Reload this Page >

Need information on church housing!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2nd, 2000, 07:36 PM
Barbara

I plan on going to Rome in May and would like to stay at a church-affiliated hotel or convent/nunnery. This is due to pricing and faith. I know how crowded Rome wiill be for Jubilee 2000, and I was hoping this would be a good alternative. Also, I will travelling alone and thought this would be a safer way to go. Not a big partier, so curfew is ok!! Any ideas would be a big help. (Or a safe/budget hotel idea - will be coming on train from Nice).

Old Jan 4th, 2000, 06:39 AM
Jo

You may want to take a look at guidebooks that tell you about these. Sandra's cheap sleep in Italy is a great book to start at. <BR>

Old Jan 4th, 2000, 11:11 AM
Paulo

I never used a convent room in Rome, Barbara. You may get some info at <BR> <BR>http://www.santasusanna.org/html/lodging.html <BR> <BR>To get a complete listing of lodging in religious institutions, try writing to: <BR> <BR>Vicariato di Roma, <BR>Piazza S Giovanni 6 <BR>00184 Rome, Italy <BR> <BR>or to <BR> <BR>Ente Provinciale per il Turismo di Roma <BR>Via Parigi, 11 <BR>00185 Rome <BR> <BR>Paulo <BR>

Old Jan 4th, 2000, 11:42 AM
KT

I've never stayed at a religious house, but I did notice that a couple of new books devoted (no pun intended) to such lodgings in Italy arrived at bookstores last year -- aiming at the Jubilee market, I assume. I bought The Guide to Lodging in Italian Monasteries by Eileen Barish at a used bookstore just for my collection, but I haven't actually used it. Despite the title, it has lodgings for both genders. I remember that there's also one called Bed and Blessings.

Old Jan 4th, 2000, 12:18 PM
Rex

Sunday, September 26, 1999 <BR> <BR>A Convent in the Eternal City Offers Enduring, Endearing Charm for Visitors. <BR> By SUSAN SPANO, Times Travel Writer <BR> <BR>from the Los Angeles Times <BR> <BR>http://www.latimes.com/travel/trspan...000000024.html <BR> <BR>Read all about Casa di Santa Brigida here. <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex

Old Jan 4th, 2000, 03:58 PM
Barbara

Thanks for all the info everyone. I can't wait to check them all out!!! <BR> <BR>Barb