Need tips on touring the Amalfi coast

Old Sep 24th, 2009, 02:54 PM
Original Poster

Need tips on touring the Amalfi coast

Will stay in Sorrento from Oct 17 - Oct 24. 3 Adults. Is the local bus the best way to get to & from Amalfi, Ravello, Positano? I know the ferries are an option also. We stayed in Sorrento last Nov, but never got to the Amalfi coast.
Old Sep 24th, 2009, 03:56 PM

A driver is a really nice way to go, although pricy. It is fun to approach these place by boat,also, although you will have to get up to Ravello from Amalfi. I can recommend Francesco Marrapese as a driver who does a great job.
francescomarrapes.com
Old Sep 24th, 2009, 05:24 PM
GAC

Take the SITA bus and buy an UNICO COSTIERA bus ticket for 24-hrs or 3-days.

One day to see Ravello and Amalfi; a second day to see Positano/Praiano.

One day to see the Ruins of Pompei (via Circumvesuviana train)

One or two days to visit Naples (via Circumvesuviana train)

One day to go to Capri (via hydrofoil or ferry)

There may be very limited boat service this time of year to and from the Amalfi Coast, so check the schedules carefully.
Old Sep 25th, 2009, 07:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tip on the driver. We'd been leaning towards splurging for a driver for an Amalfi coast excursion. I sent in my quote request, but in the meantime while I wait for a response, can you tell me what services you used and how much you paid?
Old Oct 12th, 2009, 02:53 AM

Hi Cathy - For a driver you will normally approx €150 for a half-day tour;
€ 300 for a full day.

Personally I always think a driver is an big expense for an Amalfi Coast tour when distances are so short. It depends what you want ...

Steve
Old Oct 12th, 2009, 06:49 AM
GAC

If you have the luxury of three days along the Amalfi Coast, there's no real reason to need to hire a private car and driver. You can get to all the tourist sites by SITA bus (or by ferry/hydrofoil during the summer). The buses run hourly on average, and are reliable. In late October, the SITA buses will not be crowded, and road traffic will be much less than during the summer. A three-day bus ticket (UNICO COSTIERA) costs a mere 15 Euros per person. That's better than paying over 300-500 Euros per day for a driver!!!

And from Sorrento, Pompei is a mere 30-minutes by Circumvesuviana train (service every half-hour, fare 1.90 Euros). The train drops you 200 yards from the Pompei Scavi ticket office. It can't be any easier or cheaper. The same train takes you all the way to Naples (64 minutes travel time from Sorrento, 3.30 Euros one-way).

Finally, from Sorrento there is daily bus service direct to Roma Tiburtina Station by both Curreri and Marozzi Lines. This avoids needing to connect trains at Napoli Centrale Station.

Sorrento is also connected to Capri and Naples by hydrofoil.

www.sitabus.it
www.vesuviana.it
www.curreriviaggi.it
www.marozzivt.it