Need laundromat in the Plaka

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20th, 2007, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Athens locals! Need your expertise! My husband and I will be in Athens for 3 days in September, staying in the Plaka. Is there a laundromat in the area? I'd rather not use the hotel laundry service as they're very expensive. Thank you
Old Aug 20th, 2007, 09:05 AM

I've never been able to find one... I usually find them in the islands before I go to Athens. Here's a thought; go to a helpful neighborhood shop and ask (not a travel agent, yet a shop that speaks good englilsh because they deal with a lot of tourists). I would bet that if there is one, it's on the fringe of plaka or outside because Plaka rents must be too high for a lo-revenue business like that.
Old Aug 20th, 2007, 09:41 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, traverlerjan. We'll also be staying on the islands and will be in Satorini for 3 full days before going to Athens. If you know of a laundromate in Santorini that would be perfect. I just thought Athens would have more laundries than the islands. Go figure! Thanks so much for your help!
Old Aug 20th, 2007, 10:43 AM

Sure. Stand in fira town square (actually a tiny oblong, right?)facing downhill on left. Go down to next cross-street... landmark is a darling fruit-stand food shop. Turn to your left. About 100 feet, on your left, up a few steps is a laundromat.

While you're at it the fruit/veg stand has SUPER fruits, tomatoes, olives, snacks of all kinds at Looow prices.
Old Aug 20th, 2007, 10:52 AM

Jan, is the laundry in Fira self-service or dropoff?
Old Aug 20th, 2007, 03:07 PM

Hi njlady

Here are two laundromats. Both are in the Omonia area which isn't too far from Plaka.

I've not used them but found their details in one of the (too) many Athens guidebooks I have here:-

Laundry Self Service
Psaron 9, Omonia

Sun Laundry
Kolokinthous 41, Omonia

Bill
Old Aug 20th, 2007, 04:01 PM

Answer to Brotherlee --- The Fira laundromat I think is both... or, at least the laundry is done there on the premises in standard washers and dryers and you can stand there and insist on things like COLD WATER WASH and LOW HEAT DRYING PLEASE,

Unlike experiences I have had in other islands where your laundry is farmed out to old ladies in black dresses who pound your clothes on rocks and hang them up by the ocean to benefit from the salt spray. I would show you these clothes but I can't -- because I threw them away after trying them on. .
Old Aug 20th, 2007, 05:23 PM

Yes, there is a laundromat very close to the Plaka, and no! I didn't keep the name or address. We actually dared to ask the concierge at The Grande Bretagne, and for two years in a row, we've used it with great success. I will look through my files to see if by any chance I've got the name. SO sorry!
Old Aug 20th, 2007, 05:53 PM

I think I've found the name. It's NATIONAL, at APPOLONIS, 17, which is about a 5-10 minute walk from the historic church in the Plaka ( very close to Syntagma ( sp?) Square. Good luck! We've used them a few times, and the service is very good, although they typically need two days to return the clothes to your hotel.
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

Wow! Thank you all for the very valuable information! I knew I would get an answer on our forum. Thanks again!