Need Restaurant Recommendation-Venice near St. Marks

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27th, 2003, 10:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are arranging a group dinner for around 8 people and would like an Outdoor restaurant, not too pricey with a decent wine list, near by St. Marks Square (Danieli Hotel).

Two restaurants have been mentioned: Oliva Nera and Da Rafaelle. Does anyone have opinions on either of these two restaurants or can you recommend another please? Thanks!
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 10:04 AM

Hi
Da Raffaele is mentioned very often here, if you do a search on it you will find many positive comments, including mine. In fact,scroll down on the left side and you will find postings on it today, under headings about Venice restaurants.

It has good food, pleasant service, lovely outdoor setting alongside a small canal, less than 10 minute walk to the Piazza.
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 10:06 AM
ira

Hi

Search "Da Rafaelle". You will find lots of good reviews and one or two lukewarm.
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 11:25 AM
DRJ

I ate at Olivo Nero a couple of years ago. It is not near San Marco, has no outdoor dining area (that I recall) and the food was ok.
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 12:59 PM

Da Rafaelle has lovely atmosphere. You will want to sit by the canal and need to reserve those tables in advance. The food is a little pricey. Our favorite restaurant in Venice was San Travaso in the Dorsudoro section. It has no outside dining but has a large no smoking room (sit downstairs). We actually took a picture of the fish soup because it was so chock full of shellfish & filets. We ate at San Travaso twice (very reasonable & the best food) but were glad we went to Da Rafaelle too. More details in my trip report if you care to read it.
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 02:22 PM

I have eaten at both of these restaurants and enjoyed them both. You mention that you will be part of a group so I caution you about Oliva Nera. This has a very limited menu and I wouldn't suggest eating there unless everyone in your party is a fish eater. There really isn't much more to chose from though the food quality was fine. I don't believe there is outdoor seating though.

DaRafaelle is also a nice choice with a larger more varied menu (also has good fish plates). The last time I was there they had local strolling musicians which was a nice touch. Both are similar in price. My vote would go to Da Rafaelle for both food and ambiance. It is nicely located on a quieter canal. Bewarned that unless you go to a pizzeria most dinner prices will seem pricey to those visiting from the states. Eating in Venice can be a bit challenging if you're on a tight budget.
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 03:55 PM

We ate at Oliva Nera last September for our anniversary and I was somewhat disappointed. It is small but not very romantic. The tables were so close together that I felt like we were actually part of another family. We could not carry on a conversation. By all means if they have since added outdoor dining (I wasn't aware of this) this is where you'll want to dine. If we'd been able to dine outside I would probably have come away with a different opinion. I find indoor restaurants in Italy to be quite noisy and smokey (normally smoke and noise don't bother me either) I prefer to dine alfresco and people watch. As another poster mentioned this is a restaurant ONLY for fish lovers as the menu is very limited. I'm not familiar with Da Rafaelle but have heard it mentioned on the Travel Channel (Eyewitness Venice)with good reviews.

Another place we enjoyed was called Trattoria San Toma (I believe this is the name). I loved their pizza (and a nice bottle of wine). We had a better meal there for 1/2 the price of what we paid at Oliva Nera.
Old Aug 28th, 2003, 06:48 AM

Trattoria San Toma is one of my inexpensive favorities as well, but you'd have to take a vaporetto from the San Marco area They do have outdoor seating, menu ranges from pizza to full meals. Good desserts too, can't recall much about the wine list.
Old Aug 28th, 2003, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the responses. Please keep those recommendations coming in.

Several of you mentioned that Oliva Nera is really just for fish lovers. I know that all the restaurants in Venice offer fish as it is a popular entree but I'm concerned if this is the only entree offered. Appreciate anyone who can elaborate...

We may have even more than 8 people so an outdoor location where we can converse is also important. Does anyone know the menu options at Da Rafaelle? Also, other recommendations are sure appreciated! Thanks!
Old Aug 28th, 2003, 02:41 PM

petlover, the area around San Marco is the most expensive & most touristy. You might be better off price wise a bit off the beaten track. Ristorante da Gianni is in Dorsudoro near the Zattere vaparetto stop. It's also walkable from San Marco. It's just a pizza/pasta place but the food is good & it's on the Giudecca Canal.

If price were no object, the terrace rest. at the Europa Regina is supposed to be wonderful.

As to the seafood issue, most places have meat dishes as well. Venice is also supposedly noted for it's liver (fegato).