Notices

DB Bahn - booking online and ID

Apr 9th, 2015, 07:58 AM
Original Poster

DB Bahn - booking online and ID

Well I just went to the DB site in English and I am a bit confused about booking online and acceptable ID for on the train. It says passports cannot be used and then it gives a list of acceptable ID cards for several EU countries. Can I pre-purchase these tickets with my AMEX? and use that for ID even tho there is no picture? What are US citizens supposed to use for ID if not passport? In the past we always bought tickets once on the ground but if I am able to purchase ahead of time - the tickets are about half price. Maybe I am missing /misunderstanding the process or my ability to do this from the US.
Apr 9th, 2015, 08:30 AM

Hi suec1,

I'm an American and have been buying online tickets with DB for a decade or so --

You use a credit card for id, yes, even though there is no picture.

Please note that you can designate ANY credit card as your id; you don't have to use the same cc for id that you used to buy your tickets. I always designate another cc for id. Just remember which cc you designated, and be sure to have that one available. You show the printed ticket and the designated cc to the conductor at the same time.

If you have a smart phone, you can also use it as a paperless ticket. Just download the app, then log in using the same login data you used online, and you'll be able to download the ticket. You can present the ticket without being online too.

Have fun as you plan!

s
Apr 9th, 2015, 08:33 AM

RailEurope in the U.S. now taps into the bahn.de site and can even have cheaper prices IME - a recent development so check www.raileurope.com too for those trains.
Apr 9th, 2015, 11:08 AM

Does DB accept AMEX - not unusual for European or Americana web sites not to.
Apr 9th, 2015, 11:29 AM

DB accepts Amex, even Diners Club

The only thing to keep in mind is to carry with you exactly that very credit card you designated as your ID when you booked the trip.

Search this Thread