Need Helpful Hints for Half Day Hadrian's Wall Stop

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6th, 2022, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts

On one of our days in England, we will be driving from Durham to Bamburgh via Hadrian's Wall sites. Of these, what realistically could we see in about four to five hours and which ones would you recommend over the others? Thanks. I better get in shape!

Corbridge Roman Town
Aydon Castle
Hexham Abbey
Temple of Mithras
Homesteads Roman Fort & Museum
Sycamore Gap Tree
Vindolanda/Roman Museum
Cawfield's Wall
Walltown Crags Roman Wall
Old Apr 6th, 2022, 12:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
On our trip to the area, quite a while back, my wife and I were dropped at Steel Rigg (nr Once Brewed) and walked about three miles to the Housesteads Fort where we were picked up agin by my in-laws. It takes a little over an hour and passes through some beautiful areas. I recommend the fort, and Vindolanda as well, which is set back from the wall. The museum there has some interesting and even moving artifacts. The temple of Mithras as I recall was underwhelming, but takes only a minute to see.

If you cannot make the walk, the views from Steel Rigg are still worth a short stop.
Old Apr 6th, 2022, 03:15 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Homesteads Housesteads Roman Fort & Museum

Housesteads is great but is a real time eater because of the distances from the car park and visitors centre.

For efficiency and a good variety, I'd probably do Vindolanda, MithrasTemple (a short stop) and Chesters
Old Apr 6th, 2022, 04:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
"Homesteads Housesteads Roman Fort & Museum"

janis, You have proved that a "house" is not a "home." Thanks.
Old Apr 6th, 2022, 05:51 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
If you do go to Chesters, be sure to wander all the way down to the Bathhouse next to the river. Really interesting complex plus the lovely views over the river (last two times I was there the rapeseed fields across the river were in full bloom with the neon bright yellow.

If you do skip Housesteads, I suggest you stop at Steel Rigg for a fabulous panoramic view of the Wall. Steel Rigg car park is about half a mile north of Once Brewed and Vindolanda is about a mile south of the same junction. Durham > Once Brewed/Steel Rigg/Vindolanda > Chesters > Bamburgh is about 3 hours total drive time.

The Crown Inn is less than a mile from Chesters -- good range of real ales and traditional pub grub.
Old Apr 28th, 2022, 06:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking forward o your adventures! Following...
Old Apr 29th, 2022, 04:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I visited Chesters, Vindolanda and Housesteads. Do not miss the Roman Army Museum at Vindolanda. I found the site at Chesters the best for understanding the layout (all the forts were basically the same), plus it had better shelter from the wind!