Search

Need Some Advice

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29th, 2003, 02:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Some Advice

Hello, all...

I'm traveling with my niece (adult)to Ireland, London and Scotland in December (I know...brrrr). I've been several times to London, but what I am struggling with is this: What are the "must see" things in Ireland? Am I better off to secure lodging for the entire time in the center of the country and spoke out, or, alternatively, should we spend each night in a different area as we more or less make a circle? We'll be there Thurs-Sunday, and we'll jhave a car. I know, not much time.... I'm thinking a couple of must's are the Blarney Stone and Waterford. Thanks so much!
Old Oct 29th, 2003, 02:37 PM

mj,

For Ireland, are you flying into Dublin or Shannon? Also, is that a total of 3 nights in Ireland?

Overall, with only 3 or 4 nights, I'd stay pretty close to the point of entry/departure. In Winter, days are very short in Ireland. As for what to see, well it would depend to a great degree on what you most enjoy doing, but for me, Blarney is mostly a tourist thing but the gardens are nice. But, it's december, so that's out. Waterford is mostly geared to people who want to tour the crystal factory. But, those aren't knocks on either place, just a matter of different interests.

Old Oct 29th, 2003, 03:01 PM
Original Poster

Clifton:

I haven't made my flight arrangements yet, so I can fly into either place. As far as what to see, my niece and I are both into castles, outdoor things, architecture, and well, pubs. We really want to get some culture. She's never been abroad, so I want her to have a nice taste of Europe. I'm the one who wants to buy the crystal! I know Blarney is tourist-y, but could one really go all that way and not go there? Maybe so...thanks for the help!
Old Oct 29th, 2003, 04:53 PM

I know where you are coming from.... I went to Europe with my niece when she was 20 and I too, wanted her to get a real taste of waht it's like.
SO I do have to agree, that the Blarney Stone is a must ( very touristy) but I know my niece was thrilled to see it. There is a very large shopping area there where you could get your crystal. Then you could skip Waterford. I'd suggest flying into Shannon and bee-line it to Blarney then head back up to the Ring of Kerry, Dingle area for the rest of your stay. YOu don't have a lot of time, but this area is beautiful. Don't stay in Tralee. Try for Kenmare of Dingle.
Or a totally different idea is to forget the Blarney Castle and go north west from Shannon and see the Cliffs of MOher and then up to Galway. Galway is a great city.
Good luck with your plans ...have a great trip.
Old Nov 1st, 2003, 09:26 AM

Sorry mj, I hadn't recalled what your subject title was.

No, I have to agree that it's hard to bypass the sites you've always heard of. And I'll also confess that we felt compelled to visit Blarney and Waterford as well. One time only affairs for us though. We can say we did them now (not that anyone has asked!) but we'd have always wondered if we should have otherwise, right?

Just be aware that the days in December are very very short on daylight and that driving times are roughly 35mph, so spreading yourself out too far is going to use a fair pit of your daylight in driving. Both Blarney and Waterford are fairly far from one of the two international airports. If you're flying from the UK though, you may be able to fly into Cork using one of the economy airlines to save yourself time.

If you do decide to stay near one of the two main airports, Shannon or Dublin, your choices are many.

In/Near Dublin:
You won't need the car in Dublin. No car in Dublin, trust me. Busy traffic jammed streets - much like a mini London in that respect. In town there's the Gaol, Guinness Brewery, Trinity College with the Book of Kells, Temple Bar for pubs. Outside Dublin, but nearby are the Wicklow Mountains with the Glendalough site to the south; Newgrange tombs, Trim, Hill of Tara and Malahide Castle to the north.

Around Shannon:
Right in the area of Shannon is Bunratty Castle, folk park and banquet.
To the north is the Burren area and the Cliffs of Moher.
South is either the Dingle Pennisula or the area of Killarney with it's gorgeous national park, containing the Lakes of Killarney.

So, you have quite a lot of options, most at least as impressive as the famous (infamous?) sites, even if you choose not to forge off towards the south-central and south-east of the country. Certainly, I haven't come close to scratching the surface of beautiful Ireland.

I'm really an unabashed fan of the country, if you couldn't tell, but far from an expert. I'm going to suggest too that you try again with your post, with perhaps a more descriptive title or even go so far as to segment your questions by country? Unfortunately, it's a little hard to tell when scrolling down the list on the left what you're question is, so many won't open it. The Ireland experts have probably missed this one, and they are usually very helpful. Maybe something like - "Suggestions for three days in Ireland in December"? That should reel them in.

Have fun!
Old Nov 4th, 2003, 08:34 AM

mj,

If you're flying in from Europe, you can fly into one of Ireland's smaller airports, (Galway, Kerry, Cork, etc.). I flew into Cork and took a cab (about 25euros) to Kinsale for a long weekend while in London. You may want to look into something like that and avoid Dublin and Shannon Airport altogether.

-eyps
Old Nov 4th, 2003, 04:54 PM

I agree with Clifton. You should not travel far. You could easily fill up your time in and around Dublin or in the Shannon area.

Yes the days are short and the nights are long so being near a city with enough going on at night would be a good idea. Near Shannon you would have Galway and even Ennis. Obviously Dublin in the east.

Clifton's suggestions for Dublin are great. The Bunratty Banquet is touristy but pretty enjoyable. There are a hist of sites to see in the area. Many of them might not be open in December.

Blarney is not worth the trip with that little time and in fact, is the biggest tourist trap in Ireland. There are more interesting castles near Shannon Airport. That is a long drive to kiss a dirty rock.

You can buy Waterford anywhere but many consider Waterford not to be the best crystal in Ireland. Look at Galway and Kinsale Crystal. Tipperary is nice and if you are in Dingle, they have a nice crystal shop also.

My suggestion would be County Clare and around Galway city for such a short stay. Both Waterford and Blarney are too far and not worth the trouble with such short days. Have fun!

Bill