BEST RESTAURANTS IN VENICE

Feb 5th, 2009, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

BEST RESTAURANTS IN VENICE

We need a very fantastic place to celebrate a 50th birthday on Venice Island please... not sure where we are staying, but dinner has to be very very special... if anyone can help please?
Feb 5th, 2009, 12:45 PM

The most commonly cited "special places" are the roof deck of the Danieli, the restaurant at Cipriani. I like the restaurant at Europa and Regina with views of the Salute church across the Grand Canal. For food (but a much more casual atmosphere) I really like Corte Sconda. The restaurant at the Monaco and Grand is also lovely, especially the floating deck.
Feb 5th, 2009, 12:50 PM

These questions are always so difficult to answer. It is hard to figure out what would be your "best" restaurant.

But since you asked I'll give you some choices. Frankly there are several places that are wonderful. Some of them are holes in the wall places. some have great ambiance or views and ok food.

But anyway, there are only two Michelin starred restaurants in Venice and those are only one stars. They are the Met in the Hotel Metropole in San Marco and Ristorante Osteria da Fiore in San Polo. Of the two, I would suggest da Fiore as probably being more typically Venetian.

http://www.dafiore.net/

http://www.hotelmetropole.com/eng/me...ant_venice.htm

I also think that Vini da Gigio would be a good choice as well. Not as expensive, small family run spot in Canaregio with excellent food.

http://www.vinidagigio.com/index_eng.html

Another option would be alle Testiere in Castello. Small spot inovative food, a bit pricy. I have not been there in about three years, but we did enjoy it when we had dinner there.
Feb 5th, 2009, 12:51 PM

No budget restriction at all? €500 per head e.g.?
Feb 5th, 2009, 12:54 PM
MTW

Our favorite was Al Covo. It's co-owned by a woman from Texas, who made it around to all the tables the night we were there. I commented on how much I enjoyed the fresh tomatoes to the waiter, and next thing I knew, a bowl full of tomatoes, cucumbers and onions arrived at our table. The food and atmosphere was excellent.
Feb 5th, 2009, 01:55 PM

Don't know how long you're staying in Venice, but on our last visit I used a book called, "Chow Venice" to help pick restaurants and really thought it was spot on. It gave good descriptions and great directions on finding some wonderful out of the way places that we really enjoyed. Take a look at it if you get the chance.
Feb 5th, 2009, 05:07 PM

We also ate at Al Covo and enjoyed the food very much. That being said, I did not feel like I was in Venice so much as I did when eating other places. I do recommend the bar at the Danieli by daylight so you can order a $10 Negroni and get knockout views!
Feb 8th, 2009, 04:47 PM
Original Poster

We will be styaing at the Luna Baglioni and there will be no budget restrictions for dinner... this one is THE special one... thanks so much for all your replies, it is appreciated.