Need travel agent recommendation

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30th, 2003, 12:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, I KNOW this is going to sound like a troll post, but, most assuredly, it is not.<BR><BR>I'm relatively inexperienced in the world of travel agents, and have had some bad experience in the past. I am looking for an honest recommendation for an honest, real-live travel agent. I need help for my trip to London this summer, from Florida. I would greatly appreciate any tips from reliable sources. If you want to email me privately with the recommendations (to avoid any chance of violating non-advertising strictures) then please be my guest ([email protected]).<BR><BR>Thank you in advance! And please, please, I will be trusting your judgement...<BR><BR>Christy
Old Jan 30th, 2003, 12:21 PM
jor

I can not imagine a sales agent that does not tell you that they have the best deals and prices. Hope your email in-box is not overflowing!
Old Jan 30th, 2003, 12:43 PM

Hi Christy,<BR>I remember some of your posts from the past couple of months and I recall that you are planning to spend your honeymoon in London.<BR>People here have given you quite a few ideas for London hotels that meet the criteria you posted.<BR>Is there some additional information we can help you with so than you can plan this trip on your own ( since you have had bad experiences with travel agents)?<BR>
Old Jan 30th, 2003, 04:54 PM

Old Jan 30th, 2003, 05:45 PM
Original Poster

Yes, I'm the same person. I am looking for information you might not be able to find on a website, and I haven't been able to find through advice... such as a hotel with very particular criteria, like a big bed (my husband and I are both over 250 lbs, and he's 6'4&quot canopy/four-poster, edwardian or victorian decor, etc... and I thought to compare the info I have gotten so far to that of a travel agent, and see what the best deal is.... I really like exploring ALL my options DD
Old Jan 31st, 2003, 07:24 PM
Original Poster

ttt -- still looking for an honest travel agent (are there none out there??) to compare prices with my own research
Old Jan 31st, 2003, 07:44 PM

OK, I'll stick my neck out here. I suppose you aren't getting any answers because most of us don't believe you can find a travel agent with the same kind of knowledge that you can gain from a place like this. It's not a question of honesty, it's a question of knowledge based on personal experience. How many travel agents really know the particulars of a lot of hotels? Most only know what they've been told or from where they have stayed personally.<BR>And to be perfectly blunt, I'm not sure where (even from a hotel directly) you would find information like &quot;will the bed support 500 pounds of weight and is it over 6'4&quot; in length&quot;.
Old Jan 31st, 2003, 08:23 PM

I think this is just too arcane a request, also. You probably can find some agents who are experts on London -- I don't know any but someone must. All I can say is that Conde Nast Traveler had an issue devoted to top travel agents, with specialty sometime within the past year (maybe last 6 months) so maybe you can find that at a library. <BR><BR>As for the bed requirements, I doubt if a travel agent would know that either, unless they were used to catering to some particular client who happened to have those needs. I think that's something you'd have to ask a hotel directly when inquiring about the rooms.<BR>
Old Jan 31st, 2003, 08:36 PM

GreenDragon, you might be asking for too much. Most period furniture was built for shorter and lighter persons. You might find a four poster/canopy bed wide enough for 2 large persons but it may lack in length. Europe is not known for &quot;super sizing&quot; things and the most complaints by Americans about hotels are the room and bed size. Most fodorites seem to be the &quot;do it your selfer&quot; types and don't frequently use travel agents, thus none to recommend. Check out the website www.travelbritain.org and click on the &quot;find a britagent&quot; link. That may help locate a an agent with extensive info about hotels that meet your criteria. The Euston Plaza hotel supposedly has the largest hotel beds in London in their executive king rooms. They're not canopied or four postered but they are large. Patrick is correct in stating that travel agents only know the particulars of any given hotel based on personal experience and extensive feedback given by their clients or colleagues. One more thing, you mentioned that you and your fiance are both over 250 lbs. If you were not planning on flying first or business class, you may want to consider splurging to ensure a comfortable flight. Being 6'4 and stuck in coach for 9 hours each way is no fun. Good luck in your search and have a great time.
Old Feb 1st, 2003, 06:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your suggestions, I will try that... and yes, I've flown overseas many times. I'm ok in coach (I'm only 5'7&quot but my husband is miserable. We tried to upgrade once on a flight... they wanted $3000 each for an upgrade to business class!!!! Sorry, but I'm the only wage-earning person and I am not rich... our usual option is to hope for two seats and an empty on a three-seat row, or to bull it out in a two-seat block... we try very hard not to sit next to a stranger and make them miserable...