Athens and which islands?

Old Mar 27th, 2015, 12:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Athens and which islands?

We are thinking of a trip to Greece in September of this year. We have never been and will likely go with a travel agency to make arrangements. Has anyone else done this for Greece? Also, we would like to spend a couple of nights in Athens and three nights in Santorini. Other than that, it seems Naxos or Paros are recommended places. If we plan on being in Greece for 10 or 11 days, should we stick to 2 islands plus Athens, or is that even too much? Thanks for the first had advice!
Old Mar 27th, 2015, 03:02 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Using a Greek travel agent, one located in Athens, can be very helpful. This is the only place I have used a travel agent and it was wonderful to have to have the ferries and dlights taken care of. Santorini is my least facorite island, very touristy, huge cruise ship crowds.
Old Mar 27th, 2015, 03:26 PM
WWK

I don't think you really need a travel agent. Ten days in Greece is a relatively simple trip to arrange, and with all the Greek experts on board here, you'll be fine. Even ferry tickets can be handled easily online, though I personally prefer flying to the islands.

Yes, Athens and one or two islands should be fine in ten days. Though maybe a bit rushed.
Old Mar 27th, 2015, 05:13 PM

If you do choose to visit 2 islands along with Athens save Athens for the end so you have those days to get back to the mainland in case of an unforseen delay or cancellation of your return. Nothing will ruin your holiday faster than a stressful, last-minute dash for Athens, let alone missing your flight home! Try to book a flight that departs the airport for your first island, presumably Santorini, around 2 hours after your projected arrival in Greece. Santorini's also a much more pleasant place to sleep off your jet lag. If you're arriving after dark and if you're staying in a hotel on the cliff you'll have the added pleasure of waking up to that amazing view of the caldera.
Old Mar 28th, 2015, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. Good advice. We will use a travel agent likely, for peace of mind. We are thinking Santorini for 3 days, Naxos or Paros for 3, and Athens for 3 (last). Thanks!
Old Mar 31st, 2015, 07:52 AM

Here is why you will want to visit Naxos
Naxos Town http://www.flickr.com/photos/stanbr5...7632094558042/
A week in Naxos https://www.flickr.com/photos/stanbr...7645113682278/
Trip around Naxos http://www.flickr.com/photos/stanbr5...7634605629689/
Old Mar 31st, 2015, 03:43 PM
Original Poster

Stanbr - wowee! Thanks!
Old Apr 8th, 2015, 03:36 PM

I am also looking to do a similar trip but in August. Any suggestions on where to stay in Mykonos and Naxos? We are already booked for a villa cave in Oia, Santorini. Traveling with my teenage daughter. She loves beach, shopping, scuba, water sports, etc. Thanks
Old Apr 8th, 2015, 03:53 PM

We did a similar trip in 2005. Back then my research suggested using a travel agent in Athens. Although it is probably easier to plan now with so much more available on the internet. We stayed I Athens for 3 nights, ferried to Paris for 3, ferried to Santorini for 4 nights., then flew back to Athens for flight home. We loved Paros but would have liked Naxos. I had read that the best approach to Santorini is by boat for the spectacular view of the Caldera.You won't be disappointed! We stayed in Oia in a cave villa which was wonderful. I like the suggestion of saving Athens for last in case of delay getting back for your flight home. It was a wonderful trip!
Old Apr 8th, 2015, 06:24 PM
WWK

Gendy,

For a third visit to Naxos, I just booked HOTEL GALAXY. On previous visits we stayed at NISSAKI BEACH HOTEL, but it was sold out for our dates this summer. Both hotels are within walking distance of town.
Old Apr 8th, 2015, 07:29 PM

I endors the suggested time-tested approach of fly upon arrival to SANTORINI, then ferry via 3:30 daily BLUE STAR to NAXOS, then back to mainland for ATHENS for final days. Fluff224 adds a frequent recommend (not from personal experience but from "I had read") about ARRIVING to Santorini via ferry for the "spectacular view." Some people twist their itinerary into knots for that very reason .... however, those authorities who are always quoted never mention that the view is fully as spectacular when DEPARTING on a ferry. The key is the right ferry -- NOT a fast-ferry (catamaran) which has no outer decks or view. The Blue Star is big, modern lovely decks for taking pix, You leave y our big heavy bags on the car deck, just take your day bags with any valuable etc up to the top floor decks. Just get an "Economy ticket for the short (2 hr 15 mins) enjoyable "mini-cruise" to Naxos; more fun sitting on (sheltered) deck for the view and the breeze.
Old Apr 9th, 2015, 08:18 AM

Hi Gendy. Although I have never been to Naxos in August we travel in the shoulder season. Nevertheless I am going to suggest that given your daughters wants that St George beach area that WWK suggested will be a good fit. St George is a good sandy beach with shallow water. I suspect it will be fairly crowded in August but it is directly adjacent to Naxos town so you get a beach holiday with all the benefits of the town. Best is that St George is just far enough away (10 minute stroll)that you get a quiet place to sleep at night. Greece can be very noisy in town but St George is peaceful and quiet at night.
St George is lined with lots of hotels in every price range. Nissaki and Galaxy are on the high end of the range. Glaros and Studio Kalergis a bit less and Spiros on the lower end.
Here are images of St George and hotels we have visited.
St George Beach Hotels Naxos http://www.flickr.com/photos/stanbr5...7632162394787/

St George Beach Naxos http://www.flickr.com/photos/stanbr5...7632113170279/