Need specific Rome info

Jun 9th, 2001, 05:15 PM
polly

Need specific Rome info

Ive learned via twenj.com's link to the Vatican Museum website that the museums will not be open June 14 (Wednesday) during my Rome visit. Does this mean that St. Peter's will also be closed that day? Also, can folks stroll through the Vatican Gardens un-
guided?

Jun 9th, 2001, 05:20 PM
Capo

Hi Polly. I wouldn't think St. Peter's -- the interior of it, anyway -- would ever close (the stairs to the cupola might, I suppose.)

As to your other question, I'm positive that one cannot visit the Vatican Gardens unguided.

Jun 9th, 2001, 05:57 PM
Ed

St. Peter's should be open, unless and except if there's a Papal Mass that day, in which case it would be closed for that time.

The Vatican Gardens, for most of us, can only be visited via the tour. Of course if you have a prelate or well-placed Vatican official as a friend or relative of course that's different. Most of the Vatican with the exception of the square, church and museums is closed to the general public.

Jun 9th, 2001, 06:01 PM
Capo

Ed, I presume a papal mass is one at which the pope himself presides. Sorry if this is a naive question, but who gets let in to a papal mass? Only members of the St. Peter's congregation?

Jun 9th, 2001, 06:33 PM
Ed

I'm not sure there is a "St. Peter's" congregation. Interesting question.

Papal mass admissin by ticket only. Church and government officials, of course, but many "general public" as well.

The American Parish in Rome can arrange tickets for papal masses. See
http://www.santasusanna.org/html/Tickets/tickets.html

Just in case you didn't find the page, if you're interested in touring the Vatican Gardens, touring St. Peter's excavations or attending a Papal Audience you'll find very helpful info at:
www.twenj.com/romevatican.htm