Need your help making final decision

Mar 6th, 2003, 02:10 PM
Dee
Original Poster

Need your help making final decision

Message: I have done my research (thanks to this great site)and need your fianl input. We will be Venice from Oct1-Oct4. Have narrowed hotel choices to:
*Galleria-Double view of bridge E110
*P. Accademia-small double canal view E175
?any idea what SMALL double would mean?
*Ala-Delux Queen overlooking a square E250
*Rialto-standard double no view E220
The room prices really vary. Would appreciate your thoughts.

Mar 6th, 2003, 03:12 PM

Dee-If you don't mind a small room I'd go for the Galleria because the location's good & you'll have a view & save money for eating 7 shopping! Otherwise I'd try to get a larger room with a view (maybe at the Ala? 250 sounds high for no water view) or La Calcina or the Marconi at the Rialto Bridge. Most people will probably suggest the Accademia out of your choices, but I was there in Dec. in a superior double with a canal view (225e) & while the bathroom was great, the room was not very spacious. The Ala seemed to have good prices on venere.com. Have you checked there? Another option, if you don't mind forgoing a water view, is the Ca Pisani. It's near the Accademia, it's newish, it's 4* with 3* prices because it's not on the water. Sorry i'm not making it easy.
Mar 6th, 2003, 03:48 PM

Is the large room with a view available at the galleria?,I have reserved it for the 8-12th of October and that would be my choice if available.
Mar 6th, 2003, 04:03 PM

Dee--I hope you notice you have made a duplicate posting of this question. I'm responding to the one that appeared higher on the list. Here's what I'd think about in picking a hotel:
(1) View---if view of water or of some other attractive scene is important, and if you want to sacrifice other comforts, such as a larger room, go for the Galleria or the Accademia. Only you can decide what is most important, but remember that most people aren't in their rooms very long, and very rarely once daylight arrives.
(2) Location: Although I really believe location in Venice isn't critical because everything is only a stroll or a vaporetto ride away, some people want to be in or near a specific spot. If you want a central location, something around the Rialto bridge is probably best. If you want to be near St. Mark's, there are lots of reasonably priced hotels just off the water and near the square. My favorite is a little hotel called Campiello, at www.hcampiello.com.
(3) Comfort: For more comfort, there are a zillion hotels comparable to the Ala, in good locations throughout Venice. Do you want a queen bed? If larger beds are better, go for a room with two twin beds, the equivalent of a king and a lot more available. Do you want a larger room? Again, there are lots of choices, but out of your list I would pick a deluxe room or suite. By the way, a SMALL double as mentioned by the Accademia would be VERY small by typical U.S. standards in any motel like Holiday Inn, Marriott Courtyard, or the like.
(4) Price: Galleria obviously wins from your list, but beware. The hotel isn't top drawer, most of the rooms are quite small, and the service somewhat haphazard. Still, it's just a place to sleep. And they do serve a decent breakfast. Another gauge of the Galleria's quality is that it is not listed in the Michelin Red Guide--a possible sign of a less desirable hotel, but not always.

Sorry I haven't been of much specific help, but I have been to Venice about a dozen times and I simply believe that the hotel where you stay is the least important matter---as long as it meets your own personal minimum standards. Stick to the hotels that have gotten good reviews on this web site and you won't go wrong. I'll also add an endorsement for Ca' Pisani, but it's pretty expensive. Good luck.
Mar 6th, 2003, 05:00 PM

Does the Galleria double have a bath? If so, book it. If not, go to www.locandabarbarigo.com and tell Vito I sent you.
Mar 6th, 2003, 05:52 PM
Dee
Original Poster

Thank you all for input. We are actually staying in Italy for a month (our 1st time)will be flying in and out of Venice. We have allowed ourselves 3 days on either end to stay in Venice.The Ala said that the room usually goes for E320 a night!? I had LaCalcina on my 1st list but elinated it.have double no view.
Ca Pisani is A bit more $$$.
Mar 6th, 2003, 05:58 PM
Dee
Original Poster

Thank you all for input. We are actually staying in Italy for a month (our 1st time)will be flying in and out of Venice. We have allowed ourselves 3 days on either end to stay in Venice.The Ala said that the room usually goes for E320 a night!? I had LaCalcina on my 1st list but elinated it.have double no view.
Ca Pisani is A bit more $$$.
Wayne location as you stated is not as important to us but a larger room is.
Bobthenavigator, I checked out the web site and I like the looks of THOSE rooms
Would Smeraldina be considered a superior room would you know?
thanks again and keep those thoughts coming. By the way Wayne the duplication is due to my computer skill illiteracy!

Mar 6th, 2003, 07:06 PM
ira

Hi Bob,
If I tell Vito at the Locanda Barbarigo that you sent me, will I get a discount on the cost of the room?
Mar 6th, 2003, 07:28 PM

No discount, especially during season, but you might get a better room. They are very small, but very helpful and nice--and they both speak excellent English. She is Christina--a young couple who are trying to make a name.
Yes, I believe the Smerdalina is one of their best rooms. I love the location near the Santa Maria Giglio stop.
Mar 6th, 2003, 08:15 PM
Dee
Original Poster

Bobthenavigator,
Do you think then that E192 would be the price for that particular room? If this room is one of their best are the lesser $ rooms nice as well or should I be happy with a possible E192 as we really do want a nice room. What kind of a view could I expect? Thank you for your time and knowledge.
Mar 6th, 2003, 11:59 PM

Dee, we have reservations for this March at the locanda barbarigo (rosaura room)..will email you when I get back
Mar 7th, 2003, 04:53 AM

Go for the Galleria--you're not going to get anywhere near the added value for what the others cost.
Mar 7th, 2003, 06:52 AM

We stayed at this Ala just 2 weeks ago and loved it. The location is great - just a very short (straight) walk from the vaparetto stop. We had two rooms as we were traveling with our kids, our room was a double. Both rooms were on a canal. We were able to get a promotional rate because it was February, so we paid 120 euros per night per room. I highly recommend the hotel. We would definitely stay there again.
Mar 7th, 2003, 07:27 AM

Wow--$192 sounds high. I would have guessed closer to $150. They have no view. It is on a side canal right smack behind the Hotel Ala. If you are price sensitive, I too would take the $110 at the Galleria---with a bath ensuite.
Mar 7th, 2003, 08:33 AM
rex

Consolidating from your "other" post, (same question) under this same title:

Author: elaine
Date: 03/07/2003, 11:16 am

Message: here's how small a small double can be, I haven't seen one at the Accademia but I've had very small doubles in Paris:
a small double can mean that there is one double-sized bed, and it is possible that there is a wall only inches away on either side. It is possible there is no clothes hanging space or no drawer space; certainly one or the other is likely to be true. It is possible that there is no place to open a suitcase, that is, not enough floor space, so that you have to keep it closed during most of the time, and can only open it by laying it on the bed.

However, all of that said, what is a "small double" at the Accademia might be better or worse than a "standard" at the Rialto.
Hopefully some people who have stayed in those specific rooms will reply here.
Price aside, strictly on the info you have provided so far, the deluxe room at the Ala sounds good to me. The Ala is very well thought of.

Some people look at a hotel room only as a place to shower and sleep; others want more comfort and space. Some want to pay for a view, others don't care at all about the view.

=================

and I agree with Elaine about the size of a "small double" - - a double bed typically covers 24-30 sq. feet (4 to 5 feet wide, 6 feet long); a "small double might easily be less than 60 sq. feet total room area - - i.e., the bed occupies more than 50% of the total room floor space.

I don't know that this is true of any room at Pensione Accademia, but I have stayed at hotels in Europe where it was true.

Best wishes,

Rex
[email protected]
Mar 7th, 2003, 01:27 PM

And to add to Elaine & Rex's comments on how small is small, I believe the smallest rooms are on the 3rd (or higher?) floor at the Accademia-no elevator. There is a wonderful porter who will carry luggage but not you! Did they tell you where the room is or on which floor?

To "beat a dead horse" on prices Dee, I saw prices on venere.com for the Ala and Ca Pisani that were not bad. They quote by the total stay (ie not per day). I'd be curious for you to check these vs what you've been told.
Mar 7th, 2003, 02:01 PM
Dee
Original Poster

Romsy thanks, I would love to hear what you think. Have a great time !
NBOB-I was unable to send an email to Zito. I used the address on their site. Do you have another address?
I did a check of the quotes that I recieved against venere and they pretty much matched. I don't know, I was trying not to spend more then $200 a night. We do prefer comfort & space over a view.

Mar 7th, 2003, 02:39 PM
Dee
Original Poster

OOPS! I MEAN VITO ! Pardon

Search this Thread