Never traveled abroad before — have one week to get from Derry to Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24th, 2015, 05:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm studying abroad this summer and hope to meet up with a friend after my program ends. However, my program ends on July 25th while hers ends on August 1st. Thus, I have approximately one week to get from Derry to Paris. Once in Paris, my friend and I are going to do some traveling in other countries so I would ideally like to get there a day or two before her program ends.

I have never traveled outside of the United States before (with the exception of Canada), so I really have no clue where to start or how I should plan. I was considering going through Dublin to London and from London to Brussels and then Paris. But again, I really don't have a clue.

So:
Length: one week
Budget: Again, I don't really know what's an appropriate amount for a week of travel. Suggestions would be helpful.
Interests: museums, historical sites, castles, food

While I've done some research already, I don't really think I am completely understanding all that is involved (travel time, time allotted to each location, etc.). I get that this may be frustrating for those of you who take the time to help me out, but if you could kindly provide me with some suggestions of where to go/where not to go, I would greatly appreciate it. I will edit the post as I do more research/get some assistance.

Thanks!

This is what I have been thinking: July 25 — Derry to Dublin, July 26 — stay in Dublin, July 27 — Dublin to London, July 28 — stay in London, July 29 — London to Brussels, July 30 — Brussels to Paris, July 31 — stay in Paris, August 1 — meet friend in Paris before heading to Burgundy (possibly)

What are your opinions on this? When is the best time to leave each day to head to the next location? What should I be considering? Thanks again.
Old Mar 24th, 2015, 05:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You could easily spend the entire time in London. I would pick Dublin and London if you don't want to do that. If you want castles London has the Tower of London, and Windsor castle makes a good day trip. It also has more museums than you could possibly see in a week. The biggest and best are free.

I would probably fly from Dublin to London - check skyscanner.net and look at Ryan Air and EasyJet. Or look at http://seat61.com/Ireland.htm#.VRFk5ie9KSM for how to do it by train and boat.

In London the LSE student dorms may be open for vacationers - see http://www.lsevacations.co.uk/Home.a....FZaC9MDh.dpbs

London to Paris is best done on Eurostar, but you need to book early for the cheaper fares. See http://seat61.com/London-to-Paris-by...m#.VRFlsCe9KSM

What time of day to travel depends on prices and what you want to see where. But note that you usually have to check out before noon, although most places will hold your bags. I usually aim to travel in the morning.
Old Mar 24th, 2015, 06:17 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
>>> meet friend in Paris<<<

Is your friend studying in the UK or elsewhere?

>>>July 29 — London to Brussels, July 30 — Brussels to Paris,<<<

Why Brussels? Unless there is something specific you want to see, I would eliminate it. One night somewhere does not give you sightseeing time in that location. You need two nights to get one day because of the travel.

I agree about looking at budget airlines and limiting it to Dublin and London unless you mentioned Dublin for transit purposes only.
Old Mar 24th, 2015, 07:20 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
If it was me -- I'd fly from Belfast to London. stay in London until the 1st and take the Eurostar to Paris - skipping Dublin and Brussels. But that is me.

This couldn't be easier -- cheap flight to London and then city center to city center London to Paris by train.
Old Mar 24th, 2015, 07:56 AM

And if you stay put in London for at least 3 or 4 days, you can take amazing day trips (castles, history, cathedrals, Cambridge or Oxford, Canterbury.... kind of an endless list).

For me, Brussels would be out. I can't speak to Dublin as I've never been there.
Old Mar 24th, 2015, 09:07 AM
Original Poster

Wow, thanks for the help so far, you guys! I guess I'll eliminate Brussels and save "Benelux" for another time. I should probably eliminate Dublin as well.

Now, for London and Paris. If I get to London on the evening of July 25th and stay until the 28th (at which point I would head to Paris until my friend's program concludes on August 1st). What could I realistically plan to see? Free museums? Castles? (Would prefer scenic views and history to shopping and drinking!)

Thanks!
Old Mar 24th, 2015, 09:23 AM

I don't know of any castle in London, I think castles tend not to be in the middle of big cities. You could see Kensington Palace, if you wanted. Of course there is Windsor Castle which belongs to the Royals, but it's outside of London so would involve a day trip and since you have only two days and are not experienced with all this stuff, I'd just stick to London. Hampton Court Palace is lovely and not far out, but involves a boat ride (that is rather long) or taking the train. see http://www.londontoolkit.com/whattodo/royal_palaces.htm

See Big Ben, maybe Buckingham Palace (although not that exciting as a building), Kensington Palace, a few museums (I think many London museums are free), Hyde Park, walk around.

The Timeout guidebooks are good for these places and are online.
Old Mar 24th, 2015, 09:27 AM

So much to see and do in London! At the top of my list would be the Tower of London (not free). Next would be the British Museum (I've spent whole days there!), then some of the art museums. It is wonderful that the majority of the museums in London are free (You will appreciate that when you get to Paris and discover how expensive museums are there!)

Do you have a guide book? Get yourself a good guidebook for London and for Paris and see what strikes your fancy. There is enough in both cities to keep you busy for weeks. If you have good weather, both cities have lovely parks.
Old Mar 24th, 2015, 09:53 AM

"I don't know of any castle in London"

What on earth do you think the Tower of London is?

BTW, my favorite museum in London is the V&A - arts and crafts rather than acres of oil paintings. http://www.vam.ac.uk/

Definitely buy or borrow a guidebook. At least one! (Maybe Lonely Planet or Rough Guide or Time Out.) You might try the Destinations tab at the top of this page, too.
Old Mar 24th, 2015, 10:10 AM

Re: castles in the middle of cities.

See Shrewsbury, Warwick, Nottingham, Durham, Edinburgh - I could go on, and on. What do you think the castles were <i>for</i>? Why the cities developed there?
Old Mar 24th, 2015, 10:14 AM
ESW

Dublin is certainly worth a visit. You can easily spend a day exploring the capital and there are two excellent day trips.

Plan a visit to Newgrange, a world heritage site and one of the best passage tombs in the world, and over 5000 years old. Older than the pyramids.
http://www.worldheritageireland.ie/b...age/newgrange/
Several companies do a tour from Dublin. Examples are
http://newgrangetours.com/
https://loveireland.com/tours/newgra...line-daytours/
http://www.localdublintours.com/the-...ings-tour_3192

Another lovely day out would be to the mystical site of Glendalough and Kilkenny.
http://www.collinsdaytours.com/?gcli...FQMewwodnkMAOg

Alternatively you can catch a bus from Dublin to Glendalough
http://www.glendaloughbus.com/

These are both very different and woud give you a good overal impression of that part of Ireland.

From Dublin head to London and spend the rest of the time either in London or on day visits from it.
Old Mar 24th, 2015, 10:21 AM

thursdaysd beat me to it. The Tower of London is <B>THE</B> castle to see if one only has time for one.

megalodon: If you take a morning flight on the 25th and an early evening train on the 28th you'll have the best part of 4 days to see/do. Long enough for London - no. But good for a first taste. Lots of free - most museums and galleries (British, National, National Portrait, the Tates, V&A, British Library, Imperial War, etc etc). All the parks, walks along the river, Hampstead Heath.

Then a few biggies that do cost - The Tower, Westminster Abbey and/or St Pauls

Now you won't have time for all of the above but it is a good list to get you started . . .
Old Mar 24th, 2015, 10:24 AM

I don't think you have nearly enough time to squeeze in Dublin too. Dublin is nice. London is huge and amazing.

If you want to do the things on ESW's list -- you'd have to omit London.
Old Mar 24th, 2015, 10:51 AM

Would you all spend more time in London or Paris if you had to choose? Not looking for shopping or bars, but rather palaces, cathedrals, castles, natural beauty, medieval towns...
Old Mar 24th, 2015, 10:54 AM

Both London and Paris have all those things you listed and more. Just browse guidebooks and decide which one to emphasize.
Old Mar 24th, 2015, 11:08 AM

This is what I just posted on another thread where someone is trying to decide that very same thing:

>>OK -- Paris is beautiful and lots to see/do. London is HUGE (the largest city in western Europe by far) w/ tons to see/do.

You can see more of Paris in fewer days -- but maybe you want the more time in Paris. That is up to you. They are both amazing - some absolutely LOVE paris, some absolutely LOVE London.

But purely logistics and the number of sites - London takes more time than Paris.<<
Old Mar 24th, 2015, 11:19 AM

I think castles tend not to be in the middle of big cities

??????"

the Tower of London, Edinburgh Castle, Durham Castle, Nottingham Castle, York Castle, Cardiff Castle,....

Google is your friend.
Old Mar 24th, 2015, 01:11 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
what are you going to do once you join up with your friend? will you be spending some time in Paris? in which case I would give longer to London so that your friend can show you Paris, without repeating what you've already done.

if, OTOH, you are going to leave Paris immediately your friend has finished her course, then allow a few days for Paris.
Old Mar 24th, 2015, 02:16 PM

You don't say you are going to stay in Paris with your friend. Go to Paris for the week.
Old Mar 24th, 2015, 02:17 PM

I also can't believe that if you are studying abroad for the summer that you won't go to Londoon on weekends, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -