot. The flu is nasty this year and flu season often lasts well into April. But get it soon if you are going in March as it takes a few weeks to kick in.
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 04:08 AM
ira

Hi pm,

Is there a reason for not spending a few days in London?

Old Feb 11th, 2005, 04:14 AM

I recommend a stop between Berlin and Prague. Either Dresden (if you want to see another, although smaller city) or Meissen (small town). Or Bad Schandau for scenery (National Park, international trains stop here).
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 07:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks ladies and gents. I think I will add a night to Amsterdam because I want to go to a ton of museums and I may head up to the Hague to see the War Tribunal (a friend's friend is a prosecutor and it's a once in a lifetime surreal experience).

As for why I am not staying in London...well, I'd like to, but staying there is even more expensive than the Euro. I feel I can always go to London (why I feel that, I do not know).

The other, while it may seem silly reason, is I would like to experience nightlife on four of the cities on my list (Paris, Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin) and I am 30. So suffice to say, I felt spending a weekend in each of those cities is imperative.

Is that a wrong assumption? Again, open to suggestions. That being said, if it is not necessary to be in, let's say Prague, on the weekend to enjoy nightlife, than I would stay in London from Thurs-Sun to start the trip.

Any suggestions for a day trip outside of Paris? Mind you, I am a mix between a NYC kid and a dairy farmer...so I can adapt and welcome all kinds of fun excursions.

Old Feb 11th, 2005, 07:51 AM

We very much enjoyed our side trip to Giverny. Of course, we are Monet fans and seeing the house, the gardens and the lily pond was very special for us.
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 07:57 AM

I think my 2 favorite destinations for day trips from Paris are Chartres and Giverny. You will know whether exquisite gothic cathedrals or gorgeous gardens appeal to you more. Many would add Versailles - the choice if you want to see an over-the-top palace.
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 08:40 AM
rex

Nurse Isabel is likely more qualified to give advfice than I am; I am a pediatrician specializing in newborn ICU, and I do not give individual personal medical advice to any adult patient (nor to any child that I have not personally seen).

I have <i>opinions</i> on public health and other matters of science in the public interest, and at times those might sound like medical advice. If I have confused you on this, I apologize.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 08:46 AM
ira

Hi pm,

&gt;if it is not necessary to be in, let's say Prague, on the weekend to enjoy nightlife, than I would stay in London from Thurs-Sun to start the trip.&lt;

You are planning to visit major cities. They don't shut down at 8:00 PM.

Since you are flying into London, I suggest that you give it at least a few days.

Old Feb 11th, 2005, 08:54 AM

If you get to Bruges by noon, I would think that one night is sufficient, with an early evening departure the next day to Amsterdam. That would give you enough time to see the museums and wander the old streets after museum hours. Do go up the city hall tower.
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 09:15 AM
Original Poster

Is Brussels worth the stop?