Need Travel advice for France

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4th, 2013, 06:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My family and I will be in Europe in October. We are flying in/out of Paris and have one full week. We don't want to spend the entire week in Paris and would like to visit at least one other city during that time. I realize we are short on time but if anyone can suggest some excursions/locations we can travel to preferably by train I would so appreciate it. I am so overwhelmed with my research and I am having a difficult time choosing how to plan my week. I don't want to try and fit in too much into the short time we have. Any advice/suggestions are welcome. Thank you!!
Old Sep 4th, 2013, 07:15 AM

Typical day trips are to Versaille and Monet's home, Giverny. Chartres cathedral another.

Let me be the first to say that you won't run out of things to do in a week though! My husband and I stayed 2 weeks in Paris and took two bus trips with Cityrama: one to Bruges and one to Loire Valley chateaux. Each was a long day but enjoyable.

What types of things do you like to do/see?
Old Sep 4th, 2013, 07:20 AM

You will be amazed at spending that entire time in Paris. We have done it often and still didn't have time to do Versailles or Giverney, but those are worthy day trips.
You could go to Chartres for the day also, as suggested.
Old Sep 4th, 2013, 07:43 AM

There's so much to do in Paris that 1 week is hardly enough. I think you should stay there for the week.

But if you do want to leave it's best to go to another destination first since you're flying home from Paris plus the first day is often a loss if you're on a overnight flight.

Since you say you don't want to spend the whole time in Paris I'm interpreting that to mean you want at least an overnight elsewhere. My suggestion:

Bruges for something completely different from Paris yet not too far away.

You're overwhelmed because you have too short a time for Paris yet you want to leave for another location or two. If you would focus only on the top things you want to see in Paris then the trip would come more into focus.
Old Sep 4th, 2013, 08:40 AM

Sounds as if this is your first visit to Paris. If that's the case don't cheat yourself... a week is hardly enough. Don't go elsewhere unless it's a day trip to Versailles, Giverny, Chartres etc. Less is more. ;^)
Old Sep 4th, 2013, 08:51 AM

I agree with the others - just do a day trip - - maybe to Versailles or Giverny.

You might also enjoy going to Champagne country for a tour.
We went to Ruinart in Reims and loved it. There is plenty to enjoy in Reims. Beautiful Cathedral and Champagne houses. It is about an hour train ride.
Old Sep 4th, 2013, 09:07 AM

It's your trip, a lot of people don't want to spend one week in a city and not see something else, I often don't.

YOu could go to Reims, Strasbourg, Dijon or Lyon easily by train in a few hours for a change, if you want. Those are cities, also, of course. I think you can even take the train from Lyon direct to CDG airport upon leaving, so that would be convenient.
Old Sep 4th, 2013, 09:28 AM

a lot of suggestions in France. You can also do a high speed train to London.
Old Sep 4th, 2013, 09:45 AM

We have been to Paris six times (many who post here have been there even more often), the last four times for a whole month in an apartment, and we still have many things left on our "to do next time" list.
Old Sep 4th, 2013, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much!! I think we've decided to stay the week in Paris and if so choose, perhaps decide on a day trip once we are there. Now...suggestions on place to stay??
Old Sep 4th, 2013, 10:30 AM

If you're talking about Oct., 2013, you'd better get going with reservations asap as it is a busy time, not "low season" at all. I've had my Oct. hotel reservations since May. Before anyone can give you recommendations, we'd need to know what price range you're thinking about, hotel or apartment, any other info that could help narrow it down.
Old Sep 4th, 2013, 12:41 PM
Original Poster

I'm surprised. I would not have thought October to be a busy time. We could not book any further in advance since I am meeting my hubby there. He is in the army and is currently in Pakistan. We had to wait until we got the go-ahead from the powers that be to plan our trip. That being said, our price range would probably be upto $150/night, could possibly go a bit higher. I think I would prefer an apartment, walking distance to "stuff" since my children and I will be arriving a day sooner than my husband. I'm also a bit nervous of finding transportation from the airport our accommodations.
Old Sep 4th, 2013, 12:51 PM

The Paris Fashion Show is at that time I think - anyway another awesome day trip is to Reims to visit the world-famous cathedral, a sweet regional town and especially tour the famous prestigious Champagne factories and their caves to see how the bubbly is produced and then to sample some in the tasting rooms. Major Champagne houses are a site in themselves - some of the caves are veritable art museums.

Reims is under an hour away by high-speed trains - you also get the chance to bullet along on TGVs at nearly 200 mph to get there. And there is also the Word War 2 War Room, in an old school where the Allied generals plotted the final assault on Germany - war maps still grace the walls and name plates the long tables.

I disagree that you should spend all five days in Paris - do at least one day trip to see the REAL France like in Reims or Chartres!
Old Sep 4th, 2013, 01:00 PM

Even without children and luggage, I always suggest a cab. It's just easiest.

That being said, we took an airport bus one time that stopped at Arc de Triomphe and Montparnasse Station. We stayed at a Hilton there but I can't remember the price now.

If you google apartments near either of those places, you should find things in your range.
Old Sep 4th, 2013, 01:40 PM

How nice your husband can come from his post in Pakistan to meet you and your children in Paris. How many children do you have and what are their ages?

I think an apartment would be the best accommodation for you all, but your $150 budget does present a challenge as that would be around €113 per night.

Another thing to look into would be if any of the American chain hotels offer Military/Government rates like they do in the US.

Give us some more information to get more specific hotel or apartment suggestions.
Old Sep 4th, 2013, 01:44 PM

Great point, MaineGG about American chains offering Military rates.
Old Sep 4th, 2013, 01:46 PM
Original Poster

I've been looking at some apartments that are listed for $1100-$1500/week. I would like a one bedroom with sleeping for my two children age 13 & 15. I am a little hesitant however, since I'm not sure what would be a good area and what wouldn't be.
Old Sep 4th, 2013, 01:56 PM

Arrondisements 1-8 are generally the areas of central Paris. You might like to look in 5 or 6 which are a little more lively and could interest your kids more.
DO take a taxi to wherever you are staying and just get a bit of stress off the front end of the trip. Print out the address and a little map to hand to the taxi driver--it will probably be about 50E. Go to the taxi queue and the taxi guy will get you a cab.
Old Sep 4th, 2013, 02:12 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Gretchen, that is very helpful!
Old Sep 4th, 2013, 03:38 PM

You will find that a good guidebook is a huge help in planning activities. I especially like the Michelin Green Guide to Paris and the Eyewitness Guide, both of which have recommended sightseeing itineraries by neighborhood.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -