Need to find hotel in Brittany quick!

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2007, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Help! I am planning a trip to Brittany in July, and need to find a nice hotel or chateau in the eastern region, near St. Malo or Dinard. Les Rimains (Maison de Bricourt) is booked up!

Thanks!
Old May 17th, 2007, 11:26 AM

It is pretty late for reservations..think you will just have to try to find one that is available...
Old May 17th, 2007, 11:33 AM
Pausanias

Try Hotel de l'Avaugour http://www.avaugourhotel.com/ in Dinan.

Old May 17th, 2007, 11:37 AM

Have you gone to the usual suspects: Venere, Fodor's or Frommer's guide book online?
Old May 19th, 2007, 01:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! There is a nice hotel available in St. Malo---Grand hotel des thermes. Avaugourhotel looks lovely---I just sent them a booking request. Will try fodor's and frommer on line. Thanks for your help!
Old May 19th, 2007, 04:31 PM

There is a "Barriere" Hotel in Dinard that is very good and is located right on the bay. Some rooms have ocean views.
Old May 19th, 2007, 04:49 PM

Don't know how close you want or need to be to Dinard or St Malo..but about a bit over an hour away in Questembert, we were delighted with our stay at Le Bretagne and Sa Residence. The rooms are excellent , the food wonderful and the surroundings and ease to seeing Brittany very good

http://www.residence-le-bretagne.com
Old May 19th, 2007, 06:54 PM

Tennistraveler:

From my trip report - not top end, but perfectly acceptable:

I booked an hotel just outside St. Malo, the Tirel Guérin, from the Chateaux & Hotels de France website ( an old favorite, that has never let me down).

The Hotel Tirel Guérin is an odd bird.

http://www.chateauxethotels.com/publ...nts.php?id=360

It shows signs of having originally been a road-side motel (VERY close to a road, but not a lot of traffic), recently renovated in a “Suburban retro-90s” manner (Hunter Green carpets, wood veneer, matching patterned polyester bedspreads and curtains), not a style I was particularly fond of at the time, when I was decorating in the “Italian Minimalist” style; it has a pool, gym and tennis courts. I could not say, even at the wildest stretch, that it has “character”, but it is very comfortable and clean (think Hilton, but much cleaner and newer) and a perfect location for what I eventually planned to do the next day. I had a very large double deluxe room with very large bathroom for less than 100 Euros in high season.

The restaurant décor was OTT (Over The Top) Louis XV meets Pepto-Bismol, but the food was very good and not too expensive. I was the only foreigner that night, but was given an English menu, so they obviously get enough English tourists to warrant the translation.

I perused the menu with my usual Coup de Champagne and started with the “Foie Gras de Canard, Quenelles de Figues” and chose the Filet de Bœuf Vin Rouge, Darphin de Pomme de Terre aux Échalotes confites” for the main course. I ordered a bottle of good Bordeaux, drank some at dinner and brought the remainder back to my room. The food was excellent, but did not hit the perfection of the restaurant at Hotel de la Plage. Service was good, but not top-notch.

Here is my trip Brittany report :

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...p;tid=34844858

Regards … Ger