Neuschwanstein Views

Old Aug 26th, 2000, 08:50 AM
Steve Mueller

Neuschwanstein Views

There are two "classic" downward views of Neuschwanstein, the famous royal castle near Munich. One of these views, which could be described as a broad-side view, is obviously taken from the Marienbrucke. There is another, more dramatic, view that looks straight down the length of the castle and has one or two lakes in the background. This view is obviously very popular among professional travel photographers, and appears on the front or back cover of a fair number of German travel guides. Does anyone know where the vantage point for this view is? Is it along the Tegelberg trai? If so, how far up? Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old Aug 26th, 2000, 09:08 AM
Betsy

Isn't it from a famous bridge? (I'm pretty sure I took an amateur picture like you describe). I can't remember the bridge, but it has a woman's name and there are signs to it all around up there. <BR>Good luck, <BR>Betsy

Old Aug 26th, 2000, 09:30 AM
Steve Mueller

Betsy, <BR> <BR>Thanks for your comments. <BR> <BR>I'm pretty sure that the view from the Marienbrucke (Mary's Bridge) is the broadside view. I've seen pictures of people on the bridge and the broadside view of Neuschwanstein is definitely in the background. Another reason that I think the straight-on view is not from the bridge is from studying pictures of Neuschwanstein from below, where I can see the orientation of the castle with respect to the gorge that the bridge crosses. Of course, there could be another bridge. If there is, I need to know about it.

Old Aug 26th, 2000, 09:56 AM
Ron

The view that you are refering to (I am not 100% sure of this) is after you cross Marienbrucke, you continue along the other side for about a 90 minute hike. It is apparently a bit 'hairy' in spots, but affords a great view. <BR>About 2/3 of the way to Marienbrucke there is a great view of the town below looking in the opposite direction. Have fun!

Old Aug 28th, 2000, 02:19 PM
jill

To the top! <BR> <BR>anyone else have any suggestions on the vantage point? Steve's not the only one that needs to know!

Old Aug 28th, 2000, 06:01 PM
Bob

You get an outstanding view as you are standing at the urinal in the men's room at the castle. True! I got some good shots from the window there. Try that! They won't tell you that one in the travel books!

Old Aug 31st, 2000, 01:59 PM
Steve Mueller

Any more suggestions? <BR> <BR>The view that I'm am asking about is definitely not from a urinal, unless you consider the great outdoors as one big urinal (I know people who do).

Old Aug 31st, 2000, 02:04 PM
Wizzer

I remember the view from the urinal - it was great. As I recall there was a large window at the end of the hall right next to the men's room entrance that people were taking turns snapping pictures. I believe the scene was of the lake and the other castle (hohenswangau or something or other)