Search

Neuschwanstein

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18th, 2004, 01:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Neuschwanstein

Hi it's me again! Get 2 quick questions to ask:

1) From Munich to Neuschwanstein, I know I have to go to Fussen first (by Bahn, right?), then take the bus 9713 to Hohenschwangau. Then I can go up the the castle by either bus or horse-drawn carriage or my foot!

1) How long will it be taken from Munich to Hohenschwangau? The train will take 2 hours, but I get no idea about the bus from Fussen station to Hohenschwangau.

2) The web says it takes 30 mins to go to the castle by walking. Is it harsh? And is it a good idea for a single female traveller to do so at 10am winter morning?

3) Should I reserve my entrance ticket online to Neuschwanstein castle beore I go (with an extra fee)? Or it should still be okay to buy the ticket after I arrive Hohenschwangau?
Old Dec 18th, 2004, 01:42 AM

The pathway up to the castle is rather wide (certainly large enough for both walkers and those horse-drawn wagons to negotiate simultaneously) so it isn;t like a pathway thorugh the woods. You might want to opt for the wagon (extra charge). Otherwise it is a nice, stimulating trek and very definitely UPHILL <G>.

In terms of reserving a space in advance...are you interested in any guided tour or one in English? Last time I visited we waited until enough English speakers showed up for an English-speaking guide to be assigned to our particular "group."
Old Dec 18th, 2004, 01:54 AM

Hi
When I was there last,there were for some strange reason no English speakers so I took the Cz language tour. I had a colleague with me who painstakingly translated everything.
So I would suggest trying your best to get on an English tour and even waiting for more to join the group as intrepid says.The walk up is very steep, there are some tacky shops which you may or may not like to stop at, I would suggest on the downwards trip may be better, but there is a ride up if you want it.
We didn't book it was not busy at all but I don't know if that's because we were there early.
It's a beautiful place and well worth the effort to see it, even if you do walk up the looooong hill
Have fun

Muck
Old Dec 18th, 2004, 02:04 AM

As a follow-on you may want to consider visiting the Linderhof while you are in the area. The interior of the latter is much more interesting IMO than the interior of Neuschwanstein.

Since you will also be in Munich and if you are interested in all things Ludwig then the Residenze in Munich would probably be of interest. The place includes the large hand-carved Ludwig carriage collection which is probably worth the price of admission alone for some folks.

The largest Ludwig "creation" of all is the palace at Herrenchiemsee which can be reached by train and short boat ride (south of Munich). It is not as popular with American tourists but the interior is really like a mini-Versailles (which was Ludwig's intention) and THE most spectacular of ALL the interiors, bar none.
Old Dec 18th, 2004, 03:57 AM

I was there in the summer and it was fairly crowded but we went early and were able to get tickets so I think in winter it would be no problem. I think the walk to the castle (from the town, where the ticket office is) was probably 20 minutes but we walk fast so 30 would be average. The best views of the castle are from above it - so another 10 minute walk past the castle ( and then of course back down to it).

We took the English tour and none of my family, or anyone around us, could understand a word of what the guide was saying. Now that was just one guide, but I wished I had taken the German speaking guide and been given the English translation to read. I'm not sure they do that since they have several English tours each day, but I know lots of places have written English translations they hand out if you can't get a tour in your own language. I think in this case that would have been preferable. And that would mean you'd have more freedom to take whichever tour was convenient and not wait for one in English. I also think that Neuschwanstein is much more impressive outside than inside. I bet it will be breathtaking in winter. Have a good time.
Old Dec 18th, 2004, 05:17 AM

Intrepid, I think your post is a little misleading, but I know what you meant.
While Herrenchiemsee is a sort of "mini" Versailles and is the largest of the Ludwig castles, it was never finished and so there are only a small handful of rooms that were ever completed -- but those are exquisite.
As an interior designer and "student" of architecture, however, I was fascinated with seeing rooms that were outer shells only -- particularly the second grand staircase which never received its first piece of marble overlay.

And isabel, I guess you can always get a "bad" tour guide, or one that isn't understandable. (We were on a tour in Istanbul's Topkapi Palace for probably 15 minutes BEFORE discovering it was in English -- we couldn't tell). But our guide at Neuschwanstein spoke perfect English and was very good and entertaining.
Old Dec 18th, 2004, 05:42 AM

1) How long will it be taken from Munich to Hohenschwangau? The train will take 2 hours, but I get no idea about the bus from Fussen station to Hohenschwangau. <font color="blue">It's a 10 minute ride (after waiting for a bus for a few minutes).</font>

2) The web says it takes 30 mins to go to the castle by walking. Is it harsh? And is it a good idea for a single female traveller to do so at 10am winter morning? <font color="blue">The trip from the station is in three stages: first, the bus to the village (see above), then by foot, bus, or carriage up the mountain (probably a 300' rise), then another half mile to the castle, which can only be walked. First you walk down a steep road 100' into a little valley, then back up to the castle entrance. It's not totally exhausting, more like 20 minutes or so of strenuous walking. If it's icy, it could be difficult without crampons.</font>

3) Should I reserve my entrance ticket online to Neuschwanstein castle beore I go (with an extra fee)? Or it should still be okay to buy the ticket after I arrive Hohenschwangau? <font color="blue">In winter, buying your ticket in the village is probably okay - but in summer, the ticket line can be a half hour long.</font>
Old Dec 18th, 2004, 06:58 AM

The ticket office opens very early in the morning. Getting there early means no line. You might want to check for opening time for the winter.

You can purchase a combination ticket for both Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau.

At the ticket office, you can also purchase descriptive booklets about both castles. These booklets will give you more information than you will ever need.
Old Dec 18th, 2004, 10:33 AM

I was there in the late summer. Under dry conditions, the hill was not bad. I was 69 at the time and went up it fine.

If it is snowy or icy, the nature of the walk up changes drastically.

Old Dec 18th, 2004, 11:53 AM

We have done this castle a few times: 1970, 1993, 1997, and last time in 2001.We have seen the changes in how the tickets are handled and the shops
built. They are not tacky and the restaurants are nice. Summer here is beautiful, but winter also nice.

Take the horse drawn carriages to go up. Good for a laugh. They are fun to experience and the hill is steep. The walk down is not bad.

Go for a view from the bridge, if open.

The other castle on site is Hohenschwangau. It is well worth touring and more &quot;homey&quot; than Neuschanstein. You will enjoy this tour.

If you have a car, also do Linderhof. Smaller, with beautiful grounds in the summer.

The Bavarians laugh that Ludwig almost broke the state building these places and now he makes them millions as tourist attractions.
Old Dec 18th, 2004, 12:36 PM
cd

We loved the view of the Castle from the Queen's bridge! I recommend it!
Old Dec 18th, 2004, 10:28 PM

This is all very do-able and easy. It sounds like you have made it more complicated than it has to be. We were staying outside of Munchen, took the train to Fussen and then a bus. It works out well that way as many tourists take the same transport so a reliable mode of getting out to Neuschwanstein. I recall the bus ride from Fussen to Hohenschwangau being ~10-15 mins. The bus stop was at the base of the castle and we exited and just followed the people up and around the hillside to the entrance. It was not harsh. However, it was cold and packed with snow which made it interesting. I went with my sister a couple years back and we are both in our 30s.

I would not buy a ticket online, there shouldn't be any trouble buying a ticket at the entrance. We went in December and it was freezing cold, yet very beautiful. I think next time, if I were to go again, I would opt for the Springtime.
Old Dec 19th, 2004, 01:06 PM

I should have thought it was obvious that Chicachina is not a native English speaker, although her English is very, very good.

She may very well have a choice of language tour, and be able to go with the guide who is the most intelligible.

My guess is that she is Singapore Chinese, given the meaning of her netname in Spanish. Anyone else?

Harzer
Old Dec 19th, 2004, 05:15 PM

A couple of you mention visiting Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau. If we take the train to see Neuschwanstein, would we be able to visit Hohenschwangau in the same day? How do we travel between the two? Thanks all for your advice!
Old Dec 19th, 2004, 06:53 PM

Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau are within sight of each other, so visiting both in one day is quite simple and you can walk from one to the other. Others have mentioned Linderhof, which is indeed a great place to visit, but the OP was inquiring about winter, and unless things have changed in the last couple of years, Linderhof is not open in the winter.
Old Dec 19th, 2004, 06:55 PM

At the ticket booth at the bottom of the hill, you can buy tickets to both Hohenschwangau and Neuschwanstein. In fact they will schedule your two tours so that you waste the least time between them.
Old Dec 20th, 2004, 05:53 AM

Thank you FlyFish and Patrick for the info. Sorry to be so ignorant about their close proximity - we just found out Friday that we're leaving for Munich the first of February so I'm trying to do some speed planning! I'm absorbing everything online before I hit the bookstore.

Thanks again!
Old Dec 20th, 2004, 05:53 AM

Linderhof is open during the winter. I have posted the open times below. For the OP the problem wouldn't be open times so much as she is talking about using public transportation which would be difficult if not near impossible to do on the same winter day as Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau.

-------------
April-September: 9 am-6 pm
October-March: 10 am-4 pm
Open daily

Closed on:
1.1., Shrove Tuesday, 24.12., 25.12., 31.12.

Old Dec 20th, 2004, 07:33 AM
Original Poster

- Thanks people! I guess I may try to take the challenge of walking up. Though I bet it'll be freezing in early Jan, it sounds to be an extraordinary experience to walk uphill, then see the fairy-tale castle gradually emerging from the snowy world, haha.

- Schloss Hohenschwangau... we call it as &quot;old swan castle&quot; in our language (versus Neuschwanstein as the &quot;new swan castle&quot. Mislead by the crap translation, I thought it's just an ordinary castle and didn't pay attention at all. But now maybe I will change my mind to check this out.

- About the language tour, English would be the one and only one I can understand. But I don't wanna waste too much time and sunlight waiting for eng tour. And Isabel's experience really made me scared. Maybe I will just join the earliest tour regardless it's in german or even CZ, and get an english translation.

- Re: Harzer, u got a brilliant guess. English is not my mother tongue at all. But I am not a singporean neither. In fact, none of the singaporeans I know would regard themselves as &quot;Chinese&quot;.
Old Dec 20th, 2004, 08:09 AM

JoeE - thanks for the update on Linderhof! We were there in March of 2002 and could only walk around the outside - I'll be back in March of 05, so will now arrange my itinerary to make sure we stop by.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -