New Film Set in Provence

Search

New Film Set in Provence

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13th, 2006, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Film Set in Provence

We saw the new film "A Good Year" based on a Peter Mayle novel.

It is marvelous. All who love Provence will be delighted with it. It is set in Gordes, Roussillon, etc.

The critic in the New York Times gave it a lukewarm review. He is a dunce.
Old Nov 13th, 2006, 01:09 PM

Or maybe has artistic differences with you. I like Russell Crowe as an actor, and will like the scenery, so will go to it but I've never cared for Peter Mayle nor the BBC film based on his book. However, every review I have read and heard of this film was, unfortunately, lukewarm and I've read about 3-4 so I don't think that particular critic can be called a dunce as many agree with him or her.
Old Nov 13th, 2006, 01:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Hi Stu, I posted this earlier:
"Since we had to cancel our trip this year I looked forward to this film in spite of some terrible reviews, so I was pleasantly surprised to enjoy it

Crowe was more of a toad than a frog who turns into a prince I thought it was well cast, including the dog. They could have been more subtle about the American couple who order salad Nicoizee with lite ranch dressing!
The aerial shots of Gordes were lovely. I spotted the corner of the TREZ CHER (and not worth it IMHO) restaurant in Cucuron, "Petite Maison." which is no longer there 'm told nor is there dining and a fim shown at night.
Menerbes is where the woman owned th restaurant. Albert Finney was well cast and wished I could have seen more of him.
Remember him with Audrey Hepburn in "Two for the road"? (sigh)

Old Nov 13th, 2006, 01:24 PM

My group of friends and I that traveled to Provence this summer for 60th birthday celebrations went to see A Good Year last night and we all loved it! It brought back so many memories and seeing the various villages again was very special. It's certainly not an Academy Award-type moveie, nor is it billed as such -- just a light comedy/love story set in a gorgeous part of the world. Frankly, I've seen too many movies that the critics rave about that I see no redeeming qualities in so I'm pretty skeptical about movie critics!

joy/luvparee
Old Nov 13th, 2006, 01:28 PM

My husband and I both enjoyed this movie. We went for the scenery, not expecting much, seeing how we too had read some luke warm reviews. But it was a very relaxing two hours and a fun movie. Don't listen to the critics.
Old Nov 13th, 2006, 01:46 PM

I think Crowe showed a hidden talent for comedy.
Old Nov 13th, 2006, 03:01 PM
lyb

I went to see A Good Year Saturday. Truly enjoyed it and has moved Provence high up on my list of places to go to.

I like Russell Crowe even more like this, because I think it showed more of his really mischevious personality.

I told my friend who's been to Provence and is wine collector, that she must go see it.

Also the soundtrack was nice.

All in all a pleasant escapist 2 hours!
Old Nov 13th, 2006, 03:19 PM
kdcwood

This isn't a movie for critics, but it's very much a movie for certain kinds of people... travelers, romantics, especially those romantic travelers who love Provence.

I posted on a thread this weekend about the movie and gave some info on some of the filming locations in Provence and provided some photo links. Some of you might be interested too.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threadselect.jsp?fid=2

Kathy

Old Nov 13th, 2006, 04:26 PM

The beautiful woman in the film was voted one of the ten obscure women Esquire loved in their November issue
MARION COTILLARD, 31
Why you might know her: The Cotillards are a dramatic clan—both her parents were theater actors—but Marion still had to earn her success. As the family Web site, cotillard.net, explains, "Things did not come out of nothing; many years of zygomatic stretching exercises with her mum in front of every mirror were required to sharpen her art and open to her the doors of conservatory stage.
She was in "The Long Engagement."
Old Nov 13th, 2006, 04:33 PM

P.S. She's now making a film playing Edith Piaf. "La Vie en Rose."
Old Nov 13th, 2006, 04:54 PM

The film only got a 29% composite rating on rottentomatoes.com--go figure.
Old Nov 13th, 2006, 08:16 PM

The heck with film critics. LW and I liked this movie very much. Albert Finney is an old favorite of mine and Marion Cotillard left me panting for more.
Old Nov 16th, 2006, 01:54 AM

I saw it and hated it. It was full of stereotypes, predictable and at times laughable. The "zany" antics with the Smart car was a sure laugh for the american market of gas guzzling tanks har har, please! Since when do you see french women riding a bike down a route national or departemental with a breezy cotton top, cut firm butt with a basket loaded with fruit and a baguette? Only a suicidal French woman would do that! I didnt know that france had moved back to 1945 again. The only sign that the modern world existed was a cell phone, one brief shot of an iPod and the Smart car. Lots of Pilaf and Trenet? Sigh. I disliked the fast paced editing which did not match with the more relaxed pace of provence. Of course, they were trying to reflect the pace of the main character but slow it down for the shots of provence please! I dont even think the film was worth it for the scenery. Provence deserves long loving caressing shots, not quick snippets.
Old Nov 16th, 2006, 02:05 AM

MorganB, you make some valid points.

Regarding your comment about a french woman riding a bike down a route national or departemental with a breezy cotton top, cute butt and a basket loaded with fruit and a baguette - You just know I had my eyes firmly on the alluring baguette!
Old Nov 16th, 2006, 05:07 AM

In my opinion, being able to look at Russell Crowe and Provence in one sitting is a very nice way to spend a couple of hours! I liked the movie very much.

Cigalechanta, I agree with you. I wished there was more scenes with Albert Finney. He is such a great actor. Two for the Road is one of my favorite films.

Johanna
Old Nov 16th, 2006, 08:08 AM
lyb

wow...Morgan,

You do know this was a work of fiction for entertainment purposes and not a documentary, right?
Old Nov 16th, 2006, 08:29 AM

I saw the film and enjoyed it, although I thought a couple of scenes could have been slimmed down or taken out to tighten the pace a bit.

Personally I got the impression that the majority of critics were being unduly harsh to get back at Russell Crowe somehow. Many things I read seemed exaggerated to me.
Old Nov 16th, 2006, 02:47 PM

Morgan, the villages where we stay and the friends we have, like us, do not have cell phones. There are people who are very much like that as there are Italians like in the Sopranos, Brits like in Saturday night, Sunday morning.
I have some funnier stories. These things and these prople do exist.
Old Nov 16th, 2006, 03:15 PM

I enjoyed this movie. I go to those movies mostly for the scenery and I find there never is enough. Loved the dog!
Old Nov 16th, 2006, 04:47 PM

I have to say, I wasn't too impressed with the movie. But I think that is because I just happened to read the book the weekend before (not realizing the movie was being released). The movie was definately a "fluff" version of the book, and I found myself irritated that the film strayed so far from the book. I went to see the movie for the lovely scenery (expecting it to not be as good as the book), and only wished there had been more scenery! I was definately left with a feeling of wishing I were going back to Provence...sigh.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -