Just returned from trip to Germany

Jun 5th, 2001, 03:48 PM
Robbie

Just returned from trip to Germany

Just returned from a trip to Germany. I Was in Frankfurt, Cologne, Duesseldorf, Hamburg, Celle, Hannover, Berlin, Leipzig, Dresden, Erfurt, Weimar, Wartburg, Wurzburg, Nuremberg, Rothenburg, Munich, Lindau, Freiburg, Heidelberg. If you have any questions ask away.

Jun 5th, 2001, 05:01 PM
Art

Robbie, I hope that you will post a trip report here. (I hate the word report, it sounds to much like work. Have any of you fodorites got a better word for it?)

Jun 5th, 2001, 09:02 PM
xxx

Um...travelogue?

Jun 5th, 2001, 09:07 PM
Gerry

Robbie:

Did you see a lot of people buying bratwurst on a bun, then eating the bratwurst and then throwing the bun away?

Jun 6th, 2001, 04:55 AM
maggi

Funny you should mention...I ordered the oft recommended Weisswurt in Munich and asked for it in a bun. They gave it to me that way, but looked at me funny. I ate it, bun and all. Later found out that the Germans eat them bunless with a knife and fork, after peeling the skin off!

Jun 6th, 2001, 05:52 AM
Bill

Robbie and Maggi -

Any recommendations for places to eat and drink in Munich? We'll be there in a month, staying in the city for two nights.

- Bill

Jun 6th, 2001, 06:04 AM
Todd

Robbie:

What was the latest on Lufthansa and their pilots striking?

Jun 6th, 2001, 06:47 AM
Dianne

What did you do in Berlin? Did you visit any museums there? How did you like Freiburg?

Jun 6th, 2001, 06:53 AM
just

More info please! Like how long did you stay in each place, what did you like/dislike, could you/should you have stayed longer/shorter in any one place, etc. Thanks

Jun 6th, 2001, 10:14 AM
Shanna

Robbie, you must have driven, correct? If so, where did you fly into, pick up car; how did you get gas, pay tolls, find directions/maps etc. Package deal a la AutoEurope or do-it-yourself? Was this easy or difficult? Automatic or manual? Economy or standard size? And, jeez, how long was this trip? You covered a lot of ground. Did you stay in Rothenburg? Did you stay in a couple places and drive to the rest or stay in each? Hmmmm... yes the weisswurst is to be eaten with fork and knife and yummy relishy mustard, before noon, with wheat beer. I think someone was asking if people threw away the brod from the brat und brod - horrors! It's good bread! (I'm worried my German spelling is slipping.)

Jun 6th, 2001, 06:39 PM
Robbie

Dear Gerry

When we were in Erfurt went to the market place in the center of the altstadt (oldtown) and tried the Bratwurst there. We were told that the best Bratwurst were to be had in this area of Thuringia. They served it on a hard roll and it was huge. It was hanging out the ends on both sides of the roll. There was a long line of locals waiting for theirs. It was very good. We did eat the roll as did the locals. The rolls, bread and bakery goods in Germany are wonderfull.

Jun 6th, 2001, 06:57 PM
Miriam

Hello,

to Todd: The Lufthansa pilots strike is over-for the moment. They`re trying to find a solution. Former External Affairs Representative Hans-Dietrich Genscher is involved in the meetings between Lufthansa and the Union(Cockpit). We hope that it turns out well.

Miriam

Jun 6th, 2001, 07:04 PM
Robbie

Dear Shanna

We were on a tour. We were in Germany for 2 weeks and there would have been no way we could have covered the territory we did without a good bus driver. You can purchase good roadmaps here in the U.S. or wait and buy them when you get there. The gas is sold by the liter not the gallon. I did see the prices on some of the stations. Was about 1.57 DM per liter for regular. There is diffently a problem with parking in the major cities ie.. Berlin, Hamburg, Munich. They have these neat little cars Smart cars (made by Mercedes). They are very compact and can get in and out of tight spots. We did not stay in Rothenburg. We spent about 4 hours there. We walked a portion of the old wall and walked through town. Taking in the old buildings and sampling the local fair. I spoke to some of the young and old locals in the area. I had to laugh because I have seen over and over again on this forum how Americans lack class because we like to eat McDonalds. There is a McDonalds right in downtown Rothenburg. The youngsters in town would rather eat McDonalds then sausages or anything else. There were no Americans in there. Just locals. I went in because someone told me they sold sausages and beer and they did. I went to an outdoor cafe and had a great meal. By the way cokes are not cheap in Germany. Actually it cost about the same to buy a coke or a beer. In some places a coke cost more then beer. The correct spelling for bread in Germany is Brot and roll is brotchen.

Jun 6th, 2001, 07:42 PM
Gerry

Robbie:

There was another thread yesterday about how all the Germans in Munich seem to eat the sausage and throw the bun away. I thought I'd just put that in to see if I could wake you up. Figure you needed to catch up on some sleep after that trip.

Glad you had a good time and keep the reports comming.

Gerry

Jun 7th, 2001, 03:29 AM
Stacey

Robbie -

Did you get to spend any real time in Heidelberg? What did you think? Did you happen to notice the McDonald's in Freiburg in that gorgeous old building from the 13th Century?

Jun 7th, 2001, 05:52 AM
Robbie

Dear Bill

We stayed two days in Munich at the Forum Muenchen. Its located on Hochstrasse 3. We ate our breakfast at the hotel every morning and it was great. If you have never seen a German buffet breakfast you are in for a surprise. We were within walking distance of the Deutsches Museum. We walked back from the Hofbrauhaus to our hotel. It was a little bit of a trek, but we like to walk. There are outside cafes all over the place in downtown Munich. I would say take in the beautiful old buildings in the marienplatz and just walk in any direction down practically any street and you will find food. The locals like to dine outside. Most of the resturants have their menus posted on the window. We did not pay attention to the names on the places we ate at. When we got hungery we would just check out the menu of a few places and then decide on one and eat there. I think the fun is in exploring. We also stopped in the Hofbrauhaus and had a few beers. The glass steins of beer are huge and cost about 12.00 DM per stein. They serve food here but its a little on the noisey side. This is a tourist place and you will find few if any locals there. This guy started throwing beer coasters over his head and before you knew it the whole place was throwing them. Then they started throwing pretzels. This stopped pretty quickly and everyone just drank their beer and sang with the brass band. We met some nice people there who where from New Zealand and Australia.

Jun 7th, 2001, 06:04 AM
Robbie

Dear Gerry

I really did not pay attention to how the locals in Munich were eating their sausages. We did eat in a large market place in Hamburg for lunch and the local business men were eating their sausages with without bread or rolls. We were right next to a group of them. We really liked the bakeries in Germany and many times had lunch in the bakery. The selection of breads and rolls and pasteries were wonderfull. Most of the bakeries sell sandwhiches of various meats, cheeses and veggies. They were very good and reasonable in price.

Jun 7th, 2001, 06:51 AM
Robbie

Dear Dianne

We were in Berlin for two days. We stayed at the Queens on Guentzelstr. 14. The hotel was nothing to write home about, but it was ok. If you come out of the front of the hotel and turned left then turn left at the first street there was a Irish pub nearby that sold great food and drink. We visited a section of the wall that was left. It was a horrowing story to know that some people left for work one evening only to be walled off from their home the next morning. That wall was thrown up over night according to the local guide. We saw the Brandenburg Gate. You can only see the top of the gate. They have the rest covered with pictured construction material. They are working on it. We did walk down the Ku-damm (the major upscale shopping area in Berlin. It was nice. There were alot of places to eat and shop. We saw the bomb damaged Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church. We got into the new church which sets right beside it, but the lip stick tower was closed so we did not get in there. We did go to the Pergamon Museum and it was worth the visit. I wish I would have had more time to visit more of the museums on museum Island. If you go allow yourself time to really take in the museums. We took a side trip to Potsdam and visited Sanssouci Palace. We also saw Cecilienhof Palace where the Potsdam conference took place in 1945. You are able to see a few rooms in the Cecilienhof Palace (one of which is were the agreement was signed). Sanssouci Palace was nice. I guess if I had to do over again I would have skipped Cecilienhof and seen more of the museums. They are giving the East a face lift. All the buildings in the East were in a sad state of repair. You can still see some of them. It was interesting to find out that after the wall came down that those families who fled to the West were able to reclaim their old properties if they had sufficent proof they had owned it before. The local guide said it was a heart string pulling event from both sides of the story. Those who bought those homes during the communist regime had to scrimp and save to keep these structures together and liveable only to have them taken away after the wall came down. I did not get the whole story as to whether the people who had to give up those homes were compensated in any way my the government. We spent about 3 hours in the historic center of Freiburg and seen the Freiburg Cathedral which has both Romanesque and Gothic architecture incorporated in its building. It was very warm there. Our tour guide called it the Florida of Germany. He said alot of people retire there because of the warm weather. I don't feel we were there long enough to make a judgement on whether it would appeal to everyone or not.

Jun 7th, 2001, 07:38 AM
Dianne

Robbie,

I will also be on a tour when I visit Germany in the fall. It's Globus' 12 day German Highlights tour. The Pergamon museum is included and I think I will skip the Potsdam optional and see some more museums. I really want to see the famous Nefertiti sculpture in the Egyptian museum.

Were you on Globus' Grand Tour of Germany, by chance? It covers the exact same places you listed.

Jun 7th, 2001, 10:49 AM
Dianne

Oh, and do you remember if it was okay to take photos in the Pergamon or other museums in Germany?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO