Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Neuschwanstein by train from Oberammergau?

Aug 14th, 1999, 10:42 PM
Lisa

Hi while Euraling from Rothenburg to Innsbruck in Sept.(on the way to Verona)I have noticed it's not far to "Train" to Oberammergau. It can be done in 1/2 day trip. I then also notice that Neuschwanstein is not too far from there. Can I get there by train, and can this all be done in a day trip? (I'm only in Innsbruck for 1 1/2 days. Also names of any inexpensive accommodation for my husband and I would be great too.
thanks
Lisa

Aug 14th, 1999, 11:58 PM
Bill Fleites

Hi Lisa, I was in Munich this past June, and got to Oberammergau and Neuschwanstein by using a bus tour as a last resort. The best way to get to the castle is by driving, as it is not convinient to use the train to get there. I recommend that you ask at your hotel and the train station about bus tours to the castles it will be worth it.

Aug 15th, 1999, 08:10 AM
sherri

Hi Lisa:

There is regular and frequent bus service from Oberammergau to Neuschwanstein. The bus is covered under your Eurailpass. You can ask at the train station or Tourist Office at Oberammergau and they can point you to the bus stop (I think it is at the train station).

We stayed two nights in Reutte, Austria very close to Neuschwanstein (just across the border)in May 1997. We did have a car so it was much easier. The name of the guesthouse is Gutshof zum Schluxen. They have a great website. You can access it from Rick Steves' webpage http://www.ricksteves.com
It was one of the best places we have stayed in Bavaria. It was not expensive.

Email me if you need more info.

Sherri

Aug 15th, 1999, 04:37 PM
Art

Hi Lisa; I lived in Germany several years and used to take a picnic on Sundays and go Castle hopping. Fortunatly Neuschwanstein was on of the last we visited because after that one the others seem plain. It will be a wonderful experiance for you. Have a great time.

Aug 15th, 1999, 06:53 PM
lisa

thanks for your help,
but I still need to know is a trip to Oberammergau and Neuschwanstein (from and back to Innsbruck) able to be done in One day? Our trains to major cities & countries have been pre-booked, so we have to return back to Innsbruck in the evening. It's Innsbruck I need accommodation info. thanks
Lisa

Aug 16th, 1999, 11:24 AM
Lee

Lisa: I've read the responses to your post and see you still have questions.

Innsbruck is about 60 Km south of Garmisch-Partenkirchen. Garmisch is but a "stones-throw" to nearby Ettal, Castle Linderhof (one of Ludwig II's) and Oberammergau. Oberammergau is relatively close to Schwangau and Neuschwanstein castle. If you can get good connections, it may certainly be done in one day.

Why not rent a car in Innsbruck for the day (might be cheaper in Garmisch, I believe)? Just drive through the area, head over to Neuschwanstein in the morning, come back to Linderhof in the afternoon, stop in Garmisch to watch the cows parade right down "Main Street" in the late afternoon and have dinner right in town, arriving in Innsbruck by 9:00pm. Not a bad trip.

With the exception of Innsbruck, we made this trip (essentially) in May.

Good luck!

Aug 17th, 1999, 12:03 AM
Lisa

thanks for the advice Lee. I just have to convince my husband to get an international licence. He's a bit hesitant, as we Aussies drive on the other side of the road.
Lisa

Aug 17th, 1999, 05:20 AM
Lee

Lisa: You are welcome.

The drive itself is very little autobahn and mainly small roads to take. It's an easy drive, really and he will become used to it in no time. It would be the best way to go, I would think.

Good luck and have a good trip!