New Eurostar Italia?

Search

New Eurostar Italia?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7th, 2007, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Eurostar Italia?

So I was talking to someone at Rail Europe, and they said there is a new kind of Eurostar Italia train. Is this correct? Basically, it costs more to reserve seats now on these trains. $31 on RailEurope, opposed to $23. So if this is true, does anyone know if that means it cost more in Italy too? I know most Eurostar trains are 15 Euros for a seat reservation, but are these newer trains more?

Also, if someone knows, can you make Italian train reservations from any train station in Europe? I want to wait until I am in Europe to make seat reservations, but I don't want to wait until Italy to do so. Could I make them in Paris, for example? Also, I already have a railpass, so please don't ask me about point to point tickets

Thanks
Old Dec 7th, 2007, 11:27 AM

Probably talking about the new Eurostar City trains Venice-Milan that RE charges $31 for - i don't know if these cost more than the standard flat fee of 15 euros for all other Eurostars that i've ridden.

I suspect may cost a few more euros in Italy as well.

there are plenty of alternatives Venice-Milan - IC, EC and IC+ trains that either don't require reservations/supplements or in case of IC+ 5 euros and virtually just as quick.
ESCity trains think oriented to businessmen and perhaps you get something else onboard.

In theory you could make reservations for Italian trains from any city in Europe as they have the exact same booking system Raileurope uses (RE owned largely by French railways) but most will not IME (Though in Paris if you go to the International ticket window/Eurail Aid office in Gare St-Lazare they may well do it there; this place i'm fairly sure would do it. But regular stations maybe but i suspect not. Try.

You should have no problem making those reservations in Italy IME - especiall if have a first class pass.
Old Dec 8th, 2007, 03:07 AM

Hi Europhile - I think they are probably refering to the AV (Alta Velocita) trains rather than Eurostar City.

AV trains are faster than ES, and run primarily on the Rome-Florence-Bologna-Milan route - and also between Rome and Naples.

Reservation on these trains costs € 3 if bought in Italy and is included in the ticket price.

No point in buying at 'Rail Europe' unless you like being ripped off. Buy at any station in Italy. A day or two in advance is sufficient.

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Old Dec 8th, 2007, 06:36 AM

Are you sure the AV trains don't charge railpass holders the usual 15 euro fee like most eurostars?

that's what i had to pay last Feb or would have Rome-Naples so i took the IC+ trains each way and those cost 5 euros (with a railpass like OP has)?
Old Dec 8th, 2007, 06:51 AM

Eurostar - Trenitalia
Eurostar City Italia is the new service designed around hose who want to move quickly, in quiet and comfort. The trains' carriages have been fully ...
http://www.trenitalia.com/en/treni_s...ity/index.html
Old Dec 8th, 2007, 07:05 AM

AV trains are no faster than ES on the same routes (like Rome-Florence-Milan). AV trains are those that include some highspeed rail portion.

So, say you are going Rome to Florence. Same travel time, same type of trainsets, same price whether it'a a AV or ES train. The only difference is that the AV comes up from Naples on the highspeed line (so your seat may be pre-warmed). The ES originates in Rome.
Old Dec 9th, 2007, 07:20 AM

I think tim is right about the $31 being for the AV trains, the newest ETR high-speed train sets running Naples-Rome-florence as www.raileurope.com has $31 as the charge with a railpass for 1st class

These are not the EuroStar City trains that i thought you may have been talking about.

Raileurope only lists the AV trains that run every two hours but does not list the hourly IC+ trains that cost only 5 euros and take about 45 minutes longer i think - raileurope.com does not list many trains so you may be led to believe that you'd have to pay $31 extra with a railpass to go Rome-Naples but just last winter i went both ways on nice IC+ trains for a 5 euro reservation fee. And i made reservations for those trains right before the train as i was traveling on a whim.
Old Dec 10th, 2007, 07:33 AM

'Are you sure the AV trains don't charge railpass holders the usual 15 euro fee like most eurostars?'

As far as I'm aware there is no 'usual 15 euro fee,' Pal.

There is a standard 'seat reservation' fee (- € 3 last time I used it).
Railpass holders are then charged a supplement for using the faster ES or AV service.

Maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong ...

Steve
Old Dec 10th, 2007, 07:38 AM

i think we're on the same page

currently in Italy railpass holders must pay a flat 15 euro fee to ride Eurostar Trains

but it could be more for the AV Eurostar (since RailEurope is charging $31 vs $23 for other Eurostar trains i assume it may be a bit more than 15 euros in Italy but not sure - i am sure of the 15 euros i paid several times with a railpass last Jan

Last Feb in Italy any reservation with a pass cost 5 euros - IC trains and IC+ trains - i paid with my pass

with a pass i did not see an 3 euro fee - but i'm talking about the total fee paid to ride Eurostars and not breaking it down to a reservation fee and supplement