Neuschwanstein area - where to stay?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 05:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking for suggestions. I read somewhere (but can't find it again!) about a small hotel near the two castles with balcony views of them and have also seen B&Bs mentioned. In addition I have read that Fussen is nice, and alternately that it is overrun with tourists and not the place to stop. Help! There are 5 of us (parents and teenagers) and we will have a car.
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 06:04 AM

We stayed at the Hotel Rübezahl. Very nice place, reasonably priced, and a great breakfast - one of the best we've had at a B&B.

http://www.neuschwanstein-hotel.com/
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 06:38 AM

We stayed here last September:

Landhotel Guglhupf
Füssener Str. 107
Schwangau (Bayern)
+49 (0) 8362 93 96 30

Had very nice balcony with view of castles. Extremely clean and well furnished. The owner as well as the grown children operate and are extremely friendly.

Highly recommend!
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 06:43 AM

Second the Schwangau response. We stayed in a gorgeous B&B with stupendous views of the castle. Darling little village. I'll do some digging to see if I can find the name of it. Cannot recall it off the top of my noggin!
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 06:46 AM

We stayed at the Hotel Müller (www.hotel-mueller.de), which was very conveniently located across the street from the bus/path to Neuschwanstein. This was several years ago but it seems to still be okay according to the reviews on www.tripadvisor.com. Our room didn't have a view of Neuschwanstein, but there was a nice one from the hotel restaurant. So I assume some of the rooms shared this view. Don't know about balconies.

We drove in one evening, spent the night, left our car there in the morning while we toured Neuschwanstein, then drove north to Wieskirche and the Romantic Road. Could have spent more time and toured Hohenschwangau. We did walk over to the lake, which was pleasant.
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 07:28 AM
ira

Hi B,

We enjoyed our stay at www.hotel-hechten.com in Fuessen.

Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 07:34 AM

We stayed at the Hotel Alpenstuben and really enjoyed it.

http://www.alpenstuben.de/

We had a view of Neuschwanstein from our balcony, as you can see in the photos below. They also had a nice restaurant. The only thing I didn't like about our room was that it was very bright in there at night because of the street lights - no drapes to cover the windows!

A few pics: http://tinyurl.com/39j75m

Our stay included a nice breakfast and parking. I would definitely stay there again!

Enjoy your trip!
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 07:57 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Hi,
We also stayed at, and recommend, the Hotel Zum Hechten in Fuessen. We stayed both times in Oct. and found Fuessen to be the opposite of "overrun with tourists".

Paul
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 08:25 AM
Original Poster

Lots of things to check out - thanks so much. We will be there in late June - does anyone if Fussen in "overrun" with tourists then? I only read that in one place, so it might have been one person having a bad experience.
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 08:39 AM

We stayed across the border in Ehenbichl, Austria (about 30 minutes by car from Neuschwanstein). We stayed in a small pension right under the hilltop ruins of Ehrenburg Castle. Our room (Pension Garni Waldrast) had a balcony with a view of Ehrenburg Castle. We enjoyed being away from the tourist crowds, but still very close to the Castles. Incidentally, Linderhof (another Ludwig castle and more beautiful than Neuschwanstein in my opinion) is also 30 minutes from Ehenbichl. Having previously stayed in Fussen, I would definitely opt for Ehenbichl again over Fussen in the high season.
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 09:57 AM

We enjoyed the kurcafe hotel in Fussen very much. Nice little town and close to the castle.

http://www.kurcafe.com/

Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 01:48 PM

I usually stayed in a lower rent district, but the views from the Villa Jägerhaus are often recommended.

http://www.hohenschwangau.de/jaegerhaus.0.html

Regards, Gary
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 03:31 PM

We too stayed at the Rubezahlfor 10 nights thru the Christmas holidays quite a few years back, but would definitely recommend it. Very nice!
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 05:01 PM

bellhouse--We've stayed here twice and it does have balconies and view of Neuschwanstein. Check it out at:
www.hohenschwangau.de/schwangauerhof.0.html

Last time here in June 2003. Room for 3 was 83.10 E per night and included a good breakfast. We were in room 29 and have a nice view. Good luck.

Judy
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 05:06 PM

We enjoyed the Pension Schwansee. Some of the rooms have fabulous views of the castles. It is located along the road leading to the castles - about 1 mile before you reach them. It has a very good and reasonable indoor-outdoor restaurant with a castle view outside. Being a pension, it is a simple budget place, but quite nice. See TA reviews.
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 05:07 PM

bellhouse--should mention name of hotel is Hotel Schwangauer Hof. Great place to have long walk abouts too. If you hit the British flag on the link, English will magically appear.

Judy
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 08:07 PM

We stayed at Appartement Hotel Seespitz which is about 5km out of the town of Fuessen itself. Like you we had a car so this was not a a problem. There is also an underground garage for guests - no charge.

We had a two bedroom apartment which easily accommodated us and our three teeenage kids. We were very happy with it. It was great to have the extra space and convenience of a separate sitting room and kitchenette as well as the two bedrooms. There is also access to a full laundry. The kids really enjoyed the indoor swimming pool and the view over the lake from our balcony was absolutely magnificent. Watching the sunrise over the frozen lake and snow covered mountains was one of the highlights of our entire RTW trip. If your trip is during the summer months you would have access to all the water activities on the lake as well.

From more recent reports on tripadvisor, they mention the road side can be quite busy/noisy during high season so, if you are interested, do make sure you get a room on the lakeside. When we stayed (the week before Christmas) there were probably only 2-3 rooms occupied so this obviously wasn't a problem. The price was excellent for the off-season but have no idea what it is like during the high season.
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 08:16 PM

Just got home from Germany. This time I took my daughter...stayed at Hotel Mueller for the second time. You can't beat the location and they will get you your tickets to the castles. The staff is exceptional as is the food in the dining room! Have fun.
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 12:26 AM

Another rave review for the Hotel Mueller. We stayed there in December 2005. Wonderful staff (as mentioned, they take care of getting your tickets at no extra charge), great restaurant, and nice room. We had a balcony with a view of Schloss Hohenschwangau.
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 01:28 AM

The most beautiful and romantic hotel right in Hohenschwangau is the Villa Jägerhof (which is an annex to Hotel Lisl). It has the ideal location with views both of Neuschanstein Castle and Hohenschwangau Castle.(Enlarge the aerial view picture on their website.)

Expect a stylish mansion with historic decoration and furniture. Very atmospheric! Breakfast will be served in nearby Hotel Lisl.

http://www.hohenschwangau.de/jaegerhaus0.0.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -