COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

New federeal baggage regulations

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 04:58 PM
Kathy

New federeal baggage regulations

I hope that as soon as someone returns from a trip they will fill us in on how the new baggage check regulations affected them. I have read that you can no longer lock your luggage and I am not certain how I feel about that. Kathy

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 05:14 PM
Lynn

I used to lock my luggage, but always worried I'd misplace the keys and not be able to get into it myself. Now, I just twist tie the zipper pulls together securely, so they don't separate during handling. I figure luggage locks aren't going to deter anyone who really wants to get into my bags. The keys are identical for all locks with keys. And, your combination is usually apparent on combination locks (the shiniest numbers). They could just as well take the entire bag.

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 05:23 PM
Jen

On CNN yesterday, the reporter was from Regan National. She was talking about some plastic locks that are red that you can put on and if the baggage handlers have to open the bag, they put a paper in the bag explaining it and then put a blue lock on.

I wondered if this was up to each airport or nationwide? Any input?

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 05:27 PM
Nancy

To be clear, you can still lock your luggage. The Transportation Safety Administration has only RECOMMENDED that you leave bags unlocked. This is not an enforceable regulation or law, it is only a recommendation. They want to save the time and trouble of having to cut or break open locks if they need to get into your bag. If you have a suitcase with a lock which is physically a part of the bag, they may have to break the lock and may damage the suitcase in the process. If you lock your bag with one of those locker-type locks, they will cut if off if necessary to inspect the contents.

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 05:34 PM
Elaine

At LAX, they cut the locks off if you didn't have your key available (first made you sign a release). They went through all our suitcases, then they don't allow you to even touch your suitcase so you wouldn't be able to lock it after they checked for explosives. It was very strange.

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 07:07 AM
Bob C

The plastic locks can be gotten thru www.magellans.com. They are called PrivaSeals item# SL626A, 12 for $4.85. Once locked they have to be cut off. We have used them for years.

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 07:22 AM
Gretchen

What I have heard suggested is to "lock" your bag with one of those zip cables put through the zippers or handles. If they have to open your bag they will cut it off, inspect the bag, put in a note that it has been opened and re-"lock" with a cable. If your shoes have steel shanks they recommend putting them on top so they can be gotten to easily.