Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Need Town Suggestions Southern/ Southeastern Ireland

Old May 25th, 2008, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

We were in Ireland in May 2006 and just loved it!!! We stayed in a self-catering cottage in Portsalon in County Donegal, and took day trips from there.
So, now, we are planning to return in May or June of 2009.
We plan to fly into Dublin, spend a few days, rent a car, drive our way to Shannon Airport. Towns we'd like to visit are Kinsale, Kenmare and Dingle.
My question is, what would be a good stop (or two) between Dublin and Kinsale? I'm thinking along the coast, but I'm open to suggestions.
The length of the trip would be at least 10-12 days, including travel days.
If anyone has suggestions for a town or two to add, I'd appreciate it.
We prefer scenery, quaint towns, some history.
Thanks,
Cindy
Old May 25th, 2008, 09:11 AM
Original Poster

Wanted to add that my husband would like to play a few rounds of golf, but the prices have pretty much floored me!!! Any reasonable suggestios there?
Old May 28th, 2008, 01:48 PM

Kilkenny is a wonderful inland "city" with lots to do and a rich history. It's an easy 1.5-2 hour drive from Dublin.

I stayed in the little village of Dunmore East south of Waterford which I enjoyed quite a bit. It is ceratinly a quaint little village and the scenery all around is lovely. You'll find some excellent seafood. Hook Head is across the Bay and is a great trip from Dunmore East.

Bill
Old May 28th, 2008, 04:25 PM

There is a small village along the coast between Dungarven and Youghal called Ardmor. It has a small Hotel called ClffHouse that sits on a steep cliff overlooking the sea. old but very clean and right outside the door begins a cliff walk along the coast that is very nice. Two Pubs in town. I stayed there twice but not in the last couple of years. Have fun
Old May 29th, 2008, 01:43 AM

Although not coastal, another suggestion might be Cashel on your way to Kinsale.

http://www.cashel.ie/attractions.htm

This wont add any length to your journey.

Give yourself plenty of time in west county Cork, you wont regret it!

Shannon town's golf course is quite good and reasonable, and a nice way to end off your trip.

http://www.shannongolfclub.ie/

While in the area don't miss a chance to visit some of the historical sites like Quin abbey, Dromoland castle, Mooghaun hill fort, Craggaunowen, Bunratty and Knappogue.
Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 07:04 PM
Original Poster

I wanted to thank you all for your input. Thinking about it, I have decided to fly in and out of Shannon, bypassing Dublin this trip. I think we would enjoy this trip more to concentrate on the Dingle Penensula. There's always next time!