Reload this Page >

4 days not in Zurich

Search

4 days not in Zurich

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 06:06 PM
Swan

4 days not in Zurich

We will be in Zurich on business for about a week mid June and will be able to spend an additional 3-4 nights in Switzerland. I'd like to pick one place we can get to easily from Zurich by train. Our return flight will leave from Zurich. Culture, scenery, lakes are a priority. Perhaps a taste of Italian/Swiss culture? We are not into heavy hiking, and would love to do short day trips from our "base". What would be your top choices? <BR>We will also have time to do one or two short day trips from Zurich. Suggestions please.

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 06:09 PM
x

Lucerne or Bern.

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 06:17 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Luzern is the logical choice--and you are only 1:20 from the Zurich airport by train. Hard to beat--have fun.

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 10:04 AM
ingo

For short trips from Zurich I recommend Einsiedeln with its famous Baroque convent, Winterthur with famous picture galleries and science center, Schaffhausen and Stein am Rhein if you are interested in towns with beautifully decorated houses.<BR><BR>Lucerne is probably the best choice. It is the only place which is close to Zurich Airport and has culture, lakes, scenery. Italian/Swiss culture (Ticino) is probably too far away. Lugano would be the recommended place in Ticino. You should check the train connections at www.sbb.ch from Lugano to Zurich Airport.<BR><BR>Ingo

Old Mar 10th, 2002, 05:52 AM
jw

Hi, Lugano is the easiest train destination for a taste of Italian/Swiss. I didn't mind the trip to Zurich, but you'd have to return to the Zurich area the night before your flight. If you can work it out, it really would be a delightful contrast to your time in Zurich. Twice I've stayed in Ticino (Maggiore rather than Lugano) and returned to Bulach (just north of Zurich's airport) the afternoon before catching my morning flight. J.