Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Neuschwanstein from Salzburg without a car?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 07:35 PM
Bridget

Is there a train, bus, or organized day trip to the castle from Salzburg? How far and is it worth it? Can Munich be included in same day at all?

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 07:53 PM
Joe

Bridget,<BR><BR>I doubt that there is an organized day trip from Salzburg. With a very early start, you could probably do it by train. Another more relaxing alternative might be to visit Ludwig's Herrenchiemsee Palace at Prien am Chiemsee. The train from Salzburg takes less than an hour. The walk from the Prien train station to catch the boat to Herrreninsel takes twenty minutes or so. There is also a steam train from the train station to the boat landing.

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 08:22 PM
travelman

Bridget,<BR> Its much easyer to do it from Innsbruck,it involves a train and bus.<BR>It can be done in one day but,it a <BR> marvel of planning.Tip,get your castle<BR> tix from their web site.Good luck.<BR><BR> Travelman

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 08:58 PM
John G

When I visited Neuschwanstein, I took the train from Salzburg (I think it was the Zurichsee Express) to Innsbruck, then another train to Garmische, where I stayed for 4 days. It was here that I took a day tour to Neuschwanstein. Like the person above, I think it would take too long for you to go all the way to Innsbruck, then to the castle, and back to Salzburg in one day. You would be better off if you stayed a day or two in Innsbruck, Garmische, or Mittenwald, then went to the castle. It is definitely worth a tour, being one of the tawdriest things I have ever seen in my life. You can definitely see that Ludwig was crazy.

Old Mar 10th, 2002, 05:51 AM
carfree

tp