BORDERS OF SCOTLAND

Aug 12th, 1999, 01:11 AM
Adam

BORDERS OF SCOTLAND

Why does nobody ever mention the Borders in their postings? My home region is surely one of the most beautiful and unspoilt parts of Europe! It's always Edinburgh, Highlands, Culloden etc etc! Scotland doesn't begin north of the Lammermuirs!

Aug 12th, 1999, 01:43 AM
Sheila

Good point. I have said in some of my postngs that I just don't know the area at all well. I find it hard, therefore to recommend anywhere.

I have sent people to Traquhair, Mellarstain, Abbotsford, Floors, Eyemouth, but generally only if they've asked.

And Dumfries and Galloway, isn't even on my mental map. Sorry!

Aug 12th, 1999, 02:14 AM
Adam

You should definitely pay a visit Sheila! Melrose Abbey where Robert the Bruce's heart is buried is beautiful as is the town with lots of great walks along the Tweed. Kelso (where I went to school!) is very elegant and has the biggest market square in Scotland and historic abbey ruins. My own favourite location is Dryburgh Abbey by the Tweed containing the graves of Sir Walter Scott and the Haig family. When I was a kid I could see the Abbey across the Tweed from my bedroom window. Whenever I go back to the Borders it's like a whole personal rejuvenation. Ah - days gone by!

Aug 12th, 1999, 04:14 AM
Sheila

Yeah, but there aren't any decent hills!

Where are you now, Adam?

Aug 12th, 1999, 04:24 AM
Adam

Hi again Sheila! In Brussels where there are even less hills. There may be no mountains but there are plenty of smaller ranges - the Cheviots are quite spectacular as are the Lammermuirs. We also have the Eildons right in the middle which give gorgeous views over the whole area. More to life than mountains!

Where are you?

Aug 12th, 1999, 05:20 AM
Maira

Hey Adam when you say the borders, what area are you referring to? We toured the spread of Hadrian's Wall on our way back from Edinburgh. Does that count? (forgive my ignorance!).

Aug 12th, 1999, 05:48 AM
Sheila

Good Try Maira, but no cigar.

The area of southeast Scotland just north of the border with england has the Administrative name of the Scottish Borders ( it used to be Borders Region). The expression "the borders" would cover both sides of the line all the way across. But Hadrian's wall would be too far south anyway. Hope you liked it tho'

Adam's quite right, it is a bit of the country one tends to go through to get to somewhere else. I have had one full week's holiday there in m life, so I'm not totally ignorant of the patch, but, for example, my erstwhile best friend, my bridesmaid, lived there for 8 years, and I never visited.

It's got worse since the M&4 became the route of choice for those going south into England- because the A1 is such a terrible road to drive on.

And Adam, your hills are very pretty, but they're really just pimples in the big scheme of things. Grow a Munro or two...that would make a difference

Aug 12th, 1999, 05:59 AM
Adam

Maira - Hadrian's Wall doesn't count because it's in England which is not really a very interesting country. For me, the Borders is the south eastern part of Scotland from Berwick (which the English stole from us) to around Peebles. I'm from slap-bang in the middle. Next time you're in that neck of the woods, have a look around - you won't be disappointed!

Aug 12th, 1999, 06:04 AM
Adam

Sheila - you haven't told me where you are yet! I would not describe our hills as "pimples" - it's just that we tend not to do things to excess in the Borders. Keep a sense of proportion I say - leave mountains to the Nepalese where they belong!

Aug 12th, 1999, 07:35 AM
Tristi Gucciano

Kelso is goregous...absolutely gorgeous...some of us have been to the borders..we just dont talk about it cause' we figure that no one else has! sorry Adam

Aug 12th, 1999, 11:41 PM
Adam

Thanks Tristi! Spread the word - but not to too many people! Half the joy of the place is the huge amount of space and few number of people!

Aug 14th, 1999, 07:01 AM
Erika

Adam - thanks for your info - share with us some good places to stay - B&Bs etc. Plus, any good antique hunting??

Aug 14th, 1999, 10:10 AM
tom

Adam,

I'll make you feel a little better. My wife and I drove from York to Edinburgh and drove right up the center of England through the Queen's forest and stopped at the big rock that said Scotland.

Took our picture at that rock and then were absolutely amazed at the beauty of the borders as it was laid out in front of us. I believe that we actually saw Bass Rock from that view.

Then we drove into the borders visited the various Abbeys, the Traquiar House, and the ale is magnificent. Beautiful area, and friendly people and very pastoral.

You should be proud of living in the borders, and by the way where do all thos ehseep come from?

Aug 16th, 1999, 09:39 AM
Hans

Ahh...the Borders. The highlight of our June UK trip. We loved the countryside and the absolutely wonderful, welcoming people. Our next trip back will very definitely include more time in Kelso, Jedburgh, and Melrose.

Aug 16th, 1999, 09:39 AM
Hans

Ahh...the Borders. The highlight of our June UK trip. We loved the countryside and the absolutely wonderful, welcoming people. Our next trip back will very definitely include more time in Kelso, Jedburgh, and Melrose.

Aug 17th, 1999, 06:22 AM
Adam

Great to read your comments! They all made me feel good because I'm very proud of my home region.

Erika: Don't know much about individual B&Bs but I would advise you to stay somewhere central like Melrose or StBoswells. All the places worth seeing are within about 30 minutes drive along beautiful, uncluttered country roads. B&Bs are plentiful and I'm sure that info can be obtained from the Borders Tourist office. Plenty of antique shops in all the towns.

Tom: the rock (called locally Carter Bar)is an essential stop for me when I'm going home - just to take in the view revitalises me immediately after my long drive from Belgium. Try Scott's View, between StBoswells and Earlston next time. Almost as dramatic as Carter Bar.

Hans: Hope you have a good trip next time! Don't forget to visit Abbotsford.