Reload this Page >

Need Herculaneum web site

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 06:44 PM
Pat

We're planning a visit to Herculaneum and need more information. Looking for floor plans, building information and maps. Are there books on this site you can buy in Naples or Pompeii?

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 02:41 AM
Pauline

This site has stacks of photos.<BR><BR>http://wings.buffalo.edu/AandL/Maece..._contents.html

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 04:57 AM
leo

Hi,<BR><BR>There is a book I got at the library, but it is out of print. I believe the author is Dietz. Your libray can certainly request it for you, it is definately worth reading. It has a map of the excavations. I enlarged it and read the book to map out all the major houses. This made the visit much more understandable for me. One word of warning is that several years (8-10) before the events of 69AD there was a rather large earthquake in Herculaneum. As a result some large houses were partially destroyed and as they were rebuilt they were subdivided into several smaller units. So it is sometime a little difficult to find the exact house walls. I found it was very much worth my time to read and map out the area before my visit. it made the history so much more alive. Good Luck and have a wonderful visit.

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 07:50 AM
Pat

thanks for the info!

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 08:17 AM
GAC

There are ten pages of descriptions (as well as a detailed map) in the Blue Guide to Southern Italy (9th edition, June 2000). Also look in the Touring Club Italiano/Heritage Guide of Naples and Surroundings (in English).