Best off the Beaten Path Restaurants in Venice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13th, 2005, 06:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going for 20th anniversary in August . . . Always feel foolish when I found I've walked into a tourist trap, but even worse walking out . . . Help me avoid this. What are the best moderately priced, authentic restaurants in Venice that you've been to? Any thoughts welcome. Thank you in advance.
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 06:10 PM

Try Anzolo Raffaele (not sure of spelling) on the campo of the same name at the edge of Dorsoduro.
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 06:32 PM

I am surprised that my favorite restaurant in Venice is not mentioned here more, but I love Fiaschetteria Toscana, in Canareggio. I don't know about it being off the beaten path, but it is incredible. I had teeny, tiny soft shell crabs there, so wonderful. Whole roasted fish is a treat - whatever is best that day; let the waiter decide. A very professional level of service as well. Oh, and don't worry, despite the name, the food has nothing to do with Tuscany!

I also love La Zucca. I guess it has a rep for being heavy into the vegetables, but there are wonderful meat and pasta dishes there as well. And some damn fine desserts - some of the best I had in Italy, but just fresh and simple and lovely. La Zucca is in Santa Croce. It is a great place for a relaxing lunch.

Some people may say it is touristy, but I say not - Ai 4 Feri was one of my favorite meals in Venice. I had the best plate of spaghetti alle vongole (clams) ever there, with a couple of big glasses of local white wine from the Veneto - damn, that was good eating. I had lunch there as well and it was all locals eating with me. Paper tablecloths, very causal, but the tiny kitchen turns out some great food.

Corte Sconta in Castello is really out of the way, and simply sublime - perfect seafood.

Enjoy!
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 02:55 AM

Our favorite restaurant in Venice was Il Refollo - right in the same Campo as La Zucca (San Giacomo dell Orio) (around the other side of the Campo behind the church). Great food, nice friendly waitstaff, very reasonable, and best of all a very large outdoor patio setting right on a small canal by the church. It was magical at night listening to the bells of the campaniles ring while we ate, candles flickering, gondolas and boats going by in the canal beside us.... They also make a great Sgroppino. Onwers are the same as the pricey restaurant Di Fore (?sp).

We also like La Zucca - food great there too - different - and very reasonable. We were a little disappointed by the outdoor seating, as only a few tables, and quite cramped, overlooking a hardware store. Inside is very charming though and staff very friendly.
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 03:51 AM

Hi

The best meal we had in Venice was at a small place called Trattoria Antica Bessetta. This little restaurant is located in an alley in San Polo and we had a bit of trouble finding it when we were going there. But the food was great. I have posted a small review of the place on my homepage http://gardkarlsen.com You will also find some pictures of the food

Regards
Gard
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 05:55 AM
DRJ

I've eaten a couple of times at Avogoria, an ultramodern interior with a kitchen run by a Pugliese chef.

Its in Dorsoduro. When walking from the Accademia toward Campo Santa Margharita make an immediate left after going under the sottopassagio at Campo San Barnaba. Follow this calle until you go over a bridge. Avogoria will be a hundred or so paces and on your left. If you walk another hundred paces you will be at Anzolo Raffaele, BTW.