Ireland / England & Scotland July 2003

Nov 5th, 2002, 03:15 PM
Carolyn

Ireland / England & Scotland July 2003

My husband & I are planning a trip for July 2003 (due to a wedding in scotland) - I already have the Scotland (Edinburgh area) and England (London with 1-2 day trips) already settled, but just have added 5 days before going to Scotland (tenatively- arrive in London & take commuter flight to Ireland, then flight to Edingburgh, down to London & leave from London back to California) We are wondering what would be the Must See things in Ireland & is 5 days good for a 1st time visit? Also if you have B&B or small hotel recomendations for the area we would be glad for the input. Thanks, Carolyn

Nov 5th, 2002, 05:05 PM
bill

Carolyn:

The must see things in Ireland is a pretty broad question. I don't know if you're interested in city or countryside. Based on what you've said, my feeling is that you'll see plenty of city and countryside would be a good thing to see. This is Ireland's strong suit.

You might want to fly into Shannon instead of Dublin. You can catch Ryanair for almost nothing, but unfortunately from Stansted in London to Shannon, Dublin, Derry and I think even Knock. Aer Lingus will fly you into Dublin, Cork and Shannon from LHR or
LGW. Cost difference is negligible.

Most will suggest you see the Cliffs of Moher, Dingle, the Connemara and perhaps the Ring of Kerry which are all in the relatively immediate area of Shannon (given you have 5 days). These are all quite nice, but you will be there at the height of tourist season. These are the major destinations on that side of Ireland.

If you could fly into Derry, Northern Ireland is beautiful and would be much less crowded that time of year. You could see Donegal and NI easily from Derry. If you could fly into Knock, you would have similar access to a more remote and less crowded and still spectacular part of Ireland.

If you flew into Dublin, with only five days, my choice would probably be to head north up the Antrim Coast in NI. Beautiful area again. You could go south and see towns like Kilkenny and the Rock of Cashel, but these will be more crowded.

Some may suggest five days in Dublin. That would not be my choice knowing you will be spending all that time in Edinburgh and London.

Pick up a nice guide book and get an idea of what you want to see and then try back.

Bill

Nov 5th, 2002, 06:10 PM
Carolyn

Thanks Bill, I forgot to be more detailed. We have narrowed it down to somewhere between Shannon/Limerick area to Cork/Barney area. My husband would like to see the Murphy's Brewery & I would like to see Blarney castle or any other one (Limerick area?) otherwise it would be countryside & good food. Does anyone have recommendations for B&B's in the two areas? Thanks

Nov 5th, 2002, 07:00 PM
Joelle

A group of us flew into Shannon and enjoyed Ross Castle, near Killarney, largely due to the great setting and explanatory tour. That said, in July it probably is a mad house around there, not to mention at Blarney Castle. A HIGHLY recommended side jaunt on the way from Limerick to Killarney (if you like ruins) is to the Adare Manor Golf course in Adare, which has the ruins of a really nice abbey INSIDE the course.

A quite touristy but fun thing to do around Limerick is the Bunratty Folk Park. Completely contrived but amusing. We actually spent most of our time around Cashel, which isn't terribly far from Cork and is a nice little town. We stayed at Rockville House, which sits directly below the Rock of Cashel at the bottom of the hill. It was a nice, basic B&B with a nice proprietor named Patrick, of course.

Nov 5th, 2002, 08:12 PM
bill

Carolyn:

If your husband has an interest in beer brewing, he may enjoy the Biddy Early brewery between Ennis and Lahinch (very close to Shannon). It's a brew pub that is said to brew superb beers. I will personally test them all in May . You would pass it on the way to the Cliffs of Moher. I don't know anything about the Murphy's Brewery in Cork, but I do know that people always seem to get lost there driving. I've stayed out of Cork for the most part.

I will say that you have chosen among the most tourist infected areas of the country. There is a reason of course, they are nice to visit. While in Co Cork though, you may want to try the SW of the county if you want to try to get away from it all. Beara, Sheepshead and Mizen Peninsulas are much less populated and are beautiful. But that's our secret, OK?

Blarney and Bunratty castles are likely to be mobbed at that time of year and you may need to bring lunch to stand in line to wait and kiss the Blarney stone. I haven't done that, and I wear that as a badge of honor.

Keep us up to date on your planning and maybe we can all help more. I have a few favorite B&B's in some of the areas, and you should book them all in advance at that time of year.

Bill

Nov 6th, 2002, 09:41 AM
l

Hi Bill...agree with "kiss the blarney stone. I haven't done that, and wear that as a badge of honor." My sentiments exactly, though I call it my "claim to fame". Who needs the gift of eloquence when you are of Irish descent? Scary! Helen

Nov 7th, 2002, 09:31 AM
bill

Helen:

Agreed!

Search this Thread