New book--Hungry for Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 04:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just out. "Hungry for Paris--the Ultimate Guide to the City's 102 Best Restaurants", by Alexander Lobrano, Gourmet European correspondent, paperback, $16. Really worthwhile both for the recommendations and as a good read.

Reviews include details of the author's own experience with the restaurant followed by a short summation of the place ("In a word&quot and a list of best dishes ("Don't Miss&quot Comes close to my beloved book of Paris Bistros by the Hamburgers. Also contains helpful explanatory starter pieces on how to have a perfect meal in Paris that includes the author's take on various aspects of French dining, e.g. bread, cheese, children, credit cards, dining hours, etc. It's arranged by groupings of arrondissements (e.g. 3 & 4; 5,6,&7, etc.) and at the end of these geographically developed "chapters" he shares more helpful information about Paris dining--"The Rise and Fall of the Paris Brasserie," "The French love for African cooking", etc.

The book contains reviews of several places I've not seen mentioned (or not paid any attention to) elsewhere, including two new Asians that should keep my DH happy. It doesn't include some sacred cows like Grand Vefour, L'Ami Louis, L'Ambroisie and others and he closes with parting shots telling why not.

It's all quite wonderful and a must have for anyone planning a trip to Paris, or just hoping to be planning one. It would also make a wonderful gift for any would-be friend on their way to Paris without you. Enjoy.
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 04:12 AM

Thanks, Julie!
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 04:19 AM
Original Poster

ekscrunchy, I know you'd "eat this one up."
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 05:39 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm just afraid if I see this book I'll have to go to Paris, and I was just there last month.
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 07:02 AM
Original Poster

So was I--and I am going again this month. Our daughter and SIL have just learned that they're having twins and won't be able to make our annual Christmas trip, so we're doing it now and that's where they want to go, so what the heck. I can check out a couple of the places in the book.