Reload this Page >

Neuschwanstein Castle?

Search

Neuschwanstein Castle?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 2002, 11:24 AM
Gina

Neuschwanstein Castle?

Can anyone tell me the actual drive time from Garmish to Neuschwanstein Castle? We will be there in late July and I am trying to reserve advance tickets. Thanks in advance.

Old Jun 8th, 2002, 11:42 AM
Angela

Gina,<BR><BR>I am also hoping to go early July and have looked into this. The journey time from Garmische to Neuschwanstein is about 1 hour and the distance approx 40 miles. Although this is based on one driving quite fast, they do in Germany. Hope this helps.

Old Jun 8th, 2002, 11:45 AM
Gina

Just what I needed. Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Old Jun 8th, 2002, 02:59 PM
Tracy

We are driving from Garmisch to Neuschwanstein also. How do you get advance tickets? Thanks!

Old Jun 8th, 2002, 10:18 PM
Angela

Gina,<BR>Your welcome.<BR><BR>Tracy, <BR>there is a web site where you can buy advance tickets for the castle (plus others places) - copy and paste this -:<BR>http://212.227.122.74/index.php?id=543<BR><BR>Angela

Old Jun 8th, 2002, 10:21 PM
Dee

We are going to be in Garmisch-Partenkirchen in a few days. I faxed and reserved tickets for the Hohenschwangau and Neuschwanstein castles with no problems. I now have confirmed tickets with a reserved time--no waiting in line. <BR><BR>Here's the web site for info: www.ticket-center-hohenschwangau.de<BR><BR>

Old Jun 8th, 2002, 10:32 PM
MGM

You've probably read it before on this forum, but the best thing you can do to enjoy the castle is to be there before the tour buses take over....if you're there early there won't be much of a line for tickets (shoot for 8:30am. Hohenschwangau Castle

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 02:57 AM
Georgine

Gina,<BR><BR>With summer traffic, I would allow myself at least one and one-half hours for the drive--plus time for all the extra things you need to do upon arrival at the parking lot.<BR><BR> Traffic is heavy in Garmisch, you will be using a two-lane road (no autoroute) to Neuschwanstein, and (depending on the time of day), there maybe traffic back-up to get to the car parking lots at the base of the mountain. Once you park, you still need to walk about a block or so uphill to the ticket center to pick up your reservations. Then you still need to get up the mountain to the castle (by bus, foot or carriage ride)in enough time to arrive before your tour departs.<BR><BR>If you get there a little early, there are plenty of souvenir shops and cafes to enteratain you for a short while, or you can hike up to the Marienbrucke for your "photo ops" before your tour time.<BR>

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 08:20 AM
Bob

There are 2 ways to drive from Garmisch to Neuschwanstein. Route 1 is the way through Austria and Reutte. Route 2 is the northern route through Ettal and through Wies and down. <BR><BR>A good drive is to do the trip as a circle. Go to the castle on the Austria route through Reutte and return by going north and visiting the famous Wies church and then through Ettal and the Abby. Great way to finish the day.<BR><BR>Be prepared to walk when you visit these castles. There is only one way to get to Hohenschwangau and that is to walk up a hill. The horse carriages will help for Neuschwanstein but you still need some walking to get to the entrance.

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 08:27 AM
Patrick

I know mainly people recommend going early to avoid the crowds, but I have friends who said they got there "way early" and it seemed worse than when they left. They felt everybody else has the same idea these days. What about late in the day? Might it be even less crowded then? How late is it open?

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 02:31 PM

Does anyone have any experience with going later in the day? After all, if you have tickets for a specific time, why should it matter if your time is early or late? Thanks for helping me to understand.

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 02:44 PM
Mike

I'm presently planning to arrive at Neuschwanstein Castle on a Sunday, early afternoon. Should I expect long lines or a normal 1-2 hour tour?

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 07:48 PM

Anyone?

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 05:29 AM
John

Hi all:<BR><BR>When you visit the Castle try and go to the "Marianbrucke Bridge"! That was my favorite view of the Castle!<BR>JOHN

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 05:50 AM
Larry

Their web site says "no parking between 8:00 pm and 8:00 am". Those here talking about getting there early: were you able to park before 8:00 am?<BR>Anyone?

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 06:50 AM
Daniel

Why bother with seeing the interior? I have, but if it was so memorable, i would probably have remembered it.<BR>What I do remember, are the views. From the little foot bridge Marienbr&uuml;cke spanning the water fall behind the castle, from the village at the foot of the castle, from the cable car to Tegelberg. The only of the three castles made by Ludwig II which has a more memorable interior than exterior is Herrenchiemsee, on an island in Chiemsee (train to Prien between Munich and Salzburg).

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 06:57 AM
Alison

Does anyone know the drive time from Munich to Neuschwanstein Castle? Our tickets are for 12:45 p.m. Thanks

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 08:57 AM
Myriam

We have been at the castles on June 1st and have not been able to visit them inside. We were there before 3 pm and by lack of tourists the next tour was only at 5 pm! Didn't want to wait that long since we also wanted to visit Linderhof in Ettal.<BR>

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 04:12 AM
j

seems like you have to buy the ticket in advance in order to have a chance (i'm a poet) to see the castle without a long line-up. Where do you buy these from? Should I buy it in Paris 5 days before i get to the castle or is that not enough in advance. I plan on getting there about sept 21st

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 07:01 AM
Lily

Neuschwanstein & Schwangau are worth the visit, but I agree to get there early. We were there on a slow day and had to walk to the top as there was a problem with the horse carts. It took 15 minutes to get to the lower castle and 45 minutes to hike to Neuschwanstein. There is no parking before 8 am. The town Fussen is very close by and worth a visit by the way. Lot's of nice cafes there and some nice churches to explore as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -