Reload this Page >

Need nice restaurants in Amsterdam

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2002, 09:55 AM
Rachel

My husband and I are going to be in Amsterdam next weekend (May 31 - June 4). We are celebrating our 3rd wedding anniversary and would like to have a nice dinner somewhere. Does anyone have any recommendations? We are looking for somewhere nice - but we don't want to get too dressed up if we don't have to. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.<BR>Thanks!

Old May 23rd, 2002, 10:07 AM
francesca

Kantijl & de Tijger on Spuistraat 291-293, 1012 VS Amsterdam, tel: 020-620.09.94 is a very well-regarded Indonesian restaurant with a delicious and unforgettable rijstaffel selection. The place is very popular and busy, with sort of sophisticated-casual ambience. We didn't dress up particularly, but looked decent and it was fine...It was our best meal in a week of great restaurants.

Old May 23rd, 2002, 10:19 AM
Tracy

Hey Rachel -<BR><BR>I know you'll find something special on<BR><BR>http://www.specialbite.com<BR><BR> . . . just click 'Favorites' and happy researching.<BR><BR>And congratulations!<BR>= )

Old May 23rd, 2002, 10:32 AM
Sjoerd

If you like Asian food, go to L'Indochine, Beulingstraat 9, phone 6275755. Very good Vietnamese / SE Asian food. Reservations necessary. <BR>For European food, go to Zomers, Prinsengracht 411, tel. 6383398.<BR>Best Japanese is in the Okura Hotel, Ferdinand Bolstraat. <BR>To be honest, I don't like Kantjil & De Tijger much. Too crowded, bad service and average food.

Old May 23rd, 2002, 11:50 AM
Dara

I concur with Sjoerd (and she lives there! =)). Kantjil & De Tijger is highly overrated. Acceptable, but not particularly authentic and very impersonal. There are a number of quite good Indonesian restaurants all over Amsterdam; any hotel concierge can give you a great recommendation. <BR><BR>I also recommend specialbite.com.

Old May 23rd, 2002, 12:00 PM
s.fowler

I'm with the critics of Kantjil De Tijger. It is a big "eatery" with little atmosphere. On the othbner hand L'Indochine is beautiful -- a delight in decor food and service. Here is their website: http://indochine.nl/index.html<BR><BR>Here are my other recommendations on Virtual Tourist: http://www.virtualtourist.com/m/.137.../?s=H&TID=2#go

Old May 23rd, 2002, 12:29 PM
kmarie

We enjoyed Brasserie Bark (www.bark.nl), located just a block from the Concertgebouw, not far from the art museums. Specials included oysters and fish main dishes, in addition to an interesting regular menu. Many folks were headed for the evening's concert; waitstaff was professional and very accomodating with our time considerations.

Old May 23rd, 2002, 12:42 PM
Karen

I also enjoyed Brasserie Bark during a March visit to Amsterdam. I had tickets to a concert and the food, atmosphere, and attentive service made the evening memorable. The fish was excellent, and there was a nice selection of wines/beers.<BR><BR>Karen

Old May 23rd, 2002, 01:37 PM
Supper Club

Does The Supper Club count in this category? Seriously curious as I will be there in June and have heard of this club but can't quite picture what it's all about.

Old May 23rd, 2002, 09:47 PM
Sjoerd

Dara: I am a "he".<BR>The Supperclub is more the experience than the food. The food isn't bad and at times even good, but people go there for the "lounging" experience more than for the food. <BR>

Old May 24th, 2002, 12:56 AM
Freda

<BR>Dear Rachel,<BR><BR>Garlic Queen at Reguliersdwarstraat 27 is superb, our favourite. Although all the dishes are cooked with garlic, you can have it omitted if you want. The food, service and decor are all first class, and you don't need to get dressed up. I'd advise you to book ahead though as it's very popular.<BR><BR>I also like Best Thai at Elandsgracht 36. Banana Rama at Westerstraat 91 does lovely Philippino food.<BR><BR>Poco Loco at Nieuwmarkt 24 serves great Cajun and Mexican food.<BR><BR>All of these restaurants have relaxed, informal atmospheres, and exceptionally nice waiting staff.<BR><BR>Have a great time in Amsterdam, and congratulations on your third wedding anniversary. Amsterdam is just right for that cosy, romantic feel. I recommend a night time canal boat cruise after your special meal.

Old May 24th, 2002, 03:43 AM
Rachel

WOW - thank you all so much for all of the great suggestions!! I went onto specialbite.com and found Segugio - an italian restaurant that looked good. I made a reservation and we are very excited! (I am a very picky eater and figured Italian would be safest). I have already written down all of the names and addresses of your personal recommendations to bring with us to maybe try if we like the menu. Thanks again - I'm really looking forward to our trip!

Old May 24th, 2002, 09:02 AM
David

Hi, Rachel!<BR><BR>If you like Italian food, I have a wonderful restaurant for you. It's called A Tavola, and it's on Kadijksplein, near the Scheepvartmuseum. It's a gem of a place. I can't recommend it highly enough. I know it is closed on Sundays, if that is of any help.<BR><BR>Another very romantic Italian restaurant is in the Jordaan on 2e Egelantiersdwarsstraat. It is in a lovely area of the city. It's called the Hostaria, and we found everything was great there. There is a lot of attention to detail in the food and surroundings. I am sure you and your husband would enjoy either of these restaurants. AND you don't have to get dressed up AT ALL for Amsterdam's restaurants, which we really appreciate too!

Old May 24th, 2002, 09:11 AM
Grasshopper

D'vijff Vlieghen, which translates to 5 Flies. You will find it on Fodor's Rants and Raves. Very charming canal house with great food and excellent service. Amsterdam is full of wonderful restaurants of every possible national origin but it's hard to find real "Dutch food" (that you might want to eat). This is the place.

Old May 24th, 2002, 01:18 PM
benjy

Just returned yesterday from a week in Amsterdam. Returned to one of our favorites,Lulu's on Runstraat....make reservations. Great food, wine and good value. Its in the De Negen Straatjes (nine little streets) area between canals. Also loved Best Thai. Enjoy!

Old May 25th, 2002, 04:02 PM
Stuart McGuire

<BR>ttt

Old May 26th, 2002, 03:19 AM
Red Lion

Dear Rachel,<BR><BR>I agree with a previous poster that you'll get good, authentic Dutch food at D'Vijff Vlieghen. What's more the ingredients are often organically grown. The service is excellent and the setting, in five sixteenth century canal houses, is to die for.<BR><BR>If you want a cheaper, and equally good, Dutch restaurant, you can't go wrong at De Roode Leeuw an Damrak. The service may not be quite up to the excellence of D'Vijff Vlieghen, nor the setting, but the decor is lovely and the food, I think, has the edge. Stick to the traditional Dutch dishes.<BR><BR>Both of these restaurants would be ideal for a romantic special occasion. Enjoy every minute of your trip; it is a fantastic city.

Old May 26th, 2002, 08:27 AM
Topmeister

topping

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 08:55 AM
Elizabeth

Guess the celebrants are almost on their way home--but for any other follower of this thread--I love da Tavola; was taken there first by someone who's part of the entertainment world of Holland, and kind of hip--it was his favorite place and the food was actual Italian (vs Dutchified Italian, which is ok too but maybe not what you're used to).