Need some advice for Paris

Nov 24th, 2006, 07:02 PM
Original Poster

Need some advice for Paris

My 17 yr. old son, 25 yr. old son and daughter-in-law are coming with me to Paris and Rome for the holidays. We arrive in Paris at CDG around 10:00 am and leave at Orly around 5o pm. With so little time, I was thinking of hiring a shuttle to pick us (and our luggage) up at the airport, show us a little of the city and dropping us off at Orly. Any suggestions for shuttle or private tour services?

Then we return to Paris for Dec. 30 & 31. Any suggestions for New Years Eve in Paris?
Nov 25th, 2006, 04:31 AM
ira

Hi T,

>Any suggestions for shuttle or private tour services?

Try www.beeshuttle.com, www.paris-blue-airport-shuttle.fr and www.parishuttle.com

>Any suggestions for New Years Eve in Paris?<

You do have your hotel reservations, yes?

Nov 25th, 2006, 06:51 AM

Depending on what it was you wanted to see, another idea would be to take the Metro/RER from CDG to Chatelet/Les Halles. This would put you directly at the city center. There are a few hotels right in this area, and I bet one of them might let you 'check-in' your bags in their storage area, even though you aren't staying there - for free, or a small charge (I would call ahead to make sure - the Novatel Les Halles was a very nice hotel near this station that seemed like they would accommodate this).

From this station, you are in fairly short walking distance to Notre Dame, or hop back on the Metro to many other places quickly. When you're ready to leave, just get your bags and head back to the same train station to get to Orly.

Just a thought to consider if a private transfer ends up being too expensive.
Nov 25th, 2006, 08:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. And yes, we are staying at the Abbatial Saint Germain.
Nov 26th, 2006, 04:58 AM
ira

Hi T,

For restaurants near your hotel, try

Brasserie Lipp 151 Bld St.Germain

Restaurant Vagenende 142 Boulevard St. Germain (331) 43 26 68 18 Métro: Odéon Open 12 noon ‘til 1 a.m.

(One of my Lady Wife's favorites)

Nov 26th, 2006, 11:04 AM

Ira, I've never heard of restaurant Vagenende; can you tell a bit about it? Is it east of Boul' Mich?

Forgive if I'm highjacking this post but my question doesn't seem to warrant a post of its own. Merci!
Nov 26th, 2006, 11:25 AM

www.vagenende.fr
142, db St-Germain
Nov 26th, 2006, 08:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the recommendation Ira. I called and made New Year's Eve reservations at Restaurant Vagenende. They were very accommodating. We arrive at Paris around 10 a.m. and don't need to check in until after 4 p.m. I know that doesn't leave a lot of time, but too much to hang out at an airport. My younger son and I have been to Paris about almost two years ago. He and I really enjoyed our time. We had a week and it was not enough to see all of Paris. I only want to make one or two stops that day and did not want to spend a lot of time lugging luggage around.
Nov 27th, 2006, 04:41 AM
ira

You are welcome, T.

Hi grandmere

>Ira, I've never heard of restaurant Vagenende; can you tell a bit about it? Is it east of Boul' Mich?<

You can locate it and see pix at www.pagesjaunes.fr as well as at it's website.

It is very Belle Epoque.

You might want to be in the back room with the stained glass ceiling.

Nov 27th, 2006, 05:03 AM

Grandmere, I don't know if it was a bad night, but two of us ordered Vagenende's prix fixe dinner menus, and I hated my meal. The chicken I ordered consisted of the bony pieces without much meat on them. For myself, eating at Vagenende was unmemorable for the meal but the restaurant itself was pretty as it still has the Belle Epoque decor.
Nov 27th, 2006, 05:06 AM

That restaurant has been mentioned here before; it gets very poor food ratings from the Zagat guide..if that means anything to you.
Nov 27th, 2006, 05:44 AM

Sorry for butting in on this post also but does anyone have restaurant suggestion with good reviews for Christmas day near hotel Brighton.
Nov 27th, 2006, 03:01 PM

I've walked by this restaurant every trip to Paris and didn't realize what it was called or if it was considered to be good, etc. Merci!
Nov 27th, 2006, 03:48 PM

We've walked by Vagenede for the last 20 years and always had a laugh at the name...dirty minds! But we tried it a few weeks ago and were pleasantly surprised..the food, service,atmosphere and price were very good. My DH had the salmon and I had the daily special of lamb, nothing over the top but very tasty.!

Whatever you do ..skip Leon of Brussels..the worst mussels we've ever had ..anywhere!