Need More than Barcelona

Old May 10th, 2006, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need More than Barcelona

I am a novice traveler taking a 5 day trip to Barcelona as part of a group and will have 3 days after the trip to go anywhere on my own. I could go anywhere within a 4-5 hr. train ride or short flight. We'd actually like to go to France, but aren't sure where to go. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Old May 10th, 2006, 06:56 PM

When are you going to Barcelona?
Old May 10th, 2006, 07:27 PM

Is this you going solo or are you with someone?

When you say three days do you mean that the tour ends on (for example) Monday and you leave on Wednesday, or that it ends on Monday and you have until Thursday or Friday?

If you want to go to France, you will need to fly, as getting as far as, say, Toulouse or Nice will take you longer than you have specified. I recommend either location, though I prefer the smaller places near Nice.

Were I you, I would go to the Balearic Islands (Mallorca or Menorca, depending on how much the flights or boats cost) and chill out, enjoying nightlife and the beaches.

Really, though, we need more information.
Old May 11th, 2006, 07:26 AM
Original Poster

Sorry for the lack of information.

Going in late January/early February with 5 people. 2 parents in 50s and 3 kids in late 20s/early 30s.

The group portion ends on Thursday, and we aren't planning to come back til Sunday.

Hope this can help with the suggestions.

Thanks!

BTW...how long of a trip is it to Paris?
Old May 11th, 2006, 07:34 AM

You can fly to Paris from BCN on easyjet or from nearby Girona on Ryanair....don't even THINK of trying to get there by rail with your limited timeframe.

Cheap flights BCN to Madrid take 1 hr and 5 minutes.
Old May 11th, 2006, 07:35 AM

Madrid would work well. Madrid is small so 3 days in enough to see the major sights.
Old May 11th, 2006, 01:19 PM

What is it that you want to see? If you are into cities, Madrid is a great choice. I like Barcelona more, but admit that Madrid has its "encantos." However, if you want to just take it easy and hang out, surrounding areas of Barcelona are beautiful. That time of year is not particularly hospitable to visitors anywhere no the peninsula, but heading down to Valencia would be a nice trip. You get city and a fun culture.
Old May 11th, 2006, 03:13 PM

i am not sure if you are on your own or not, but this small fishing village over french border might interest you.

www.collioure.com

then maybe to carcassonne?

www.carcassonne.org

hopefully you will get some more suggestions for france, if that is what you want to do. however, the time of year might dictate where you would be most likely to have a nicer climate.
Old May 11th, 2006, 03:30 PM

Take the train north and go see Montpellier! I was surprised to fall in love with the city while "passing through" recently - might be able to see both Montpellier and Carcassone in that time frame.

Alternatively, you could see Sevilla (which I also fell in love with) if you flew or took the overnight train.
Old May 11th, 2006, 10:37 PM

cheap flights to sevilla,granada, lisbon, paris, brussels, etc.

www.vueling.com
Old May 12th, 2006, 02:10 AM

Last spring on our honeymoon, my husband and I rented a car in Barcelona and drove north up the coast to Cadaqués for a few days. You're very close to the French border, and could easily visit France on a day trip. We stayed at the Hotel Rocamar and loved it. While a lot of the Spanish coast north of Barcelona is my idea of tourist hell (concrete monstrosities on the beach), the area around Cadaqués is lovely. Girona (about an hour's drive inland) is also a very interesting town to visit.

If you have your heart set on France, I think you can take the train from Barcelona to Perpignan.