NEED TRAIN EXPERTS!! Best way to make train reservations

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2003, 05:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I leave May 20th for three weeks in France, Swizterland and Germany. We have the eurorail select pass for three countries with first class tickets. Several of the trains require reservations (compulsitory). We have already bought the tickets and have them already. How do we make the reservation. We are taking the TGV from Paris to Dejion and the again from Dejion to Zurick. WHAT DO WE DO?
Old May 6th, 2003, 05:44 PM
Bootman4U

You can do one of two things: make the seat reservations before you leave by calling an agency such as RailEurope or you can wait and get seat reservations once you arrive. Be aware that by buying the seat reservations here you'll pay more as well as a service charge. A lot of folks will tell you to wait until you get over there. The advantage of doing it prior to arrival is not having to stand in lines, if there are any, at the rail station (and you should be able to make all of your seat reservations at one time regardless of country involved. A lot of foks feel that the extra expense of booking seats here vs. there isn't worth it. But a lot of people think passes aren't worth it either.

Old May 6th, 2003, 05:46 PM
Bootman4U

Oooops.....Look at those tickets you say you have..if you have tickets as well as the passes then it sounds as if you already have the seat reservations. If the "tickets" have a specific train number and a seat number on them then you've already got the reservations.

Old May 6th, 2003, 05:47 PM
sjk

You can get your reservation at the train station when you arrive. The faster trains usually require an additional 3-4 Euro "reservation". Go to a ticket counter, show them your Eurail pass, and tell them you'd like a reservation for the train from xx to xx. It will be handy if you know the time of departure, but if not they will be sure to let you know. Not quite sure by what you mean when you say you already have the tickets... did you mean you've got your rail passes?
Old May 6th, 2003, 06:05 PM
Original Poster

Sorry for the confusion. I already have the rail passes.

Do I need to worry that the TGV from Paris to Dejion or Dejion to Zurick might be booked? We are going May 20th to June 8th. The TGV would be the week of May 20th. We will also be on the ICE in Germany.
Old May 6th, 2003, 07:03 PM
Bootman4U

Reservations on ICE trains within Germany are usually not compulsory...HOWEVER...you might be wise to book seats in case the train/day you are traveling is jammed..and they can be very jammed so much so that you may have to stand in the aisleways waiting for seats to become vacant. Making the reservations over there is easy..just do them all at once and then you won't have to worry.

Old May 6th, 2003, 07:17 PM
Bootman4U

A further consideration...do you want to go to Dijon or is that just the routing you were thinking of. Another alternative from Paris would be the several TGV services that run direct from Paris Lyon to Zurich without changes #9281 at 7:44 Am and #9285/9273 departing at 4:44PM. The Dijon-Zurich service may require you to change in Bern. Email me at [email protected] if you need more explicit info.