Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

New flight tax has thrown the UK into total confusion.

Jan 13th, 2007, 04:45 AM
Original Poster

OMG the government have done it again !!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6258213.stm

I have flights with BMI and Easy Jet booked but I booked them on 19th Dec, I suspect I have already paid but how do I know? EJ and BMI are not letting us know what to do yet. So We will have to wait and see.

I wonder, is this another 'mountain out of a molehill' or is it a genuine problem that could see pasengers turned away from their flight check in.

Well done Gordon Brown, another of this governments mighty cock ups.
Muck
Jan 13th, 2007, 04:50 AM
ira

Hi M,

Sounds like a minor tempest in a tiny teacup.

Jan 13th, 2007, 05:17 AM

this is exactly what UK air travel needs after that recent ridiculous terror panic that caused complete chaos for days.

sometimes i wonder if we can ever do anything right.
Jan 13th, 2007, 05:25 AM

<<< New flight tax has thrown the UK into total confusion. >>>

Anyone in the UK even slightly confused?
Jan 13th, 2007, 05:28 AM

I did read somewhere that if you haven't already paid it (eg you booked your tickets some time ago when the Departure Tax was half what it is going to become on Feb 1st) the airling will have to pay it, but cannot legally demand it from you. Easyjet say they are going to beg all their passengers to play fair and pay up. Check in will take longer as the difference has to be collected by the check-in desk, and you can expect a lot of arguements.
This is just one more way Gordon Brown has devised for squeezing money out of us. I mean, what countries besides 3rd world have departure taxes?
Jan 13th, 2007, 05:29 AM

This has been going on for more than 30 years. Taxes rises and/or fuel surcharges are applied, and some airlines collect the difference and others don't. And some will collect the difference from some passengers but not others. Hardly chaos. Just be ready to pay a supplement at check-in and consider yourself fortunate if you don't.
Jan 13th, 2007, 05:33 AM

P.S. I was working for an airline in 1973 when surprise fuel surcharges appeared due to the oil embargo, and I had to go through the check-in lines looking at people's tickets and collecting the necessary amount, upon which I would just initial their flight coupon. We had absolutely no legal right to do this but just about everybody paid up. When one person has the plane and all the other person has is the ticket, and you want to leave, you're not in much of a position to argue on the spot.
Jan 13th, 2007, 05:46 AM
Original Poster

Yes Alan, plenty of people are confused.
ME BEING ONE OF THEM !

M
Jan 13th, 2007, 05:59 AM

Mucky
When are you due to fly? As I am boked on a BMIbaby flight to Galsgow in about 4 weeks. So I will let you know how I get on.
Jan 13th, 2007, 06:34 AM
Original Poster

Hi Crazy,
Prague. Out of Bristol 22/2. Back to Cardiff 26/2.

Sounds like your first lol I suppose by then all will be clear. ish

M
Jan 13th, 2007, 07:10 AM

The local radio was reporting that Easyjet is requiring all passengers to pay the tax by Monday 15h January. Ryanair says all passengers are being Emailed, and must pay 24 hours before departure. BA is not passing the tax onto people who had booked and paid before the increase was announced.

Several airlines have not yet released their policy. So I can understand people being confused.
Jan 13th, 2007, 07:50 AM

It sounds like an auction is next: what will you bid to get out of Birmingham?
Jan 13th, 2007, 09:51 AM
Original Poster

Easy Jet were 100% aware of this situation back in December. When Brown, (after a sleepless night changing nappies) thought this one up.

I lifted this from the Easy Jet website under 'latest news' written just after the announcement from G Brown.

"easyJet calls on Brown to relieve air tax trap for millions
Millions of air travellers have been caught in a tax trap by Gordon Brown’s dash to tax the airline industry in Wednesday’s Pre-Budget Report.

easyJet has written to HM Treasury urging Gordon Brown to clarify the tax rules for those passengers who have already purchased flights for travel after 1 February 2007. According to the Chancellor’s statement, the new APD bands will apply to all flights from that date. Yet millions of air travellers have already booked their flights at the previous levels of APD. The arrangement for these passengers is unclear and any attempts to claw back tax could even be illegal under Section 30 of the Finance Act 1994. Not only are UK travelers affected but millions of inbound European tourists could get a nasty surprise when they arrive in the UK and are presented with another tax bill.

easyJet is urging the Chancellor to introduce the new regime for all tickets bought after 1 February 2007.

Andy Harrison, easyJet Chief Executive, said:

“In his Pre-Budget Report, Gordon Brown mugged millions of air travellers and now has made the matter worse.

“As the Government have already acknowledged, APD is a blunt tax. We say that it is the wrong tax for the economy and the wrong tax for the environment. Not all airlines are the same. easyJet flies brand new aircraft with high passenger loads which mean that we emit 30% fewer emissions per passenger kilometre than a traditional airline. It is simply daft that our passengers should pay the same level of APD as the less efficient airlines and even dafter that freight aircraft that fly mange tout from Thailand are not being taxed at all!

“In his rush to grab the extra £1.2 billion of tax, the Chancellor has created confusion with millions of passengers facing a retroactive implementation of the increase in APD. The Chancellor's proposal is akin to asking drinkers to pay extra tax on the wine which they bought a few weeks ago, but have not drunk yet.”

Jan 15th, 2007, 11:48 AM

Does this only apply to flights departing from the UK. For example, I am flying several flights with easyJet in May 2007 but only one will actually be flying into the UK. The rest are outside of UK.

I wouldn't have to pay the tax then?

I already know I have to pay for the tax for my flight home from London to Canada.

Stupid taxes.
Jan 15th, 2007, 12:49 PM

It's a departure tax imposed by the UK government. So it applies only to flights taking off from a UK airport - including domestic flights.
Jan 16th, 2007, 11:04 AM

Just as a point of interest.... do those who are transiting through Uk have to pay departure tax when they fly out of UK?
Jan 16th, 2007, 11:21 AM

I'm flying with Air France out of LHR to Paris and from Paris to Manchester. Since I am flying out of LHR, would we need to check if we are paying more taxes also?
Jan 16th, 2007, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

I had a reply to my enquiry from Easy jet today and they tell me I have already paid the tax.

HOOOOOOOORRRRAYYYY !!!!!

;-)

Muck
Jan 25th, 2007, 04:05 PM

Just had this email form Bmibaby.

This tax increase will apply to all passengers traveling on or after 1st February 2007.

As you have booked to travel on or after 1st February 2007 and booked before 9th December 2006, we are contacting you to advise that regrettably we need to collect the additional tax from you. This tax will be debited from the card that was provided at the time of booking which will save you time, as you will not have to make the payment yourself.

Bookings that were made on or after 9th December 2006 already include the increased tax, and there is nothing further to pay.

bmibaby strongly believe that the increase in APD places an unfair burden on air travellers and the extra money collected by the Government should be reinvested into the environmental initiatives that it was created to fund.

Unfortunately this situation is beyond our control and we have no choice but to implement the tax increase. bmibaby therefore apologise for the need to recover the additional tax.

Important note: bmibaby are committed to offering long term low fares and in order to continue doing this we are unfortunately unable to absorb the additional tax that the Government have imposed on all of us.

Please note in order to travel this additional tax must be paid or it will result in you not being allowed to board your flight. Click here to view the terms and conditions. We appreciate your support at this time and acknowledge that this news will not be received favourably by you and has definitely not been supported by bmibaby. It is with great regret that we have to send this email to you.

bmibaby were one of the airlines that campaigned heavily against the rise in tax and are reluctant in having to contact you to ask for the additional tax.

Thank you for your understanding and we hope you enjoy your flight with bmibaby.

Yours sincerely,

Crawford Rix

bmibaby Managing Director
Jan 25th, 2007, 06:06 PM

I've read it a reply from a Continental Airlines executive on another board that they will swallow the tax for those who book before the announcement and travel after the effective date.

Thumbs up to them.

But I can understand why bmibaby or other LCC why they need to collect it. Many of them have fares that are close to free. They can't afford to swallow that tax, as they'll be flying some people for less than "free".

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO