need help with switzerland itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14th, 2010, 06:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need help with my itinerary for some ideas.

reaching frankfurt at 7.30 am on 16th. Cannot stay in frankfurt and hence can head to one of three directions----

Need to find out how to buy ticket from frankfurt to 1 st station in switzerland where i can activate our swiss pass. that way we can do it the cheapest way.

Direction 1:
16th sept: go to zurich and then head out to chur ( overnight in chur)to take the bernina express on the 17th.

Direction 2: go to lucerne direct and then rest there and take the golden pass on the 17th

Direction 3: head to geneva straight on the 16th rest there overnight and do reverse from montreux to interlaken on the 17th. rick steves recommends interlaken to montreux as the most scenic.

Sept 18 th: need ideas

sept 19th: need ideas

Sept 20th: need ideas

Sept 21st to Sept 25th: Stay in Lauterbrunnen and do jungfrau region. Hopefully 4 days are sufficient for the BO area. Head to Zurich stay overnight to catch a flight on 26th am.

We would like to cover Lucerne, possibly ticino area, geneva region. Any rearranging will work. except we cannot get the type of accomodation in Lauterbrunnen till 18th or 19th.

I was thinking of trying to do the bungee jump from the goldeneye jump at vescaya dam.

I will be buying 1st class pass for 6 days or even end up paying for the 15 days pass even though its not necessary just in case for two adults and 1 child/( savers pass and family pass).

how far in advance should i do reservations for the scenic trains.

I will also look at any other ideas.

Thanks a bunch.
Old Aug 14th, 2010, 06:42 PM

I would love to help you, but I'm confused. What specifically do you need help on?
Old Aug 14th, 2010, 08:05 PM

I have done some of your itinerary before. I'll comment on the part of your itinerary interests I have done and know some about. You're flying into Frankfurt on the 16th of September? I am not sure what the timetable of that Frankfurt to Lucern trip might be. I am guessing quite a long journey in terms of time. It looks as though if you were to hop on a train from Frankfurt over to Lucen Switzerland, it would be about 4 hours or so I'm guessing. You said you have a Swiss rail pass?I would check in with the Frankfurt station and ask them what kind of ticket would cover the German portion of your journey. Once you get in Switzerland, your Swiss pass will become valid for the Swiss portion of your travels. I would head to Lucerne From Frankfurt. Knock around a day or so there. Take in the old world charm there. Then head to the Jungfrau region for a few days. You mentioned Chur. I have to confess ignorance on Chur since I have never stayed there. Been through there, but never stayed there. Be sure to check in at the Frankfurt rail station though. I am almost certain that you can buy a ticket there for the German portion of your journey. I am almost as certain that once you get on the train, the Railway agents on the train will validate your Swiss pass. But take a few minutes to stop in the Frankffurt rail station ticket office. They can clear up any questions fast! Check out this web site. They have timetable departures and arrivals on this site. Assuming you can get through passport control and pick up your luggage in time, you just might be able to get out on the 8:50 AM train to Lucern, Switzerland. I did a search for the connection and hopefully you could get on the 8:50 AM train. Here is the web site:

http://fahrplan.sbb.ch/bin/query.exe...43532&OK#focus. Click online timetable.

I would head to Lucern first, then over to Jungrau region (Wengen, Grindlewald, lauterbrunnen area). Good luck.
Old Aug 14th, 2010, 08:12 PM

Try this link to the Swiss rail web site.Click on on-line timetables. http://www.sbb.ch/en/
Old Aug 14th, 2010, 10:05 PM

Hi borivlikar1,

Yes, entering at Frankfurt will make your first few days a real headache. Your closest destination, Luzern, is still four hours away, and you don't even want to spend time there. After an overnight flight and a long train ride upon landing, you may want to just sit still for a day or two and not move on immediately. So I would aim for a place where I wanted to stay!

The train trip from Frankfurt station to Montreux takes about six hours with two or three changes. If it were me, I would just suck it up and take the long train ride to get where I wanted to be. I would spend 16th (evening), 17-20 right there at Lake Geneva and enjoy the environment.

You may want to adjust your days a bit to spend maybe three nights in Montreux, then six nights in the Jungfrau area, then two or three nights in Luzern before your flight out of Zürich.

BTW, there are lots of other places to stay in the Jungfrau area in addition to Lauterbrunnen; it might be worthwhile to adjust your schedule and then get accommodations to fit. I prefer the village of Wengen, which sits on the mountain (Lauterbrunnen tends to put me off).

Also btw, the very same rail site, easier to type, is at

www.rail.ch

Have fun!

s
Old Aug 15th, 2010, 04:29 AM
Original Poster

@ swandav....i checked into fra main hbf to geneve. train leaves about 10.50am and reaches 4.46 pm. Are there meal options on the trains or we have to pick something at the airport itself? If at the airport itself...any suggestions where we can eat....we are vegetarians....
How do i know which option in the menu indicates that the train station is of the airport or i need to go to some central station and then take the intercity train?

@treplow.....i am thinking of switzerland as a clock.....do i start clockwise or go anticlockwise. its kinda difficult to decide since our starting point is frankfurt airport. I am trying to see what scenic trains people have liked and done with kids...as well as any pointers for day trips for one more base in switzerland. Lauterbrunnen portion is fixed. I could have switched it around to the earlier part...but no good accomodations are available( looking for self serve apartments).

Does anyone have ideas in terms of the rail pass. or does the 15 days pass 1st class look the safest?

Thanks everyone.

@sunstar....you mentioned about going thru chur. Where did you overnight at ? because one way or the other we do intend to do the bernina express. so what would be a good base to do that. Mind you we would have atleast 4 pieces of luggage and a very active 4 year old.
Old Aug 15th, 2010, 04:30 AM
Original Poster

Need accomodation recos for lucerne and geneva. Should i stay in montreux instead of geneve?
Old Aug 15th, 2010, 05:45 AM

Hi borivlidar1,

I don't much like big cities, so I didn't even check the train schedule to Geneva -- the information I gave was for Montreux.

Not sure if you are using the SBB online site for your train schedules; if you are, the train station at the airport is simply "Frankfurt airport."

I always like to buy a picnic for my train trips -- cheeses, German yogurt, local wine, chocolate, prepared salads, nuts, fruits, and fresh bread. I think that would be the way to go.

With four pieces of luggage and a four-year-old, you would probably have a more enjoyable trip with fewer, rather than more, stops. You can stay at each place and explore locally; you won't run out of things to do.

Have fun!

s
Old Aug 15th, 2010, 07:53 AM

@ Borivlikar1

Chur is one of the few places that I have not actually stayed at in Switzerland. Were you still planning to spend some time over in the Jungfrau region?
Old Aug 15th, 2010, 08:07 AM

I will be buying 1st class pass for 6 days or even end up paying for the 15 days pass even though its not necessary just in case for two adults and 1 child/( savers pass and family pass).>

I would look at the 3-day Flexipass - and in between the first and last day of 100% covered travel you get 50% off almost everything that moves in Switzerland - use the 3 100% days for your longest, most expensive trips then pay 50% for other days - or if economic buy a 4th or 5th, etc 100% covered day - go to www.sbb.ch to see if the extra day above the minimum of 3 is worth - you would get 50% off without buying say a 4th day so to break even the 4th day's transportation would have to cost twice what regular tickets cost at sbb.ch

Anyway for loads of great info on Swiss trains, lake boats, scenic specialty trains like Golden Pass, etc i always spotlight these fantastic sites - www.swisstravelsystem.com (use links there to specialty scenic trains to make seat reservations even without yet buying a pass or a ticket); www.budgeteuropetravel.com; www.seat61.com; www. ricksteves.com
Old Aug 16th, 2010, 12:39 AM
Original Poster

Is it possible to use the golden pass line or any of the scenic trains like means of transport to get from one place to the other. what i mean is can i essentially move pieces of luggage from one place to other....or are these trains geared only towards great views but not to carry luggage?

Do major stations like lucern, interlaken, zurich, geneva have luggage storing facilities either for the day or a full day and overnite? this would carryons and maybe one 26 inch suitcase or 29 inch suitcase. what kind of prices am i looking at?

@swandav....when i used rail.ch it just said frankfurt(main) hbf...am hoping it is the airport. Correct me if i am looking at it the wrong way.Also u mentioned abt using the picnic meal. Is there a supermarket at frankfurt airport where we can load up?

@palenq...i am investigating options into regiopass OB and flexipass as well just to c what might come up.

@ sunstar ....i am staying in lauterbrunnen for about 4/5 days. That should cover me.

Does anyone know what is the most scenic part of bernina and will tell express? for eg...i intend to do only the interlaken to montreux portion of goldenpass line. any helpful hints would help.
Old Aug 16th, 2010, 12:41 AM
Original Poster

what are good sites to book hotels/bnb in switzerland apart from the foll

bnb.ch
booking.com
Old Aug 16th, 2010, 02:45 AM

Golden Pass trains have plenty of room to store luggage; even in the panorama cars
Old Aug 16th, 2010, 05:24 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
how old are the kids?

My teens think a scenic train ride is an invitation for a long nap.

I like the Bernina Express - have taken it 3xs. It seems to bore everyone I've done it with though... esp Husband and kids...

William Tell the most scenic part is the boat ride section that starts in Luzern. Gorgeous. Even my husband had to look up from the paper a few time

Be sure to reserve well in advance and be sure to get specific seat reservations on the scenic trains.

gruezi
Old Aug 16th, 2010, 06:17 AM
Original Poster

Hi gruezi,

my son is 4 years old. so i am thinking of going to fra to geneva straight. spend a day there and then take the golden pass to montreux to interlaken from where we can do lucerne( day trip).

From interlaken we can go to lauterbrunnen where we are going to stay about 4 days( is that sufficicent)
Old Aug 16th, 2010, 06:29 AM

If you're looking for a chill-out day, I stayed at the hotel below for a night last year and loved it. Website says kids over 4 welcome, so you should be okay there. It's not far from Montreux. There are probably similar places that others can recommend, this is just the one I've experienced. You can also do it as a daytrip and just pay for the pool access, no need to stay overnight.

http://www.lavey-les-bains.ch/index.php
Old Aug 16th, 2010, 07:14 AM

Last week we stayed at this apartment and I loved it!
David the owner was great help and the apartment is so well located, you can walk to Montreux and to the Chateau Chillon.

http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-ren...D_link_LPROP_1

"My teens think a scenic train ride is an invitation for a long nap".

Mine survived, actually they liked it as the scenery is just priceless. The Golden Panoramic Train is not meant to transport people with tons of luggage, but we made it and some others also. You just seat in your cubicle and put the luggage between seats or under your table, everything doable. The Golden train is cheaper than the regular train, so I would take it.
Old Aug 16th, 2010, 07:26 AM

Hi again,

Yes, the trains that run on the Golden Pass route have room for your bags. There are regular trains that run the route, and there are trains that have coaches with larger windows, but both have plenty of room for bags.

No the station you list there is the main station in the center of town. You need to input "Frankfurt airport" to get the airport station.

Looks like your plans are coming together!

s
Old Aug 16th, 2010, 11:31 AM

s it possible to use the golden pass line or any of the scenic trains like means of transport to get from one place to the other. what i mean is can i essentially move pieces of luggage from one place to other....or are these trains geared only towards great views but not to carry luggage?

I assume you mean the Send a Bag Ahead scheme where you 'check' your bag in say Interlaken-Ost and retrieve it later in say Montreux or Lucerne - leaving you luggage free druing the ride - and answer is Yes - same as any train - actually your bags would probably go on another of hourly regular trains -not guaranteed to be on your train just that it will be at your destination station by 5pm (or whatever time) - 15 Swiss Francs or so a bag.
Old Aug 16th, 2010, 12:57 PM

>when i used rail.ch it just said frankfurt(main) hbf...am hoping it is the airport.

HBf means main station.

If you want to depart from the airport, then just enter Frankfurt Airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -