Neighborhood around Plaza Lucchesi, Florence

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25th, 2003, 02:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning a 10-day trip based in Florence in May and have a great rate for a room with a view at the Plaza Lucchesi Hotel. As this is not my first trip, I know the hotel is near Santa Croce, at the far end of the center of Florence. My only concern is for the evening: Is the neighborhood busy enough for a safe walk home from dinner after dark?<BR>M
Old Mar 25th, 2003, 03:04 PM

We stayed there about 3 years ago and I don't recall feeling unsafe. However I was with my husband. Don't know how I'd feel if I were alone. (Is Mallory and gal or a guy?) Wouldn't worry if I were a guy.
Old Mar 25th, 2003, 03:12 PM

I am female, and stayed alone at an apartment located very near your hotel for two weeks a couple of years ago. Never felt uncomfortable walking back at night. (Though I'm an American city girl and can't imagine feeling unsafe anywhere in Florence, comparatively speaking.)
Old Mar 25th, 2003, 04:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all ---<BR><BR>I'm reassured. I'm an American city girl as well, and just wanted to make sure.
Old Mar 25th, 2003, 06:13 PM

I stayed at Lucchesi (pronounced luke-A-zee) in January of 2001. It is a 4-star establishment. I usually stay at the Savoy, when my emplolyer pays, but I paid for this leisure trip and I received a rate of $125 a night, off season.(The same room was listed at $300 for the high season.) The neighborhood is very quiet and safe. It is a very easy to walk to Piazza Signoria, or over the bridges to Oltrarno. In May, Florence will be inundated with tourists, so you won't be alone on the streets even at night. The walls at Lucchesi are paper thin and the windows let in a lot of noise. However, the location is great, and the hotel is SPOTLESS. The maid must have come into my room 4 times during the day to straighten up. I had a beautiful Murano-glass chandelier over my bed that I wanted to steal. Unfortunately, it wouldn't fit into my suitcase.
Old Mar 26th, 2003, 04:56 AM
ira

Hi Mallory,<BR><BR> You might find it convenient to take a bus back. Maps, routes and schedules are found at<BR>http://www.ataf.net/Default_EN.asp
Old Mar 26th, 2003, 08:17 AM

I just returned from Florence last week and stayed at the Plaza Luccesi, the neighborhood is plenty safe, and the hotel was absolutely wonderful. The breakfast was a little limited but very good, the hotel was spotless, the staff extremely helpful. At night, the streets nearby are relatively uncrowded, but we felt very safe. The highlight of our 10 day trip to Florence, Venice and then Rome, came on the first night there in Florence. We were walking around about 8:30 pm home from dinner and walked through the Ufezzi courtyard where there was a musician playing and electric violin. What a wonderful time, we sat there in the courtyard for half an hour listening. (By the way, there was a police car with two officers parked in the middle of the courtyard the whole time, quite safe.) We went back the next night hoping he would be there again, but to no avail. Anyway, have a wonderful trip, you will love the hotel. And stop by the ufezzi during the evening, and hopefully you can catch the concert.
Old Mar 26th, 2003, 08:28 AM
ira

Hi tenncarguy,<BR><BR> Thanks for the heads up on the musician.
Old Mar 26th, 2003, 10:09 AM

tenncargiuy- we thought the breakfast was wonderful, expecially the omelets made to order.