there isn't a weight restriction - just that
you must be able to lift it into the overhead
bin without assistance. The second bag also
stays the same - laptop size - and it must
fit under the seat in front.

Whooooeeee! Finally I can put away the scale
and stop compulsively weighing every stitch
of clothing! Of course, I'll have to up my
weight-lifting program for the 'bin-lift'! LOL!
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 03:23 PM

Great info to pass along, thanks!
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 03:43 PM

55"????
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 03:43 PM

And aren't the new weight restrictions on checked baggage about to be imposed? or perhaps that is in October?
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 03:50 PM

"55"????"

That's in centimetres. I think that converts to about 21 inches.

Personally, I would love it if all airlines enforced the one-in-the-bin, one-under-the-seat rule. I'm getting a bellyfull of bin hogs who refuse to put anything under the seat in front of them and take up all the bin space with garment bag, briefcase, overcoat, etc.

Old Jun 28th, 2006, 03:58 PM

This is great news! I don't tend to overstuff my carry-ons, but this time I am moving, so there is a little more to contend with AND I have a 26 hour layover in which I will visit a friend, so I need her gift, some toiletries. . .thanks for telling us!
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 04:43 PM

http://www.britishairways.com/travel...y/public/en_us
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 05:00 PM
rex

For the first time in ten years, I will now reconsider BA as a viable option for transatlantic travel, rather than "only as a last resort" - - based on their "confiscation" of my rollaboard, the last time I flew with them.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 05:09 PM

Re checked luggage, there is a "newish" rule, at least among the Star Alliance group, that no one bag can exceed 50lb. I've been caught on it several times this year and they have enforced it down to the last pound. Its a health and safety issue for the baggage handlers.

I am surprised that BA are saying they will have NO weight restriction on carry-on, as the Star Alliance group is getting VERY picky (been caught on THAT one a few times too )

However, in the many trips I have taken with BA internally in Europe (at least 8 per year), they have NEVER weighed my carry-on - go figure!
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 05:59 PM

"Pets as cargo only..."

Does this mean I can't take my Snakes on a Plane?
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 04:55 AM

I think this is awful news & will put me off flying with BA if I can help it. As one who prefers an aisle seat, I don't want my neck broken if the overhead locker comes open during turbulance or a rough landing and someone else's heavy case lands on me.
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 06:37 AM
rex

<< I don't want my neck broken if the overhead locker comes open during turbulance or a rough landing and someone else's heavy case lands on me. >>

I'll be the first to admit that my sample size is small (about 60 transoceanic flights in my life; most in wide-body aircraft, but not all - - and perhaps 500 domestic flights; only a small number of these were in wodebody aircraft) - - but I have never seen an overhead storage compartment "pop open" because of turbulence.

And serious injury from falling luggage associated with such an event? - - I have to think that it would be newsworthy if it ever occurred.

Death, due to crash, has been a far more common occurrence in my lifetime.
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 06:39 AM

I've never had my carry-on weighed with BA, but I always struggle to keep it under (or around) the weight limit. They lost my luggage for 6 days years ago so I've become compulsive about only taking carry-on with BA (I know, I know, it can happen on any airline, but they were extremely unconcerned).

So, to me, this news deserves a big YIPPEE SKIPPEE!!
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 06:48 AM

"I have never seen an overhead storage compartment "pop open" because of turbulence."

I haven't seen one come open during flight because of turbulence, but I have seen several passengers beaned from gear falling out while the plane was on still on the ground. The last occasion was a three-ring binder full of papers (it belonged to a deadheading pilot who was sitting next to me); the time before that was a small duffle bag. In both cases the poor fellow sitting in the aisle seat got it on the head.

The problem with overhead bins is too much stuff, not enough space. It's even worse in winter when passengers have heavy coats.

Anselm
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 06:57 AM
rex

Thanks, Anselm...

Based on your anecdotal experience of one, the VOLUME of stored items in the overhead storage matters...

... permitting a normal 21 inch rollaboard, weighing, say... 25-30 pounds - - does NOT add to the risk of injury from falling items, except indirectly, in that it would not be there at all, under the old BA rules.
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 07:08 AM

Even if it did notadd to the risk of falling, it adds to the severity of any injury that does result

And you can also argue that the heavier a bag the more likely that it will force the locker open, thus more incidents
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 08:32 AM

Dreadful news for me. I have always flown BA and I like the fact I can check in 2 bags. Who needs to cart big handcarry-ons around the airports and the plane? Smaller lighter bags are much easier to manoeuvre. I travel on my own, usually for about 2 months at a stretch, and couldn't manage with just one 23kg bag. Also don't fancy my chances of lifting a 22" 'no weight limit' into the overhead bin. It might now have to be Continental if I could stand the awful food and the rude staff. AND having to pay for my glasses of red
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 09:23 AM

Oh man, this means that my entire collection of carryon bags that fit BA weight requirements is now useless! I hunted for that BA or VA perfect bag high and low - from rolling mini-duffels, to plain ole gym bags, to superlight, flimsy carryons - I tried them all.

I spent so much time and energy trying to find that weightless bag that will allow me to maximize the use of the entire 13 pound limit and it's all moot now?!

Toungue firmly in cheek...
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 10:16 AM

gertie,
From where to where do you travel? From the link I posted above -

"*World Traveller passengers travelling to or from the US, Canada, Caribbean, Nigeria, Brazil and Mexico will continue to be allowed two checked bags in line with the local government regulations."

I interpret that to mean that the two piece allowance still applies for travelers with through itineraries to/from those regions with a max weight of 23kg per bag. Unless my understanding is incorrect, this is in line with most carriers now.
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 11:02 AM

OOOh, does that mean I'm OK? I travel from Houston-London. Usually leave one bag in London while I bounce around Europe. Pick it up and bring 2 bags back to Houston. I was thinking of setting up a permanent wardrobe in London.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO