Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

New Adventures or 'tried and true' ones...what do you think?

Jan 27th, 2010, 04:22 PM
Original Poster

We are going back to Portugal (hooray!!!) and I hope to convince DH to go to some of the places we have loved in the past, but he wants to 'explore'...I think I am getting to old to be out without a plan, and just hoping that we find a suitable place for shelter before the dark comes down. I love, simply love, going back to the old known places where I have been happy...how about you...if you only have a certain amount of time, would you retrace your steps, or opt for a new adventure.?
Jan 27th, 2010, 04:28 PM

I go back to the tried and true ones. I try to add one new destination each time, but I sometimes regret wasting the time. But I will never know if I like another place if I don't at least try.
Jan 27th, 2010, 04:28 PM

There's comfort in going to familiar places. You don't have to figure out where to stay, where to eat, where the sights are. But...part of what makes something a vacation and truly different from home and routine is to explore the unknown and have a new adventure.

What places did you love in Portugal and where are you thinking of going next?
Jan 27th, 2010, 04:44 PM
Original Poster

I love the north part of Portugal, expecially the Douro valley and points north toward Spain...been to the Algarve, and don't care enough to go back...just beaches, etc. I love the wine country, even, as you know, I am sort of illerate in that regard. But Port wine is from Porto...isn't it...love the people who are so kind and helpful,. and different..love the food...but, we've been there many times...yet, I yearn to go again...we'll see., I'll post a trip report..you can view my last one by searching on "Portugal for Dummies"...maybe you like.
Jan 27th, 2010, 06:44 PM

Clara. We have only been to Portugal three times for a total of six weeks. I am planning other trips because there are so many places on my wish list. But I could just as easily return there.

We have never been to the Algarve, but every time we plan to return to Portugal we just don't ever care to try to fit it in.

We always spend some time in Lisbon. The next trip we take to Portugal it will probably include some time in Lisbon and also more time in the North. We really haven't spent nearly enough time there. This last trip was a little different because we returned to two places we loved and really only just relaxed and did very little touring. We spent days on the beach, ate good food and relaxed.

Enjoy.
Jan 28th, 2010, 07:59 AM

Did you Portugal fans happen to see this YouTube video? It was posted a couple weeks ago on another thread, I'm sorry I can't remember who found it. It was done during this past Christmas in Lisbon and so cool (in case you haven't seen it!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWjZX57QQDY
Jan 28th, 2010, 09:42 PM

New, new, new....and if I ever run out of new, then I'll return to the tried and true.