Need Restaurant for Birthday in Barcelona

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10th, 2004, 05:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be in Barcelona for my birthday. We would like to have dinner at a special restaurant to celebrate. We would like a restaurant that specializes in the local cuisine (but not seafood). It can be fancy or not fancy - it should just be special. Thanks!
Old Jan 13th, 2004, 01:27 PM

My husband and I had a wonderful dinner at La Dama when we were on our honeymoon last spring. It's in an exquisite Art Nouveau building, very romantic and cozy. The food was excellent, service was very friendly and the place felt quite elegant. It is fairly expensive but we found it very reasonable for the quality. It is Michelin-starred.
Old Jan 13th, 2004, 03:36 PM

Something local but not seafood...

The not-so-fancy options:

1. No me quite pa, on Maria Cubi. It is always a fun place. Kinda looks like a bar, only it isn't. The food may appear simple, but is perfectly prepared.

2. La Fonda, on Escudellers in the Gothic Quarter. Great food (mostly Catalan), good service, very nice setting for the price. The only downside is that they don't take reservations...be there at 8:30

3. Citrus, on Passeig de Gracia (does it still exist? I'm not sure...) It used to be a great place. Ask for the tables looking at Passeig de Gracia.

4. Cerveseria Catalana, on Mallorca and Rambla Catalunya. The best montaditos anywhere in the world... one of them in particular is truly spectacular: they take a date, fill it with cheese, wrap it in bacon, and then bread it and fry it... amazing. It is not a relaxed place, but more like a tapas bar. However (as anywhere in Spain), no one will bring you the check unless you ask for it. Try to go there at some point

Old Jan 13th, 2004, 04:04 PM

barbara423,
For fun, bustling and informal, ditto to all that Jean Valjean has mentioned (yes, Citrus is still alive and well), particularly the always lively "Cerveseria Catalana" (a truly great tip that Jean gave me here).

For higher end, more "gastronomic" (about 50 euros p.p with wine), consider
these, both in the Eixample district:

"Casa Calvet" in a Gaudi designed Moderniste (catalan Art Nouveau) building
on Casp 48
www.casacalvet.es

"Maria Cristina", run expertly by a husband and wife team with lovely food presented beautifully. On Provenca 271 next to Gaudi's La Pedrera.

Another Michelin starred, very high-end but absolutely top quality gourmet restaurant, like "Dama" but a taxi ride away would be
"Can Gaig" , which always receives the highest rating from Gourmetour, 9/10, and is often praised on Chowhound and here on the Forum.
Elegant and impeccable service.
On Passeig Maragall 402

http://www.forbes.com/2001/08/23/bar...nts_print.html

http://travel.guardian.co.uk/cities/...739130,00.html

(I eliminated "Set Portes", "Botafumeiro" and "Agua" because their menus are heavy on seafood)
Old Jan 13th, 2004, 04:11 PM

Oh, I definitely 2nd the nomination for Casa Calvert. Make sure they let you see the elevator before you leave.
Old Jan 16th, 2004, 09:11 AM

Maribel,

Nice to hear that Citrus is still alive... I really enjoyed sitting on those tables overlooking Passeig de Gracia...

By any chance, have you been to this place called Bene Agut? It is in Sarria, a little out of the way (very near Tres Torres FGC). We used to go there frequently for their Italian food... really good. They made this thing called Spaghetti Nero, with Sepia and sepia ink... amazingly delicious.
Old Jan 16th, 2004, 01:29 PM

Oops... it is not Bene Agut... it is Bene Assai...