Nethy Bridge Scotland

Search

Nethy Bridge Scotland

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3rd, 2009, 04:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nethy Bridge Scotland

I will be in Nethy Bridge, Scotland the first week of June '09. Would appreciate advice on what type of clothing to take. I will be birding, so will be outside most of the day. Thanks, Susan Harrison, Birder57
Old Apr 13th, 2009, 01:40 PM

Hi Susan,
Be prepared for wind and rain that combine to make it feel like freezing, and for sunny days at 20 to 25 centigrade, or anything in between, sometimes on the same day. Dress in layers so you can put on / take off layers to match the weather, and have windproof and waterproof clothing which hopefully will never leave your bag.
You'll need high factor sn blocker if the weather is good, and midge repellant if you plan to be outside during the long summer evenings.
If you intend to go into the hills you need to be prepared for Arctic conditions even in summer, especially in the main Cairngorms range.
Give my regards to the Loch Garten ospreys!
Old Apr 19th, 2009, 04:52 AM

Hi. Are you going with Heatherlea? I'd be really interested in knowing how you get on.

IME, the first week of June is often the best of the year. It really won't be that cold, unless you're going on to the high tops, and the weather is foul. I've done Ben Macdui in summer in shorts and teeshirt- hard to believe, I know, Peter.

Layering is the best advice, but concentrate of warm weather gear, with one fleece/ pair of warm trousers/ gore-tex just in case. Those zip of trousers can be a good bet. You will need at least good hiking shoes, if not boots.

Make sure you have rain shields for your bins.
Old Apr 20th, 2009, 03:45 PM

Just in case you were wondering, the typo in my last post - "high factor sn blocker" the missing letter was "u", not "i". Sorry if this is disappointing to anyone
Old Apr 21st, 2009, 02:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. They were quite helpful. Sheila: Yes, I will be going with Heatherlea. Do you know of them? Please tell me anything you can. Re midge repellant: will US products such as OFF with 25% DEET be effective? Is either of my respondents Scottish? If either of you wishes to email me personally, you can do so at [email protected] I am so excited about this trip, and welcome any and all suggestions, remarks, etc. Susan