Neuschwanstein Itinerary...too much?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25th, 2011, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As we fine-tune our trip more and more, I find I have more questions, and the more I read, the I second guess myself.

We will be arriving in the Fussen area around 1300. We will tour Hohenschwangau castle, then spend the evening just roaming around. From this point, we have 2 choices:

1. Wake up, checkout, go to Marienbrucke (maybe we can do Marienbrucke evening of day 1), to Neuschwanstein, then off to the tabbogon & zugspitze summit,. Or we can rearrange the previous stated order as well.

2. We have another night we can use here, but if we don't have to, I don't want to.

This part of our trip is not a "high point" so we aren't trying to absorb too much of local culture, etc. This is simply to take my daughter to a castle I had been to years ago.

Also, we will have a car for independent travelling.

(This is in June)

Thank you for your expert insight. I always enjoy it!
Old Mar 25th, 2011, 02:49 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Hi,

I don't know what the "highponts" of your trip are, but they must be incredible if Neuschwanstein, the Zugspitze, Tegelberg luge rides, Fuessen and the area aren't even making the list. Sorry, I had to say that.

Since you don't want to spend the extra night, I'd say visit Hohenschwangau and do the tobbogan (called the Sommerrodelbahn in German) your first day. The Sommerrodelbahn is at Tehelberg, just a mile or so from Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau castles.

Next day, get to Neuschwanstein by 8:30am and you should get a very early tour. Take the shuttle bus up to Marienbrucke, walk down to Neuschwanstein, tour the castle, and either walk or take the carriage ride back to the parking lot. Head over to Ehrwald, Austria (less than an hour drive) and take the Zugspitze cable car trip. It's not only cheaper and faster from Ehrwald than from Garmisch, but probably less crowded.

Paul
Old Mar 25th, 2011, 02:58 PM
Original Poster

Paul-

LOL It's ok, but I must say for me, personally, I have been to the area about 4 times. Prior to arriving here, we will be in Switzerland-that is a very "Highpoint" of our trip (Equal between my mother and me). This stop will be followed by Italy-Amalfi area-which is the other "Highpoint". This is really just a stop to share the castle with my daughter.

LOVE the tip on the Zugspitze!!! We will do that for sure!

I did leave out a key point that we have a room in Schlossrestaurant Hotel, which eases the walking portion up to Neuschwanstein. (This is for mom) We have access via the road up to the castle. Now, will that interfere w/the shuttle to Marienbrucke? (I was much younger in past visits & just hiked everywhere-I didn't pay attention to shuttles!)

Thank you for settling our itinerary for us!! Much appreciated!!
Old Mar 25th, 2011, 03:12 PM

Hi again,

This might be handy:

www.zugspitze.at

I have no ideas on driving up to the castle. Never heard of it. We were last there a few years ago. For us, the easiest way was the shuttle to Marienbrucke, walk down to Neuschwanstein (pretty steep but pretty short) and then take the carriage back down to the lot. This way is a minimal amount of walking and the walking you do will be down hill.

By the way, the Sommerrodelbahn is a blast!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9E8ZBl9eNM

Paul

Paul
Old Mar 25th, 2011, 03:14 PM

Just curious, are you driving to Italy from the castles/Fuessen area?
Old Mar 25th, 2011, 03:53 PM
Original Poster

Paul,

Thank you for the links! That looks SO FUN!!!! I can't wait!

Yes, we will be driving to Venice!
Old Mar 25th, 2011, 04:54 PM

Are you planning on driving through the Italian Dolomites to Venice? If so, we've been many times and could possibly be of help.

Paul
Old Mar 25th, 2011, 05:52 PM
Original Poster

Actually, that is something brand new entering our itinerary! My mother would LOVE to drive (well, ride) through the Dolomites. I just googled pictures this week to see what her excitement was about-it didn't take long! It's fabulous. But the hesitation about trying to plan a route became a bit much. Maybe if you have time you could provide tips for that drive? Then I could do a better evaluation! So, ANY information would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thank you!!!!!
Old Mar 25th, 2011, 06:23 PM

Hi

It would be about a 3 plus hour drive from Fuessen into the Dolomites (Val Gardena for instance) via Innsbruck, Austria. I'd plan on a night (or two) in the Dolomites (Val Gardena). From the Dolomites to Venice would be another 4 hours or so drive.

We have some pic's at:

www.worldisround.com/articles/355539/index.html

www.worldisround.com/articles/324504/index.html

www.worldisround.com/articles/351565/index.html

Paul
Old Mar 26th, 2011, 08:09 AM
Original Poster

Paul,

FABULOUS PHOTOS!!! This has swayed our travel and I'm very happy about it!

We will now stay one night in Neuschwanstein, tour part of 2nd day, then drive to Dolomites for one night. I like it breaking up the drive to Venice too! I am going to revisit your posts for hotels, etc. Also, we are not going to do the Luge, however, I have emailed to get info regarding paragliding in the Dolomites!

After looking at maps, what is the best route, in your opinion, that we should travel? I believe the paragliding is offered in multiple locations, but I emailed a company in Val Gardena (based on your above post).

Hotels in/around Val Gardena, do you have any suggetions of where or where not to stay?

Again, Thank you Paul! This is a tremendous help!
Old Mar 26th, 2011, 09:12 AM

Hi,

In the Val Gardena we stayed in the town (village) of St. Christina at the Garni Ariston.

www.garniariston.com

This cable car trip from Ortisei is open from late May, so will be open while you are in the Val Gardena:

www.alpedisiusi-seiseralm.com/index.html

The Val Gardena is laid out like this:
From the A22 highway (coming from Innsbruck) you drive about 15 to 20 minutes and you're in Ortisei. 5 min. later you're in St. Christina and another 5 min. you're in Selva. After Selva starts the Gardena Pass (Grödnerjoch). This is our favorite scenic, up close Dolomite scenery pass (drive) in the area. Amazing! Since all 3 towns/villages of the Val Gardena are so close to one another, any of the 3 makes a good place to stay.

www.val-gardena.com

To get there, I'd take this route:
from Fuessen (and area) to Innsbruck. Once near Innsbruck take the Brenner Pass (not really a pass per say, but a multi lane highway) into Italy in the direction of Bozen/Bolzano. The Italian border is just 20 min. from Innsbruck. The Brenner Pass becomes the A22 highway. Get off the A22 at Klausen/Chiusa/Val Gardena exit. This takes you directly into Ortisei, etc.

To get from Val Gardena to Venice:
From Val Gardena, you'd start off on the Gardena Pass (Grödnerjoch) and then take the Sella Pass (Sellajoch), which branches off the Gardena Pass to Canazei and then on to Pian de Lobbia to Alleghe/Lago di Alleghe and on to Belluno. From Belluno take the A27 to Venice.

The Gardena/Grödnerjoch and Sella/Sellajoch Passes are simply spectacular drives. Both have a small cafe/restaurant at the "top" to take a break and soak in the stunning scenery.

Some info and photo's of the passes:

www.alpineroads.com/dolomites.php

In this area everything (towns, etc.) is posted in 3 languages. German, Italian and Ladin. German is commonly the first language spoken, as this area was a part of Austria until the end of WWI.

Just a note:
To drive on Austrian highways you need a "Vignette", which is a toll sticker for the car windshield. They are avail. at gas stations, convenience stores, etc. They are sold in Germany and Austria. Cost is 7.90 Euro for a sticker good for 10 days. In Italy, There are no stickers to buy, as they have tolls along the roads. The Brenner Pass/Europabrucke toll (just south of Innsbruck) is 8 Euro as I recall.

Hope this helps.

Paul
Old Mar 26th, 2011, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

The lay out of the area seems so close and fantastic! You clearly answered my questions of which town(s) to stay in! Hope by Monday to have a room booked in the Dolomites!

I have copied your route suggestions into the "Trip plan" document, hence, it's a route we will use! It's so nice to seem to be "getting somewhere" with this planning!

Paul-your help is so appreciated! You have just contributed GREATLY to the enjoyment of this once in a lifetime trip! You have also opened the road for me to move onto planning Venice! Thank you so much!!
Old Mar 26th, 2011, 02:41 PM

I am bookmarking this discussion for a trip in the future and I must say that this is why the Fodor Europe forum is so great.
3gentravel has gotten a world of information freely given by a great fodorite..every trip that we have taken has been aided by generous folks giving their advice and expertise
what a treat!!
Old Mar 26th, 2011, 05:11 PM
Original Poster

rosieg- I am new here and I am ADDICTED to this site and ALL the information given, directly & indirectly towards my trip.

Paul has especially helped with this leg of the trip & made planning this portion SO easy!!!
Old Mar 26th, 2011, 05:28 PM

Your welcome!

The Dolomites are very close to Innsbruck yet seem to be overlooked by many travelers. Picturesque alpine villages, friendly people, teriffic food and pastries and of course those towering limestone peaks. The Dolomites are like nothing else you'll see in the Alps.

Paul