Reload this Page >

Nervous about U.S. Airways -- I'm traveling with them in June

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2002, 06:12 AM
MrsS

Going to Paris mid-June on U.S. Airways; returning the end of June. Booked our tickets through flights.com <BR> <BR>I'm a novice traveler and ignorant of all the airline happenings . . can anyone shed insight on whether or not I should be okay for June?

Old May 13th, 2002, 06:17 AM
Gretchen

I especially hope USAir doesn't go under but it won't happen by June.

Old May 13th, 2002, 07:03 AM
Alicia

Why? Will they be around next summer? We were going to use all our FF miles for our trip to Paris next summer. should we up our trip to this summer?

Old May 13th, 2002, 07:14 AM
MrsS

Alicia,<BR>U.S. Airways may be filing bankruptcy. I'm not sure of the specifics, but my concern is that I'll lose the $$ I've already paid for my ticket (through flights.com) and then I'll be out of luck. <BR>I don't know how to advise you on your FF miles situation.

Old May 13th, 2002, 07:22 AM
x

At this moment, your concern shouldn't be about their ability to survive. Ultimately, that is certainly a real possibility but in the near term thet should be able to hold on for a bit.<BR><BR>The airline has indicated 2 possibilities right now. File for bankruptcy (which doesn't mean they stop operating) or qualify for loans backed by the Federal government.<BR><BR>In either case, the company will need to cut expenses. In the airline industry, that usually means reducing flight schedules. <BR><BR>If they keep your flight, you'll be fine. From a legal perspective, if they do cancel your flight, you are better off if they do it in order to get the loans. Under that scenario, you would be due a refund. <BR><BR>If they file bankruptcy, any ticket holders are treated as "unsecured creditors." That means, money owed to you will be "settled" in the future. If that happens, immediately call your credit card company and dispute the charge. Typically, credit card companies will disallow the charge and aggregate the claim.

Old May 13th, 2002, 07:37 AM
MrsS

x, thanks for your explanation. We've already charged (American Express) and paid for the tickets, however, so I guess that means we wouldn't get our money back? We bought our tickets back in March and paid our charge bill in April.

Old May 14th, 2002, 08:15 AM

ttt

Old May 14th, 2002, 08:29 AM
x

If US Air files bankruptcy and cancels your flight, call AMEX anyway and dispute the charge. It doesn't matter that you already paid the bill. <BR><BR>AMEX will make a corporate decision on the handling of claims against US Air.

Old May 14th, 2002, 08:45 AM
BTilke

I just completed a transatlantic trip using US Airways (starting in Europe rather than vice versa). From what I've read, things should operate as normal until June 28. Hope you're returning before then. <BR>One piece of advice: If you have to change planes in Philly on your way home, give yourself AT LEAST two hours between flights. The passport control at Philadelphia is ridiculously mismanaged. I arrived at the same time as several other international flights (Lufthansa, BA, etc.)--these were all regularly scheduled flights coming in approximately on time. There were only FOUR people checking passports for several hundred incoming passengers--consequently, it took me more than ONE HOUR to get through the line at passport control. There was another huge security line to get into Terminal B, where I picked up my connecting flight, and I ended up missing my connection. I thought 1.45 hours was plenty of time to get from one plane to another, especially when you're not taking a break to shop or eat, but I still couldn't make my connection. The airport staff I talked to said the problem with inadequate passport control personnel has gone on for some time. People are missing connecting flights every day for no other reason. While waiting to get into Terminal B, more than a dozen people right in front and back of me also were going to be missing their connections. Inexcusable. OTOH, my flights themselves were fine (except for a LOT of turbulence on the way over, the worst I've ever experienced). The in-flight entertainment program was quite good and I saw several decent movies, including Ocean's Eleven, Traffic, A.I., plus some TV programs. The food was so-so, no better or worse than any other economy flight. <BR>FYI, you will arrive and leave from Terminal 1 in Paris. It's a little grungy compared to Terminal 2. But the passport control line moves quickly (about 10 minutes) and the luggage arrived in decent time as well. Have a good trip!

Old May 14th, 2002, 10:45 AM
doug

I believe June 28 is the deadline for the filing with the government for the loan not the deadline to declare chapter 11. <BR>Continental, TWA (twice I think) and a couple other have gone chapter 11. I believe it makes things very awkward for a few days but as long as the airline reorganizes the stockholders and employees are the major people getting screwed. FF miles usually survive and they will eventually honor your tickets. IMHO If the airline stops operating then you lose but I doubt that will happen here. Also agree with Gretchen, not in June. Could be this summer...