Dining in Barcelona

Search

Dining in Barcelona

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2007, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dining in Barcelona

I have looked for a few placed I would like to try out when sightseeing Barcelona:
1) for tapas: Txikiteo (Carrer de Josep Anselm Clave #7)
2) for a romantic casual dinner: La Crema Canela off Placa Reial
3) for seafood: Cal Pep and Can Majo in Barceloneta
4) if we decide to splurge - Casa Calvet in Eixample. How expensive is the "expensive category"? we are thinking 120 euro for dinner for 2 with tip.
Please, share.
Thanks for your time.
Agnes
Old May 8th, 2007, 07:43 AM
Original Poster

Anybody?
Old May 8th, 2007, 07:49 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi, Agnes,

intrigued by the thought of a restaurant in a gaudi building, i googled the casa calvet, and eventually found a review on Frommers which gives E47 as price estimate. so I don't think you are far off. THey also have a tasting menu.

regards, ann
Old May 8th, 2007, 08:17 AM

We enjoyed La Crema Canela. I wouldn't say that it was overly romantic but it had a nice, quiet (but busy) cafe atmosphere and good food. It would fit what you are looking for. IMO, it is the best choice of restaurants off the Placa Reial.
We also enjoyed Taller de Tapas in La Ribera.
Old May 8th, 2007, 08:38 AM

You can of course get a delicious dinner in Barcelona for 120e for 2 people, but be aware that you will most likely pay a lot more for the most talked about places -- over 175 and beyond. I have consistently found that guidebooks underestimate the costs of eating, once you factor in wine, dessert, coffee, taxes, and ordering what you want instead of ordering the cheapest item on the menu.

Since you added "please share," I'll share that in my experience of traveling, "splurge" meals are seldom worth the effect it can produce on your stomach to drop several hundred dollars on a single meal. And often the most famous places are not relaxing venues, tourists are not always treated well, and sometimes the food is not all that it is cracked up to be.

If you are mainly going to Barcelona to enjoy the art and culture, join the locals in eating cheaply (and quite well). If you want a special location or an international chef, try lunch instead of dinner to hold the line on costs.
Old May 8th, 2007, 08:50 AM

Of the restaurants on the list, the only one we tried was Can Majo. It was very good and made for a special evening. However, I considered it a splurge. We shared a few courses. Here's what we ordered:

1. One order of tomato bread
2. Seafood starter
3. Fried shaved artichoke starter
4. one bottle house wine
5. 3 soft drinks
6. one paella for two
7. one seafood stew that two people shared
8. one scallop entree
9. two desserts

So basically, three starters, three entrees, 5 drinks and 2 desserts. It was on our Visa bill last month and ended up being $220. That averages $44 per person, but we really ordered what three adults would have ordered,which would bring it to $73 per person.

Old May 8th, 2007, 10:56 AM
Original Poster

Thank you!
I appreciate your input - restaurants are not my priority, but I do enjoy good food, and I enjoy what locals eat...
Agnes