Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > What is fun and interesting to do in Ireland??

What is fun and interesting to do in Ireland??

Oct 24th, 2005, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

What is fun and interesting to do in Ireland??

Hello all I am going to be going to Ireland for the first time on Nov 20-27... I am currious as to what there is to do.. I love anything and everything.. I love the outdoors-fun pubs... I will be staying in Limerick with a friend, but we will be traveling around... I have been trying to do different searches online but haven't really found that much... SO if you could help me out with either some good sites to check out or fun and interesting things to do that'd be great!! Thanks in advance!!

JMo
Oct 24th, 2005, 12:48 PM

If Irish history and culture are of interest, in Dublin:

-Visit Kilmainham jail
-Take the Walk of the 1916 Rebellion. Check with the Tourist Bureau near Grafton Street.
-See the Book of Kells at Trinity College.
Oct 24th, 2005, 01:42 PM

My favorite is to get off the beaten path along the west and southwest coast and visit the small coastal village and the peninsulas and interact with the locals. The scenery is great and the people for the most part are those warm and freindly folks you have heard about. Have fun P.S. The North coast is spectacular too.
Oct 24th, 2005, 03:14 PM

Drive down to Dingle..........it's a wonderful town and the scenery around it is the best! Slea Head drive, Connor Pass, archiologial sites.....
Oct 24th, 2005, 04:19 PM

Hi NaeNae:

If you have a friend in Limerick, I'm guessing he/she will have some ideas but the Dingle and genearlly west coast is an excellent plan. I would suggest splurging and spending a few nights away from home base. Dingle is a short drive, but the days will be quite short and you might find the need to stop for a pint and enjoy the craic and suddenly realize the sun had set hours before.

If you do the SW coast (which I whole heartedly agree with) you definitely would want a home away from home. You will see very few tourists and you will also find a number of the actractions closed at that time of year. The good news is that two of the best attractions will be open ... the scenery and the pubs.

Bill
Oct 25th, 2005, 02:02 AM

If you're staying in Limerick City be sure to visit Dolan's on Dock Street: not 'Trad' Irish music but more like what U2 puts out.

For 'Trad' Irish the 'George' Hotel basement transforms to Skibberrean on Sunday nites starting around 10 PM.

Weather permitting, Sunday around noon an Irish C&W group sets up at the sidewalk cafe outside the 'Brazen Head' on O'Connell (Corner Cecil St.). Then there's always the Hunt Museum, King John's Castle, the Treaty Stone, etc. This is all assuming you will be staying in Limerick City ... If you're staying elsewhere in County Limerick, there may be other stuff to see (and do).

You can do the 'Angela's Ashes' walk from the ITB near Arthur's Quay: You don't have to wait for the group; you can do it on your own.
Oct 25th, 2005, 11:30 AM
CU

have a look at www.goireland.com
Limerick is a university city so hit out that way and meet up with the guys. Also have a look at www.limerick-leader.ie to see what is happening. Enjoy

Search this Thread