Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Neuschwanstein / Fussen area or Rothenburg ob der Tauber?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18th, 2003, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, just wanted to know your opinion in terms of WOW factor: if you only had one day to spend, which would you choose, Fussen/Neuschwanstein area or Rothenburg ob der Tauber area? Which one is the most accommodating in terms of cars/parking, since I'll be driving with a friend. We'll be traveling in early April. Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 18th, 2003, 03:02 PM

In April you probably will have little car parking problems in either, though if you were going in May-Sept. you would have problems in both. I don't think you can beat Neuschwanstein for WOW. It's everyone's idea of the ultimate fairytale castle. Since you're driving, you could stay in Garmisch-Partenkirchen and drive the reasonable distance to the castles rather than stay in Fussen which as a town isn't nearly as cute as GarmPart.
Old Feb 18th, 2003, 03:09 PM

Neuschwanstein/Hohenschwangau. Last June, we stayed at Pension Albrecht in the village of Hohenschwanstein. From our balcony we had a clear view of Neuschwanstein practically overhead. We were able to see the Pension from one of the castle windows during the tour. It is a gorgeous area--after seeing the castles, take a daytrip through the Alps. Good restaurant at Alpen Hotel Meier between Hohenschwangau and Schwangau.
Old Feb 18th, 2003, 03:09 PM

For one day WOW power I have to vote Neuschwanstein. It's Wow no matter the weather, as long as it's not totally fogged over. Romance, history, culture...
Old Feb 18th, 2003, 04:44 PM

A vote for Rothenburg! A whole town to explore rather than an overrun castle!
Old Feb 18th, 2003, 05:03 PM
Art

While at Neuschwanstein, also try to visit Oberammergau and Linderhof. They will add to your WOW factor.<BR>
Old Feb 18th, 2003, 05:20 PM

I agree with Art except do Oberammergau and Linderhof, and if you have time, you can add Neuschwanstein.
Old Feb 18th, 2003, 06:54 PM

Linderhof happens to be my favorite of King Ludwig's castles (I think I saw them all!) but you could easily spend a day in each of Neuschwanstein or Linderhof or Oberammergau. Oberrammergau is a very cute town (the murals painted on many buildings are very unique) - from here I visited the church at Ettal and then to Linderhof. So for castles, this is where I would go. Neuschwanstein is great (not as well furnished as Hohenswangau next door practically). It does look like Disneyland's castle and the view from Mary's Bridge is terrific.<BR>As for Rothenburg, I loved the town. A special part was the Nightwatchman's tour but you would need to spend the night probably. I drove from Fussen up the Romantic Road with the first stop at the Wies Kirche at the foot of the Romantic Road - you have to see this church to believe how gorgeous the interior is (the outside looks like a large block!). Otherwise the Romantic Road isn't that great a drive. Any questions, please feel free to e-mail me at [email protected]
Old Feb 19th, 2003, 03:07 AM

The Wieskirche is worth the stop. We got there around 5 PM, and a service started soon after we arrived. So we got to hear the organ--quite an impressive concert venue.
Old Feb 19th, 2003, 03:39 AM

To me, &quot;WOW&quot; is something that knocks your socks off right away. Neuschwanstein castle is just that--a single structure that makes you go &quot;wow!&quot; (ok, there also is Hohenschwangau castle, which also is great, but most people visit F&uuml;ssen for Neuwschwanstein).<BR><BR>Rothenburg, on the other hand, is a great destination because of the MANY things it has to offer. There's the central town hall and square, the walled city, the gardens, the shopping, eating (my favorite, the urfr&auml;nken dunkles bier). Putting them all together makes Rothenburg a great place.<BR><BR>My recommendation is to visit them both, because they're both must-sees. <BR><BR>But, if you can't, ask yourself if you'd like to see one SUPER thing, or many NICE things that are inegrated well with each other
Old Feb 19th, 2003, 04:53 AM

hey trog<BR><BR>I like riffic's answer! That one 'wow' factor came when I was on a sunny winters road heading to my first look at Neuschwanstein. I mistook the Hohenschwangau Castle as the 'one' and went wow! As I looked further up the hill and saw the &quot;ONE&quot; I went WOW!!!<BR><BR>I have climbed up and around Neuschwanstein's many trails. I have only been inside that castle once! Once was enough. The structure and that setting will always be the WOW factor for me!<BR><BR>Rothenberg is the town that starts or ends all my trips to Bavaria ( Usually use the Frankfurt/Munich airports)<BR>I will never get enough of that town in any season!<BR>JOHN
Old Feb 19th, 2003, 06:52 AM

If I had only one day I would do ROTHENBURG.<BR><BR>We have been to Neuschwanstein about 4 times with different friends and Rothenburg many times since 1970. Overall there is more to see and do in Rothenburg than there is at Neuschwanstein. But having said that, either one you choose will be fine as both are great destinations.
Old Feb 19th, 2003, 09:19 AM

I'll go along with the Rothenburg vote. I didn't realize that the city overlooked a valley. . . what a view!
Old Feb 19th, 2003, 10:50 AM

Trog - it all depends on what blows YOUR socks off. If you like quaint, charming, medieval cities, then Rothenburg, but if your like me who appreciates absolutely stunning scenic vistas then Neuschwanstein is for you.
Old Feb 25th, 2003, 01:21 AM

Agree with Neuschwanstein comments but not the one that rates Garmisch above F&uuml;ssen, and for one day primarily at the castles, why bother with the trip. I think F&uuml;ssen is a very nice town, often ignored by foreign tourists as they day trip from Munich. Check out PArk Hotel in Bad Faulenbach (next door suburb to F&uuml;ssen) or Hotel Alpenblick on Hopfen Am See - fantastic views from the balconies.